I've been through a lot in life....

Back when I was a drunk...
Been shot at, stabbed, many other close calls in life...one time in Alphabet City I had a gang of guys come after me with sticks and clubs because I asked one of their members not to "tag" his name near my motorcycle as the spray was getting near my paint job... lots of stories that I lived to tell, and am lucky to be here today...

Recently...
Been out in the LI Sound at night, in the shipping lanes, when the tankers with few lights creep up on ya....scary chit....

Kayaked up at Orient Point, one of the most dangerous rips on the East Coast.....

I'm not trying to be macho about it,. these are the challenges I set for myself

Fished Jbay when the swells suddenly built to 3' and winds were 25mph one day (reason to get off the water quickly)

Never have a problem kayaking by myself at night, even in the darkest areas...I feel at home on the water......

Fish rock jetties regularly, have taken many seriious falls over the years....

But I am scared to death of the cold, specifically dying in cold water....

I'm not too embarassed to admit it, and thought it would be a good thead topic.....

What are your feelings about cold water yakking?

What preparations have you made, and will continue to make? (obvious answer is the dry suit, I'm looking for additional opinions as welll)

What guidelines do you want to learn, to make your time fishing in cold water environments a safer experience?

What stories do you have, to help others?

That's why I did this folks...no topic is too embarassing if it saves a life....
so let's hear some opinions....thanks!