Thread: China Trip

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    ^^ I read somewhere that Asian women are some of the biggest fashion buyers in the world. Even Asian college girls, you will neve see them in ripped up t-shirts and jeans, alway dressed up, even when wearing casual wear. Glad you are getting to see all that Monty. Thanks for sharing.
    What kind of food are you eating? (and I know you are NOT eating dogs, or cats, lol)
    SS, yes very fashion orientated, way more than the US.
    Breakfast, 4 eggs, two plates of rice, 4 pieces of toast, 5 glasses of orange juice. During day a couple nutrition bars and a few Gatorade. If I have dinner (1/2 the time I do, its Spaghetti and tomato herb sauce. Really tastes good. Had a Hamburger and fries the other day, they include an egg on the burger (w/bun, onion, tomato), that was good too..
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Oh, I need to bring my own toilet paper with me to work here. Never had to do that back in America. And now we have locals asking us for a sheet or two (so I hide my roll (and have a decoy in a drawer).

Was supposed to leave tomorrow morning, just extended trip to leave Sunday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Oh, I need to bring my own toilet paper with me to work here. Never had to do that back in America. And now we have locals asking us for a sheet or two (so I hide my roll (and have a decoy in a drawer).

Was supposed to leave tomorrow morning, just extended trip to leave Sunday morning.
    Wow, that was pretty gross! So if they don't have toilet paper, what do they do use their hands? Great pics by the way monty.

Quote Originally Posted by basshunter View Post
    So if they don't have toilet paper, what do they do use their hands?
    I have no idea what they do,No idea, Communication is difficult, terrible, comical at times.
    They keep saying yes, but have not the slightest idea of what you are talking about.
    We had a conversation with a waitress the other night for 5 minutes about french fries. We ordered 3 orders of french fries. No problem. She came back and said tomatoe...or tomorrow (over and over), what she was saying was we could have two today and more tomorrow (figured that out after 5 minutes), it was crazy, but fine, no problem.....we get the two orders, split it up, then another order of fries shows up with special fries.....then our hamburgers (with the egg) show up with normal fries. Thats a small sample of what goes on constantly. Working there is nuts because of this.

Default Translation guide, courtesy of Finchaser.....

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    , Communication is difficult, terrible, comical at times.
    They keep saying yes, but have not the slightest idea of what you are talking about.
    We had a conversation with a waitress the other night for 5 minutes about french fries. We ordered 3 orders of french fries. No problem. She came back and said tomatoe.... Thats a small sample of what goes on constantly. Working there is nuts because of this.
    Monty... Finchaser, helpful and benevolent old grouchy basstard that he is, sent me this translation guide to give to you.....
    Ya know, he is so helpful at times that if the world had more helpful people like him, I imagine there would be no more wars and mis-understandings among us....
    Thanks to Fin for his helpfulness.....and you all who have been the recipient of SYBSTD e-mails know what I mean....

LEARN CHINESE IN 5 MINUTES
    (YOU MUST READ THEM ALOUD)
    English Chinese

That’s not right Sum Ting Wong
    Are you harboring a fugitive Hu Yu Hai Ding
    See me ASAP Kum Hia Nao
    Stupid Man Dum Fuk
    Small Horse Tai Ni Po Ni
    Did you go to the beach Wai Yu So Tan
    I bumped into a coffee table Ai Bang Mai Fu Kin Ni
    I think you need a face lift Chin Tu Fat
    It’s very dark in here Wai So Dim
    This is a tow away zone No Pah King
    Our meeting is scheduled for next week Wai Yu Kum Nao
    Staying out of sight Lei Ying Lo
    He’s cleaning his automobile Wa Shing Ka
    Your body odor is offensive Yu Stin Ki Pu
    Great Fa Kin Su Pa

The most important thing to avoid, IMO, is having them call you a "GWEI-LO", which as I understood it means "white devil"....
    I worked in a Chinese restaurant for 3 years doing food prep and washing dishes when I was in high school...so I picked up some Chinese along the way (enough to order a meal in the kitchen...)...for the most part I found them to be an interesting and hard-working culture....they are very cagey until they get to know ya....but once relationships/friendships develop, they can last a lifetime.......

Enjoy your time there and best wishes for a safe flight home....
    PS. what are your cats doing at home without you?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    PS. what are your cats doing at home without you?
    Well I miss the cats LOL...big time.
    Thanks Finhaser for the words....of Chinese Wisdom.......
    I have been doing this stuff, travel, start-ups for 30 years. Been to Japan, China before, South Korea, Taiwan and all over the US. This has been the craziest trip I have been on. The work has been tough, long hours, lots and lots and lots of problems. But I have never laughed as much as I have in the last few weeks with so many funny things with the communication and what has happened. The guy that is from the US that is here that I am working with is a good friend for some 20 years and as difficult as it has been we have been laughing, cracking jokes about it all and been making the best of it. Crazy trip, each day has been an adventure. and lots of laughs.

funny stuff, gets a little sh**ty in the end tho!