Thread: why they carry guns in Alaska!

Default why they carry guns in Alaska!

Never know when a brown bear might turn up.

Why They Carry Guns In Alaska

Posted on February 26th, 2011 in Bear |

Here’s a look at the dangers of living in the back woods of Alaska. This is the story as it came to me.
    Friends,

Have I got a story for you guys!
    King season is over, and since I had a day off before silvers start, I thought I would go for a walk! This occurred at 11:16 am this morning (Sunday), just 2/10 of a mile from my house, ON OUR ROAD while walking my dogs (trying to get in shape for hunting season, ironically!) for the record, this is in a residential area-not back in the woods, no bow hunting, no stealth occurring…
    I heard a twig snap, and looked back…full on charge-a huge brownie, ears back, head low and motorin’ full speed! Came with zero warning; no woof, no popping of the teeth, no standing up, nothing like what you think or see on TV! It charged from less than 20 yards and was on me in about one-second! Totally surreal. I just started shooting in the general direction, and praise God that my second shot (or was it my third?) rolled him at 5 feet and he skidded to a stop 10 feet BEYOND where I was shooting from. I actually sidestepped him and fell over backwards on the last shot, and his momentum carried him to a stop past where I fired my first shot!
    It was a prehistoric old boar-no teeth, no fat-weighed between 900-1000 lbs and took five men to DRAG it onto a tilt-bed trailer! Big bear. Its Paw measured out at about a 9 1/2 footer!
    Never ever thought “it” would happen to me! It’s always some other smuck, right?
    Well, no bull. I am still high on adrenaline, with my gut in a Knot. Feels like I did 10000 crunches without stopping! Almost puked for an hour after, had the burps and couldn’t even stand up as the troopers conducted their investigation! Totally wiped me out-cant even put that feeling into words, by far the most emotion I have ever felt at once!
    No doubt that God was with me, as I brought my Ruger .454 Casull (and some “hot” 350 grain solids) just for the heck of it, and managed to draw and snap shoot (pointed, never even aimed!) from the hip! Total luck shot!
    All I can say is Praise God for my safety and for choosing to leave the wife and kids at home on this walk! Got a charter tomorrow, so gonna TRY to get some sleep now!
    Talk to ya soon,
    Greg & Sherri
    Soldotna , AK 99669

[Show as slideshow]

Tags: Big Brown Bear

No Comments

Dude those bear paws are huge!

Wow, that's some story. Imagine if we had to deal with that type of wildliffe in our area. That guy had some one watching out for him. It was a residential area luck no kids were around.

vpass if a bear that big ever came after me I would crap my pants! Hoping the smell of the crap would turn him off, but maybe not. That is one huge mofo!

Does a bear **** in the woods? I think so - therefore you crapping in your pants would probably make you smell more appetizing. Either way you would be dinner unless you had a big enough bullet to put holes in his brain like that guy did.