Thread: Kayak Fishing: Women who Stand Out as Great Contributors to the Sport

Default Kayak Fishing: Women who Stand Out as Great Contributors to the Sport

If there was an actual award,,,,,who would come to mind?

Who are the women who encourage others to get involved?

Who are the women who go out there and (quietly) make a name for themselves....

Default Kayaking experiencing some Explosive Growth

Let's face it, women have made many inroads in the world of fishing...

**There is that famous guide in Alaska who's pics are all over the internet...

**There are the NJ surf fisherwomen who continue to enter this growing sport...
    Cookie's girlfriend Kat being one of them,,out there on the rocks and at times out-catching the guys....

**And the ones who've I met in my travels....the lady fisherwoman of Sandy Hook, who catches fish there on tide cycles that men feel "don't hold fish"...

**Some of the women Fly Fishers who you will encounter from SH to IBSP..

**The woman who caught and single handedly reeled in a 45lb striped bass at IBSP this fall, and then released it without fanfare.... (posts 203 and 204)http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...release-thread

** The countless women surfcasters, young and old, that I've met in LI haunts, Montauk coming to mind as one where you are most likely to see one or 2...

**And some of the fishing clubs for women, among them the Lady Reelers of LI
    http://vimeo.com/10025770,

who I interviewed back in 2010.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...n+fishing+club

But beyond this, there are only a smattering of women, here and there, who have jumped into the sport of kayak fishing...I have respect for all of them for they are the true trailblazers....

Dee, a frind of Shorelady, who has done a lot of work for Casting for Revovery, certainly deserves a prominent mention in this thread.

I'm not aware of all she does, so perhaps some can fill this in with their experiences.

The thing is, we need more... and IMO one of the most encouraging things we can to to get women involved, is to show them other women that are out there and having a good time doing it, and that it is a safe thing for them to do, and that there is a community out there that will support them with any questions or issues they may have.....

The JBay tournament comes to mind, as entered in this tournament are several women in the region who have a passion for kayaking

Default My Nomination: Judy AKA Shorelady

I believe Dee and Judy deserve equal mention for all they do to encourage women to enter this sport.

However, I simply feel Judy is more outspoken on the internet.
    Although in real life she's kind of quiet, she has that determined resolve, passion for fishing, and love of the outdoors that shouild be shared with many,,,should they be so lucky.

And many of you guys ARE lucky...recently some of ya's have been out, and into fish courtesy of her intel...and as you're out there, if she's not in the water she watches over ya like a hawk....in constant phone contact with ya's, and worrying over you until you get back to a safe landing.....

I ask you, how many people in this world are wired like that?...that even though they may not be out there in the midst of the action, williing to take time and effort to see that others get into fish, and come back safe and sound.

I know some of ya's are grateful, and have shown gratitude by bringing her a fish or 2, but that's not why she does it...it's who she is...the unselfishness, camaraderie, and passion for fishing (not just catching) are some of the things that drive her to be out there, and to help others...

So if there were any nominations to be given for a woman who most exemplifies sportsmanship, ethics, concern for bass conservation, and an overall good example which is likely to draw others into the sport....my nomination for NJ would be Judy, or Shorelady as most of ya's know her....

What do others have to say?

I don't know her but have seen a lady fluking off the jetties in AH in the summer. Is that her? If it is, congrats, for dark to say those nice things about you, they must be true.

That was a great testimonial dark. She sounds like an outstanding lady and one who puts good karma out there for others. Hope it comes back to her.

Nice tribute

Very nice thread. I don't know a lot about kayak fishing but do not see many women out there.

Cool

Nice read, thanks for trying to promote the women out there, DS!

X2, good job, Dark.

Thanks for your kind words Rich. I have to agree, my passion for this sport is both on and off the water. To be able to share my passion, whether on or off the water, is a blessing. My kayak fishing friends are a second family. I want them to be safe and successful in their passion. If I can help in anyway, I'm there. And if there is any opportunity to promote safety in this sport, I will promote it. Once again Rich, thanks, but I do nothing more than any of these guys would do if they were in my shoes. Especially the past few months. I am so blessed to fish with the folks I fish with.
    (and yes I am the Allenhurst jetty fluke fisher (past 15 years, til I got a kayak)

Quote Originally Posted by Shorelady View Post
    Thanks for your kind words Rich. I have to agree, my passion for this sport is both on and off the water. To be able to share my passion, whether on or off the water, is a blessing. My kayak fishing friends are a second family. I want them to be safe and successful in their passion. If I can help in anyway, I'm there. And if there is any opportunity to promote safety in this sport, I will promote it. Once again Rich, thanks, but I do nothing more than any of these guys would do if they were in my shoes. Especially the past few months. I am so blessed to fish with the folks I fish with.
    (and yes I am the Allenhurst jetty fluke fisher (past 15 years, til I got a kayak)
    Your reply seems to indicate you are the type of person who puts others before herself. Do you work in the service industry in any capacity? Or is it possible that you had parents that raised you with these values? Because these are values that do not seem very common to me among folks in todays times. I wish you a successful season and hope to see some more writings about you.

Quote Originally Posted by clamchucker View Post
    Or is it possible that you had parents that raised you with these values? Because these are values that do not seem very common to me among folks in todays times. .
    Agreed, clamchucker. Todays society is completely different from when I grew up. More people should try to help their neighbor.

How about "Julie"? I saw first hand how great she was on the off shore trip. Maybe not into Kayaking, but you men seemed to love her commenting ability!!

Default Re: Kayak Fishing: Women who Stand Out as Great Contributors to the Sport

Nice read thanks for posting.

good read thank you for sharing it.

Very informative. Hope to see more women get into it.