Thread: Inshore bluefin tuna in the fall

Default Inshore bluefin tuna in the fall

They call them ghost fish because you see them briefly, get one or 2 shots, and then they are gone. Some have shown up here on the South shore, and a few guys are going nuts chasing them. I read this on another site, they finally got a nice one. Congrats to those guys!
    I would be stoked for a week if I got one.

The report:
    "Someone one the radio said "ill believe there are Bluefin off the beach when I see a report on Noreast otherwise Im not believing it"..well here you go. Went out Sunday in search of the Bluefin that was chattering across the radio, found them busting on top in 52 feet of water trolled over them with some spreader bars and ballyhoo when the deep, deep ballyhoo rod starts screaming. Fought the fish for over 2 hours on a small tuna setup, it was a very different fight due to the depth of the water much of the fight was up on the surface which was very cool to see, we finally got the fish boatside and were able to gaff it and put the beautiful 59 inch Bluefin in the boat, the Bluefin are moving through off the beaches, first the Threshers over the summer and now Bluefin in December. heres some pics... "
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12-4-11 bluefin2.jpg   12-4-11 bluefin1.jpg  

12-4-11 bluefin3.jpg  

Great report, there are lots of guys chasing these and very few hooking up. It is frustrating as hell. I had friends chasing them all day the day that guy got one in the surf at Bay Head. Good for him but it's disappointing when you are out there burning gallons of fuel chasing all over with specialized jigs and such, and a lucky guy hits on on the head in the surf. They are truly the ghosts of the fall.

Yeah, but instead of travelling to the canyons they are getting them within sight of the beach, Awesome catch dudes, congrats!

Another one today, Miss Belmar Princess. Congrats on a great catch.

"Don Marantz didn't do well jigging stripers aboard Miss Belmar Princess today, but he witnessed a most unusual event when a bluefin tuna in the 150-pound class was boated at Shrewsbury Rocks. It hit a jig worked by an angler from Hunterdon County, but was a group effort also fought by the mate and other patrons on tackle a tuna that size would normally strip in the blink of an eye. Capt. Len Forsyth followed the tuna until the most unusual catch was secured. Striper fishing was poor at the Rocks, but working birds were later located off Asbury Park where shorts and a few keeper bass were caught."

Fish is illegal as it was over 57"

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

A fitting end to a strange year....