Thread: Looking for suggestions on a nice rod/reel combo for 100-150$ max

Default Looking for suggestions on a nice rod/reel combo for 100-150$ max

BEING THE NEWBIE I AM THE 1ST SALTWATER POLE I PUIRCHASED WAS A 50$ SHAKESPEARE ALPHA BIGWATER COMBO FROM WALMART . GOT OUT THERE ALOT EARLIER IN THE YEAR AND REALLY BEAT THE HELL OUT OF IT! LOOKING TO GET SOMETHING NEW. AN ALL AROUND COMBO THAT WILL DO THE JOB ON THE SURF, PIERS AND ANYWHERE ELSE I CAN FISH USING BAIT & LURES.

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

HEY DARK SORRY IF THERE IS A SECTION THIS TOPIC WOULD BE MORE SUITABLE FOR BUT WHEN I GET ON I LIKE TO STICK TO THE JERSEY FORUM

THINGS HAVE BEEN PICKING UP ON MY END SO I PLAN TO GET ALOT OF FISHING IN AGAIN

Are you looking for a surf combo to fish for the rest of the fall bass, a blackfish combo, or something to throw 8 and bait with? Are you throwing artificials as well? Youi might be better off getting 2 combos. just saying

Hey guys thanks I am looking for a combo like that too. Hope you don't mind me joining your thread, extreme. but I would be interested in the answers. I think in my case I could buy 2, each being no more than $125, for a total of $250. I think jigfreak made a good point about different combos. I would use one for the surf slinging bait and fishing some inlets, And the 2nd I think could be lighter as I would want to use it in the surf only, and for light plugging and fishing, nothing like throwing the big pencil poppers or snagging bunker, mostly just throwing plugs in the 1-3oz range. Thanks and sorry for the hijack.

WELL I HAVE BEEN USING THE 1 I HAVE FOR EVERYTHING...SURF, PIERS, ROCKS. USING BAIT, DIAMOND HEAD JIGS, POPPERS. HAVENT GOTTEN A CHANCE TO USE THE PLUG I GOT (COURTESY OF DARKS MONTHLY DRAWING ).

IM THINKING ABOUT GETTING EITHER A PENN FIERCE SPINNING REEL OR THE SARGUS. WHAT CAN I SAY I JUST LIKE THE WAY THEY LOOK AND THEY MEET MY BUDGET

SO ANY OPINIONS ON THOSE WOULD B GREAT. AND A NICE ROD FOR AROUND 50$. AIMING TOWARDS SOMETHING 7FT AS I REALLY DONT LIKE DEALING WITH THIS 9FT I HAVE. HOPING TO GET SOMETHING REAL SENSETIVE THAT CAN HANDLE THE BASS, BLUES, FLUKE, BLACKFISH AND WHATEVER COMES MY WAY AT THE INLETS AND PIERS.

AS FOR THE SURF....WELL I GUESS I CAN GRAB A POLE JUST FOR THAT DOWN THE ROAD.

Dude, tica makes some affordable rods, the UEHA series are good and the Dolphin series are a little better with the guides and hardware. $75-90. I have had both and was happy with them for light duty. I would get an 8' rod if I were you, more versatility.

Here is a description from digital dagger, hope it is ok to list it here. Google them

NEW TICA UEHA Series Graphite Surf Rod with Cork Grips
    Brand new Tica Spinning 2pc Rod with one year warranty.
    TICA Surf Rod with Cork Grips, Top of the Line Tica Rod.
    Just in, First thing I did was to grab one for me.
    Better than Lamiglas-Fenwick-St Croix-G Loomis
    The Best Fast Action Rod I have ever used!
    You will not be disappointed with is one.
    The UEHA630501S 10' rod is listed as heavy, fast action, 2-8 oz, line 12-30. Flat Graphite Blank Black, with high gloss Black wrapping, with silver bands. Guides are coated Titania hardloy dissipates heat, 3 leg footed guides are high quality Stainless Steel. Off set 2 piece rod with the handle the shorter of the two, has the graphite G20 rubber seat. The cork handle runs above and below reel seat, with a rubber end cap.

Btw, when you type in all caps on the internet some people take it as "SHOUTING!!!" No offense but maybe you want to change that, my eyes hurt from reading an all caps post. Good luck and happy holidays

For a reel think about a Penn Spinfisher. They have been around for a long time and will take some abuse. I think you can get one for around $70, model 550sg.

Penn Spinfisher 550SSG Spinning Reel NIB
    US $69.99

I would definitely go with 2 setups like jigfreak said. If you try to plug with a bait rod it won't be sensitive enough and you won't be able to throw the smaller plugs.

Default .

THEREIS NO REASON FOR ME TO SHOUTING..SOME PEOPLE JUST KEEP THE CAP LOCK ON..LIKE ME THERES ALOT OF OTHER MORE IMPORTANT THINGS IN LIFE PEOPLE CAN BE WORRYING ABOUT OTHER THEN THAT. IVE HEARD THAT YELLING THING A FEW TIMES THOUGH. THANKS FOR THE ADVICE ON THE SETUPS.

Quote Originally Posted by plugcrazy View Post
    Btw, when you type in all caps on the internet some people take it as "SHOUTING!!!" No offense but maybe you want to change that, my eyes hurt from reading an all caps post. Good luck and happy holidays

Quote Originally Posted by xtreme_visions View Post
    THEREIS NO REASON FOR ME TO SHOUTING..SOME PEOPLE JUST KEEP THE CAP LOCK ON..LIKE ME THERES ALOT OF OTHER MORE IMPORTANT THINGS IN LIFE PEOPLE CAN BE WORRYING ABOUT OTHER THEN THAT. IVE HEARD THAT YELLING THING A FEW TIMES THOUGH. :huh: THANKS FOR THE ADVICE ON THE SETUPS.

Just fyi extremevisions, my eyes hurt reading that too. When you present your material so it is irritating to the reader, they are less likely to read it and help you. Plugcrazy gave you good advice, and you said other people have said the same thing to you.

Maybe it's time to listen to some of the honest feedback you are getting. It seems like folks here have tried to help you, so the advice about you shouting should be listened to as well. My .02. Have a Happy Holiday and good luck for next year.

Yeah dude all caps is a PITA to read, just saying.
    For a good cheap rod within what you mentioned for spending, you might want to look at the Ugly stik. They make a 7' rod you can get for around $50. They aren't as good as they used to be but the guarantee is there. Check them out.
    J&H in LI has a 2/1 sale on 6'9" ugly stiks 2 for $70, might be up your alley.

http://www.jandh.com/p-1697-shakespe...ting-rods.aspx

Most of the time when i reply it auto converts my caps into lowercase. Im using all caps now lets see what happens. Sorry if i forget sometimes guys. Strange it would hurt peoples eyes. To me it looks alot easier to read. I strain my eyes looking at these small letters. Maybe i need a checkout lol

Need an eye Doctor? Allow me to recommend one, this is the chart mine uses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sexy-eye-chart.jpg  

I must need 1 i can only see the 2 top rows. Lol sorry guys for offending everyone with a style of text. Lets just all get along and look past the minor things. And thanks dark for adding some sort of cap lock protection to this site for me lol

fyi i do yell alot while im fishing! Lol especially when im in perth amboy. Somebody is always getting me heated

anyway happy holidays to u all. Ill start the new year off with no cap lock.

Quote Originally Posted by xtreme_visions View Post
    And thanks dark for adding some sort of cap lock protection to this site for me lol
    Xtreme, wish I could but that's not within my skill set....don't let the guys and their comments get ya down. Here ya get honesty, and help at the same time....some of the mooks here are a little opinionated, but they ain't a bad bunch, once ya get to know em....Best wishes in your search...

must b something set within the forum u did not even know about. because i am still typing and always have typed with all cap locks and most of the time it converts when i post. yeah i dont let what people say get me down. maybe it is there computer settings because everything is okay on my end. big or small i can read it without a problem. the search is over i went with this setup right here

http://www.tackledirect.com/penn-970...ing-combo.html