Thread: Broom stick lures

Default Broom stick lures

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0016.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	14635Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0014.jpg 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	14634Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0009.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	14633Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big needle fish .jpg 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	14632Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big eye popers .jpg 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	14631

As any one every heard this term?
    My buddy was fishing the hook one day and he walked up to a blues fish blitz. There was another guy fishing there. They were both catching them left and right, but my friend was also losing plugs left and right. The other guy said to my buddy .I’ll go get some broom stick lures out of my car. They guy came back with some plugs, yep made out of broom stick with hooks on them. By then the blitz was over. My buddy ended up losing about 40 bucks worth of plugs that day . So he tells me the story and it just happens that I have about 6 wood snow shovel handles sitting in my workshop. This is actually the first time I tried to build plug just for bluefishing. I didn’t spend a lot of time on them. I have lost a lot of them overtime to blue fish. Some of them haven’t been throw much. I’ll break then out and let anyone use one .I’ll give them away to friends or kids fishing by me.

Madcaster, those broomstick plugs are cool. are all those plugs in the picture your broomstick lures?
    Did you ever loose any fish due to the screw eye pulling out?
    Do you seal the plugs?
    For blues these plugs are Ideal!!! Thanks for sharing.

They look great. Creative.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Never had a screw come out. The eye screws are glued in. yes they are all broom stick. I never used a sealer until I started doing the wire threw plugs. But I seal anything I make now. I use a spar varnish to do the final coat.

Quote Originally Posted by madcaster View Post
    [ The other guy said to my buddy .I’ll go get some broom stick lures out of my car. They guy came back with some plugs, yep made out of broom stick with hooks on them.
    I used to fish with a guy like that back in RB in the Spring. He lived in Keyport and I believe his name was Jeff. He joined this site and put up some very informative posts as FinnsandGrinns.

We lost touch, I think he moved, and I haven't seen him in a few years. He was a good friend and sent me a few of his broomstick plugs which I used to catch bluefish on, and then it got chomped and lost...good plug, and it caught...if you see him in the future, please send him my regards and tell him I was asking about him..

Quote Originally Posted by madcaster View Post
    Some of them haven’t been throw much. I’ll break then out and let anyone use one .I’ll give them away to friends or kids fishing by me.[/FONT][/SIZE]
    That's an awesome thing to do Madcaster. That Karma will come back on you 100 fold...God Bless.

Really like that selection you have posted, you're full of surprises, bro!

Amazing creations Madcaster! If you ever need anyone to help you test them out in the spring let me know.

Hey madcaster have you ever swum those needles? Ever catch anything on them. They look killer.

Madcaster did you make all those different styles in that 2nd and third pic? Woa what talent! Beautiful.

Right on, most guys concentrate on a few styles and go with that. What was your incentive for branching out to so many? Was it hard to do that?

Hookset I have so many plugs it's hard to throw them all. I don't think I have fished them

7deadly plugs: I try to make all my lures that I use. So I try to make as many different one as I can.

I experiment with all kinds of stuff more pic to come