Thread: 2011- Striped Bass Didn't all Get on the Migration Train.....

Default 2011- Striped Bass Didn't all Get on the Migration Train.....

Subtitle: Striped Bass Migration - yearly Aberrations....

2011 was a year of unusual catching patterns for Anglers from MA to Va.
    I'm specifically referring to the 2011 Fall Run here, and the resultant disconnect for many anglers, some of whom had the best fishing ever, and others who couldn't find fish in their areas...

This thread will deal with some of those issues and variations...
    In statistical terms, what happened, with the incredible fishing for some, can be known as "outliers".

I realize most folks don't analyze things to that level...but some of us here did...and had a very good Fall and Early Winter....

There are specific reasons for that....

Default Mixing of Hudson and Chesapeake strain bass to an extent greater than ever before...

Those of us who caught a lot of fish noticed this...there are those who didn't, however, who are still claiming all these bass are "Hudson Fish" or "resident fish"...those assertions couldn't be further from the truth....

As I get more time, I'll try to jump in here and weigh in with some of the things I discovered....

Meanwhile, I have had some very productive private conversations with members here, and other friends who fish a lot. You ALL have had some interesting observations.....

Feel free to jump in now or at any time to add whatever you feel makes sense to you...thanks!

Default Bait and mild temps holding bass in places previously devoid of life...

Fish follow the seasonal migration becaus it's dicatated by innate behavior patterns....followed since they were small fry in the estuaries....

However, there are times, like the end of 2011 and Early Winter of 2012, when bait and mild temps trump this strong innate pull that the fish have....and that's exactly what happened in 2011/2012.

There are a host of other factors as well...

Default Topics for Discussion...

Here are some, feel free to answer any you can relate to, or add your own, thanks!

* 30 lb bass in the ocean off NJ and LI chasing herring, squid and mackerel
    (A LI Capt recently reported running into a few of these fish)

* Catching late season bass in Rhode Island Breechways and Bays...
    (Please note that these are most likely the fish that should have wintered in the CT Rivers)

* The NJ crab bite
    (Now that it's mostly over, it was arguably one of the best in years)

* Tuna scaring the bass off the inshore regions of VA and NC
    (Although it has been observed, how realistic is it to blame it all on the tuna?)

* Notable absence of bass off the shores of MD and VA
    (except for a notable presence Mid January)

* Reports of less than robust action near the CBBT
    (Note the Chesapeake is now closed but some are targeting them and C&R near this area...Chuck Many on his Tyman.....

* Reports of a less than stellar Fall season in the Cape May Area

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    * The NJ crab bite
    (Now that it's mostly over, it was arguably one of the best in years)
    Man it was sweet, dude.

I think the herring had a lot to do with it. Wherever there were vast schools of herring, be it 20 miles offshore or at the Shrewsbury Rocks, the bass were keyed in on them and didn't want to leave.