Thread: "I'm afraid of the cold".....how to deal with that real fear...

Default "I'm afraid of the cold".....how to deal with that real fear...

I've been through a lot in life....

Back when I was a drunk...
    Been shot at, stabbed, many other close calls in life...one time in Alphabet City I had a gang of guys come after me with sticks and clubs because I asked one of their members not to "tag" his name near my motorcycle as the spray was getting near my paint job... lots of stories that I lived to tell, and am lucky to be here today...

Recently...
    Been out in the LI Sound at night, in the shipping lanes, when the tankers with few lights creep up on ya....scary chit....

Kayaked up at Orient Point, one of the most dangerous rips on the East Coast.....

I'm not trying to be macho about it,. these are the challenges I set for myself

Fished Jbay when the swells suddenly built to 3' and winds were 25mph one day (reason to get off the water quickly)

Never have a problem kayaking by myself at night, even in the darkest areas...I feel at home on the water......

Fish rock jetties regularly, have taken many seriious falls over the years....

But I am scared to death of the cold, specifically dying in cold water....

I'm not too embarassed to admit it, and thought it would be a good thead topic.....

What are your feelings about cold water yakking?

What preparations have you made, and will continue to make? (obvious answer is the dry suit, I'm looking for additional opinions as welll)

What guidelines do you want to learn, to make your time fishing in cold water environments a safer experience?

What stories do you have, to help others?

That's why I did this folks...no topic is too embarassing if it saves a life....
    so let's hear some opinions....thanks!

Default Kayak deaths every year....

Since that father died on a yak that day in the Nissequogue River area in LI
    (I was there that day, it affected me deeply). I've thought a lot about death and dying on a kayak.

Recently, this fall, I challenged myself to see how long I could remain active when the water was colder. I set out to swim 100 yards when the water was in the upper 50's....The air temps were in the high 70's, and I had no wetsuit on.....I lasted less than 2 minutes before I felt the strength sap from my body... I have a strong will to survive and a pretty high opinion of my strength, but this cold water kicked my aZZ!

It left me with a healthy respect for cold water, and a fear as well.
    In life we sometimes become stronger by conquering our fears...
    this is one fear that continues to haunt me, especially since if it's your mistake, you could pay with your life....

The recent NJ hot bass bite at Shrewsbury Rocks prompted this, as lately the fish have been at least a mile out. some days more. There was a window when they were within 200 yards of shore, but I think that window is closing rapidly....

Hence the need for this thread, and another (boring to some) attempt to discuss cold-water safely...

I thought if I could candidly discuss my fears here, some others would step up and talk about thiers as well.

I want the new guys to understand, if you have a day where you go to the water, and decide NOT to launch...there's no shame in that, safety should always come first...and you shouldn't let anyone else's expectations or ego allow you to put yourself in a situation that might endanger you (or the first responder who may have to come and rescue you..)

Hope this inspires some interesting discussion.....

You could always stay home in your cozy bed and wait for warmer weather. Merry Christmas, Dark, good tidings and cheer.

i feel like u dark when its to cold no way better safe than sorry!!

Well I have to be straight with ya because you are a friend 50 degree water and kayaks don't mix conquering your fears is one thing dying for them well I don't think so especially since NO FISH IS WORTH YOUR LIFE !!!! I'm just telling you from personal experience it only takes a second to change your whole life around no matter how long you have been at it 21 yrs. around a crane and you know the rest.You have been through alot already and overcame it and honestly drowning is a miserable way to go. C.O.B.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Were going to read about DS one day as I tell him all the time. DS and the rest of the clueless macho kayaker's that launch this time of year most with little to no boating experience. Most including DS don't even carry a waterproff portable VHF to call for help because they have cell phones (which don't work when wet).Winds come on strong this time of year. They play these so called windows which they get from NOAA the same people who can't even predict rain most of the time. I've gotten the sh_t kicked out of me in many boats when the window slams shut for no reason.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    What stories do you have, to help others?

That's why I did this folks...no topic is too embarassing if it saves a life....
    so let's hear some opinions....thanks!
    Well there was that kid that died last year in the river up north. I think it was the Shrewsbury or the Navesink, wasn't it? I bet if he could come back and do it all over again he would. Be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by gjb1969 View Post
    i feel like u dark when its to cold no way better safe than sorry!!
    X2!

Default Cold Water Boot Camp

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    Well I have to be straight with ya because you are a friend 50 degree water and kayaks don't mix conquering your fears is one thing dying for them well I don't think so especially since NO FISH IS WORTH YOUR LIFE !!!! I'm just telling you from personal experience it only takes a second to change your whole life around no matter how long you have been at it 21 yrs. around a crane and you know the rest.You have been through alot already and overcame it and honestly drowning is a miserable way to go. C.O.B.

I agree with what surfstix said. Check out this video, they call him Professor Popsicle.
    The water in the bays and oceans is still cold right now guys, be careful out there -