Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from a newbie....

Hello Everyone, I've have been reading(listening and learning) from alot of more experienced fishermen/anglers like yourselves for a while without interjecting. I consider myself to be a newbie since I have only started seriously fishing between 5-10 years. ......I truly believe newbies need to earn and really put in the work before the older guys give up all of the secerts of fishing they have worked to learn themselves through the years of fishing......in other words, newbies and people wanting to learn have to "pay their dues" before given the right to have the knowledge of the best places, best times, best bait, etc......why should anyone help me if they don't see I share the same passion for the sport as they do and don't want to put in the effort........The older guys need to pick and choose wisely before taking someone under their wings and showing them the ropes........There are alot of people from my generation who think for some reason they deserve everything without having to put in the work for it......I can go on and on......in a nut shell,....their are of newbies who are willing to put in the work and deserve a chance to keep this sport going for future generations with the help of older more experienced fishermen but there are also newbies who want everything handed to them, blow-up the best places, leave trash, not respect the locals, call ALL of their buddies then forget and turn their backs on the people who helped them fish those rocks, surf, river, etc........

Best Advice a newbie can give a newbie is ........."Keep your eyes, ears, mind opened...and your mouth closed, unless asking a smart question"!

Quote Originally Posted by CRStriper View Post
    There are alot of people from my generation who think for some reason they deserve everything without having to put in the work for it......I can go on and on......in a nut shell,....their are of newbies who are willing to put in the work and deserve a chance to keep this sport going for future generations with the help of older more experienced fishermen but there are also newbies who want everything handed to them, blow-up the best places, leave trash, not respect the locals, call ALL of their buddies then forget and turn their backs on the people who helped them fish those rocks, surf, river, etc........
    Wow, someone who gets it. Welcome aboard dude.

Hello Everyone, I've have been reading(listening and learning) from alot of more experienced fishermen/anglers like yourselves for a while without interjecting. I consider myself to be a newbie since I have only started seriously fishing between 5-10 years. ........

CRStriper, that is one of the most refreshing and honest introductory posts I have read in years.

I know of many guys who consider themselves "very experienced" who have only been fishing the salt for 5 years or less....2 in particular who come to mind are these 2 internet heroes I know of,,...5 years ago they were asking for advice on the internet on how to catch fish on clams...now, they act is if they are the most elite of the elite, simply because they went out and bought all the right gear, and caught a few 30#s during the bunker blitzes....but when it comes to being able to catch fish in different conditions and challenges, they fail.

Further, they put down every new guy who comes on the internet to ask a few questions, if they feel the guy didn't ask the question in an appropriate manner....Cmon, get real, we all had to start somewhere...

Your post is extremely refreshing, and the humbleness stands out very clearly to me.....

IMO with that attitude and demeanor you should have no problem getting guys here to help you....and feel free to PM me for advice anytime....

Welcome,. and look forward to seeing you get into some fish....

welcome smart man!!

.I truly believe newbies need to earn and really put in the work before the older guys give up all of the secerts of fishing they have worked to learn themselves through the years of fishing......in other words, newbies and people wanting to learn have to "pay their dues" before given the right to have the knowledge of the best places, best times, best bait, etc......why should anyone help me if they don't see I share the same passion for the sport as they do and don't want to put in the effort........

I singled out this passage as well because I thought if that's what you really believe, there will be no obstacles to you becoming a better fisherman, other than having enough time to put into it and learn the little nuances that help guys to catch consistently...

You're right, more people from your generation need to have this awareness...but they don't....too many people want everything handed to them on the internet. I lost count of how many times I tried to steer guys in the right direction, and they would have been successful if they only put that extra effort into it...but it was too much for them.

I was catching bass on bait since I was 12, but lost a lot of Salt fishing time because in my 20's I was single and the pursuit of land tuna seemed more valuable to me.

When I finally got back into it and decided to learn artificials, it took me 2 years to catch a keeper bass on them...plenty of bluefish and small bass, but I struggled to catch that keeper bass, one that didn't come from a bunker blitz....and let me tell ya's, it was hard, frustrating, and embarassing, that I couldn't catch a keeper, and others were...it almost made ya want to give up...but I didn't....and I succeeded...

To learn more, I tried to meet surfcasters I admired... and to learn from them. I managed to do that, but the advice they gave me was in bits and pieces...for example....."you need to learn to fish the rocks, and what time to be on what pile....and learn to move with the tide"..... based on that very general advice, and some other great mentors I had who gave me equally generic advice (some of whom you may be lucky enough to meet here)

I owe a debt of gratitude to all those who helped me along the way. I try never to forget that, and that's one of the reasons I try to help a new guy...but for me to help him, he has to bring hunger to succeed, motivation, and perseverance to the table or I quickly decide it's a waste of time....

..., I learned here and there....my biggest learning experiences were my failures, skunks, nights of plugging for hours, and not even a tap.....teaching me the value of planning a trip around the most "active" water....you'll hear me talk about "dead water" a lot here...even the most productive spots have times when they are absolutely dead, and times when they are alive with action.....

And you won't learn that from posts on the internet...you have to go out and experience it yourself, see, feel, touch., and learn from being there...and seeing what works, and doesn't work...and keeping a good log so you can begin to plan your trips each year according to the bait and fish migration......

Welcome again CR, and I see you are already on a great path,,,,feel free to PM or call if you need a few words of advice....

Inspiring stuff Dark! CRstriper I can tell you Dark and a lot of guys here helped me. When I first started I was kind of a googan. I fished a lot and kept at it like Dark says. They helped me when they saw I really wanted to catch. They are all a great group of folks. Welcome to stripersandanglers!

Hi and welcome CR.

Cool Thread, Hi and Welcome CR.

Welcome to S&A refreshing to hear from someone who doesn't think the world own him something and is willing to learn. My hat goes off to you.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

CRStriper, welcome to an informative and fun site. Your post has dedication and determination, it's great to hear that. Good luck in the future.

Welcome to the nut house.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    . I try never to forget that, and that's one of the reasons I try to help a new guy[/B]...but for me to help him, he has to bring hunger to succeed, motivation, and perseverance to the table or I quickly decide it's a waste of time....

..., I learned here and there....my biggest learning experiences were my failures, skunks, nights of plugging for hours, and not even a tap.....teaching me the value of planning a trip around the most "active" water....you'll hear me talk about "dead water" a lot here...even the most productive spots have times when they are absolutely dead, and times when they are alive with action.....

And you won't learn that from posts on the internet...you have to go out and experience it yourself, see, feel, touch., and learn from being there...and seeing what works, and doesn't work...and keeping a good log so you can begin to plan your trips each year according to the bait and fish migration......

Mistakes and failures are the little jewels we learn to appreciate on the road of life, DS. They build character. Well-said. Welcome to SnA, CRStriper. Look forward to your posts.

Thanks for all the Welcomes, Advice and Encouragement Everyone!!!!......I look forward to to getting more involved in some of forums and posting some of the experiences I hope to learn & earn.......Darkskies, Sincerely, Thanks again Brotha, for the encouraging words and getting me on his site, I already feel welcomed.... guess it's true what they say ...."If you GIVE a man a fish, he'll eat for a day...But if you TEACH a man how to fish he'll eat for a lifetime"!!

^^ CR, I wouldn't have given ya those encouragiing words if I didn't sense a rare enthusiasm for this thing we do...this obsession some of us have.....glad to help, feel free to pick my brain anytime....

And you're right, there are a lot of members here who will help ya if ya ask respectfully....

crstriper welcome aboard. There are a lot of cool people here and we don't like whiners who don't want to work for their fish, or who complain by the time they get to the beach the fish will be all gone. Those are the risks you take in fishing.
    As long as you are not one of them, it's all good. Looking forward to your contributions, and come on out and fish! There are a few small stripers around. As for that guy darkskies, proceed with caution. He's a little mental if you know what I mean.

Yeah CRstriper, welcome.

Welcome to stripers and anglers!

Welcome aboard CRstriper,
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    As for that guy darkskies, proceed with caution. He's a little mental if you know what I mean.
    Thanks Steve. While it may be partly true, yer gonna scare the guy off before he even gets a chance to stay for a bit....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast