Thread: Tuna from a kayak....who's got the ballz?

Default Tuna from a kayak....who's got the ballz?

DannyV does.
    Posted with his permission...this guy continues to set the bar higher each trip he makes out there...

**Of course, he's well prepared for the worst that can happen, with full drysuit, VHF, etc. I just wanted to make people aware of that...and let them know that he has saved others out there from drowning, and tries at all times to coach others into being safe..

...and also not to launch when you don't feel comfortable with the conditions...

If ya's got any other kayak tuna tales as well, let's hear em...

Default 90 seconds of ADRENALINE!!!!!!!

90 seconds of adrenaline......!
    12-27-11 NoMoCo, NJ - Shrewsbury Rocks

I launched this morning just at first light just a little south of the MB launch. The only bird action I saw before I launched was past the green can and I knew I was in for a long pedal.

Once I got to the green can, the birds were still almost a mile out from there! I came this far and told myself I wasn't getting skunked. I headed out to the birds that were just about even with the second green bell buoy and strted jigging. I didn't hook up with the 2+ mile trip out there, but once I was with the birds, jigging worked great. The seas were nasty at best...a 4-6 foot swell and a nice chop on top of that with a steady 15-20 wind from the south. I landed and released about 5 bass just at or about keeper size and then when I was releasing my next fish, I almost went over with the waves.

I very rarely attach myself to the kayak, but with these conditions, I tied on a 8 foot piece of rope that would keep me with the kayak in case I went over.

I was thinking about the long pedal in and the conditions were not getting any better, so I started to head back in. I didn't even troll back for the first 45 min. with the conditions and once i got about a mile from the beachm I started trolling again with no bird action.

I heard a big splash and looked behind me and saw where the noise was and just a second behind that was a tuna breaking the surface! The rod I had out was strong enough for a tuna, but I wasn't sure if the line and reel I had on it would be heavy enough to handle it.

Before I had a chance to even think about changing rods, one of the tuna grabbed my 7" zoom soft bait!! I always troll with an open spool and after 100 feet of line was stripped, I was able to thumb the spool and lock down the reel. The good news is that the fish headed straight into the wind and surf and I was able to stay straight with it and almost be in control.

There was now a 30 second stand off where I could not reel and I was doing everything I could to just hold the fish. Now the fish makes a turn and heads for the back of the kayak, He was dragging me backwards into the wind and surf and water was coming in over the back of the kayak!

With the nasty sea conditions, I had to try and turn the fish so it was in front of me, but after holding on with everything I had, line started peeling off my reel. I finally got the fish back in front of me and started to pedal to gain some line.

Again, the fish turned and I was sideways into a huge swell. I tried to turn the rudder, but I wasn't able to keep the kayak in line with the fish.

I just watched as my line was down to about 50 feet before the tuna took off again and took the rest of the line......and then SNAP!

There was actually about a five second window when I "thought" that I had a chance of landing the fish. But in reality, with the rod, reel and line set up I had for bass, it was about a 1 in 100 chance of ever getting a fish like this to the kayak.

To make it worse, I made a good landing but got turned over with the kayak once i was on shore with the waves being about 2 seconds apart and the severe drop off at the surf.

I am not sure if this is my last trip of the winter, but after seeing all the birds diving about 1/2 mile from shore when I was ready to leave with everything in the car....I might just have to make another trip!

Sorry for the long read, but today was quite the adventure.

Danny V

Oh boy that was a great story! Sad to hear he didn't get it, hope it stays on nextime. Good luck Danny!

Wish I had the balls. I agree with Rock. That is a great story. Kayaking that far offshore, and in tough conditions. You're the Man, I wished you got that tuna. you get them Next time., Danny!!

Great story props to msgdan.

Fantastic read thanks for posting!

Whoo hoo!

Incredible tale, at least you got to feel what hooking one is like. Hope you succeed next time DannyV,

I have to meet this guy Danny. He sounds like a legend of the surf (or kayak) material. Great job on hunting the bluefin.

Hope he hooks up next time. If I got a tuna it would be coming home with me, permit or no permit.

Super duper effort, Danny you are like one of the most maniac fishermen I ever read about!