Thread: A little late...

A little late, but thought I would throw this one in (and yay for my first post). Fished Sat am (2/4) from 545am to 10am. Still learning my way around MoCo and trip was a lot of just that. ***. Threw everything I have in the bag with no takers. Like I said - still very much learning the ropes up here. Coming from Maryland, the land of conventional reels and bait dunking, this pluggin' thing is taking some time. Still really enjoyable and how can you complain about a 45* day in Feb where you have a legit shot at a fish?

While out there early, I got to thinking. With the nature of trips this time of year being what they are, cold water and even colder air temps, slick rocks and often being out there solo, I was wondering if anyone out there is wearing helmets in the dark conditions. I am perfectly ok wearing my inflatable PFD under my shell, but is a helmet taking it too far? They are cheap ($50 for a good one on sale), offer insulation and can save a life. Does anyone here have a perspective they want to share?

mbo1971 welcome to the site. I never wore a helmet but have seen quite a few people fall out there. I might feel goofy wearing one, otherwise I think it's a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by mbo1971 View Post
    but is a helmet taking it too far? They are cheap ($50 for a good one on sale), offer insulation and can save a life. Does anyone here have a perspective they want to share?
    Jettys aren't for me, I don't do them but I guess helmets would be a great idea for lots of guys out there based on reading all the wacky stories. Also if you are going to be out there at night a pillow may also be very handy (read here that some one took a little nap one night recently on a jetty). Mind as well be comfy.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

welcome to the site! great group of guys on here

Welcome to the site mbo1971!

I fished 4-6:30 yesterday in MoCo as well. Nothing for me. I think the water was too mellow, hardly any waves crashing at all. It also seemed very cold. Maybe the fat lady is tuning up. Welcome aboard MBO.

welcome to the site and tite lines to u

**MBO, a warm welcome!
    For those who don't know him, I met Matt one night in the Spring when a few of us were running around between Ocean and Monmouth counties...he's originally from Md, (now in NJ) is seemingly a good guy, and is pretty proficient at casting conventionals long distances on the flat Md beaches when the fish are there....

hoping maybe he can share some of those stories and possible tips and techniques he uses with us.....Hope your seasons in NJ are productive, MBO, and welcome aboard!

As for the helmet thing. I know a lot of guys think it might look gay, or stupid..I can definitely relate to not wanting to look stupid out there...but if ya know me you should know that with the stories circulating about my stinkin waders and sleeping in my car to get "two bites out of one trip"...

It doesn't really bother me what people think of me...(other than the close friends I have, and Pebbles),,,,I have always marched to the beat of a different drummer, and sometimes it seems I'm the only one who's hearing the music...so I encourage all opinions here, don't hold back.,...but I also think it's time for a thread where we discuss this further...feel free to jump in and again, honesty is important here.....if you don't agree, that's a valid point and deserves to be heard...but please tell us why, as well....thanks for reading, folks!

Welcome and thanks for the cool pics!

Welcome MBO.