Thread: Review: Quantum escalade hd 40

Default Review: Quantum escalade hd 40

Anybody ever use this reel? Would love to hear peoples opinions on it. Hope i made a wise choice

not a saltwater reel

^ What gjb1969 said, not really made for the salt and made with lots of plastic crap.
    Some reviews I found

1.No, I would not recommend this to a friend
    Comments about Quantum Escalade Spinning Reel:
    When I bought the first one, the plastic piece at the back of the frame was broken [...]. When I got reel replaced, the same piece of plastic broke off completely the first day I used it. It still works but not well - the bail doesn't close completely when you flip it by hand and doesn't close at all when you start reeling. This is the first product review I've ever written but was incredibly disappointed in this reel. [$] wasted

No, I would not recommend this to a friend
    Comments about Quantum Escalade Spinning Reel:
    please do not consider... bought both spinning and baitcaster and after 6 months.... replacing both... very poor quality

imo its good for a freshwater reel but if you get it wet it's a throw-away. Good luck

^^^ I agree if you get water or sand near it it's a goner. Did the guy where you bought it say you could use it in salt water? If so I would take it back and exchange for something else.

Quote Originally Posted by xtreme_visions View Post
    Hope i made a wise choice
    take it back and get a SW one, Penn makes some affordable ones that wont break the bank.

Yeah this sucks! Lol now i gotta take it back.the guy put power pro on it for me and was talkin to me about catchin stripers. He told me the rod was to big for the reel but he obviously didnt know much because he never said it was a freshwater reel. I like the fierce from penn what do u guys think..thanks again guys

I think you get 4 ball bearings with the Fierce. For a few dollars more (60-80dollars online) you can get a Sargus, imo a lot better value, 5 ball bearings, and will hold up in the salt. You want to think about this setup as lasting a long time. I saw your other thread and you said your other stuff was falling apart. This Sargus is not high end end you can't dunk it but it is still a lot better than the quantum.

Review of the sargus;

I own the Sargus 5000 reel and what a beauty. This reel has become my go to reel from popping plugs to chucking bait. It is smooth, casts great and has the drag and power to let big fish run, stop them and reel them in. I bought this reel in the early part of the summer of 2011 and I have caught many a striper, blues and fluke with it. Biggest striper to date so far was 41 inches, a 35 inch blue and a 25 inch fluke and the reel handle them all with ease. I have also reeled in two big skates with my reel, now they don't fight much, they just lay dead and bury themselves in the sand but this reel had no problem pulling them off the bottom, it also helps to have a great rod for that too. I even caught a nice 10 pound false albie from the surf with it. After four and half months of heavy use, my reel is still out of the box smooth. Only complaint is that it scratches too easily, but it is metal and that is what happens. Great reel, I also have the Penn Fierce 4000 and I just bought the Sargus big brother, the Penn Battle 7000 because of how much I love my Sargus and Penn reels

sargus specs;

Product Features

• Full metal body and sideplate keep precise gear alignment under heavy loads
    • Machined and anodized aluminum spool
    • 5 sealed stainless steel ball bearings
    • Stainless steel main shaft
    • HT-100 drag washers provide smooth drag under heavy loads

Product Description

The Sargus Metal Spinning Reel from Penn features a tough, corrosion resistant build with powerful gearing, well suited to multiple applications in both fresh and saltwater. Built Penn tough, with an aluminum alloy body, covers, and rotor, the Sargus' powerful inside gearing is well protected for years of high performance use. The Sargus is equipped with 5 ball bearings and 1 Infinite Anti Reverse roller bearing with a single Double Dog Back-up System for rock solid hooksets. Thanks to the latest in computer and stereo-lithography modeling, the Techno-Balanced rotor remains steady and solid even during the big fights, and the reels' high speed gearing moves baits quickly and helps anglers fight fish with efficiency. The handle on the Sargus reels can be converted to either right or left hand retrieve, and is equipped with an oversized handle knob for extra comfort and control during the battle. Finally, the Sargus features a sealed drag system, a non-twist line roller, and a machined aluminum spool for maximum reliability, durability, and performance wherever you choose to do battle. Backed by a 1-year warranty from Penn.

Features:
    • Sealed Drag System
    • Non-Twist Line Roller
    • Techno-Balanced Rotor
    • Machined Aluminum Spool
    • Aluminum Frame and Rotor
    • Infinite Anti-Reverse plus Single Dog Back-Up??

Thanks..yeah i had that 1 in mind to but did not see 1 at *****. Guess i will just get my money back and hit another spot..thanks guys. Just learned over greasing/oiling reels can mess them up. I think that is what happened. I was cleaning and oiling my reel alot. Newbie mistake lol

What made me choice this reel over the penn i had my eye on was the fact that it was on sale reg price 120$ on sale for 70$ so i thought i was getting a decent reel at a great price..they fooled me with this plastic junk. And i ran across the reviews about the bottom plastic pieces falling off on a couple of people. Same thing happened when i got home. I thought the guy broke it putting the line on. Thanks for all the help guys.

Hey xtreme I was a newbie too. I came to this site and the guys gave me a lot of advice. Some of it I didn't like because they made me work for it. Finchaser, Monty, Surfwalker, and a lot of other guys. Especially Dark because he is like a darn drill sergeant. But I began to see that it was all good and I learned allot here. They busted me and teased me too, all part of the process. I will say that making me work to learn the things I did taught me a lot more than if someone just handed it to me. Now when I go out there I don't feel like a newbie anymore and I try to put what I learned at Sandy Hook into practice in other places. With all the dredging they are doing we have to step up the game to still be able to catch.

Next year I want to conquer the rocks and learn the jetties. I see that you fish in the inlets sometimes. Do you ever go out on the front and fish with korkers? That is something I definitely want to add to my skill set. So welcome, and good luck!

no i do not own a pair of those yet. few weeks ago was the 1st time i fished rocks.