Thread: Massachusetts decline in Striped bass

Default Massachusetts decline in Striped bass

Massachusetts decline in Striped bass from its high in 2006 until the end of 2011. Decrease from 2006 to 2011 is 6,802,000 fish, a decrease of 83.7%
    Decrease from 2010 to 2011 was 690,000 fish, a decrease of 34%
    Info was from Stripers Forever, link is here.

http://www.stripersforever.org/Info/...oard/I01977B71

From everything I have heard and read, 2011 was a pretty good year in NJ for Striped Bass fishing. My opinion is way to many breeders were killed in NJ. Somewhere along the way regulations need to be changed for the Recreational and Commercial fishing groups (all states). Big time changes.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Massachusetts decline in Striped bass from its high in 2006 until the end of 2011. Decrease from 2006 to 2011 is 6,802,000 fish, a decrease of 83.7%
    Decrease from 2010 to 2011 was 690,000 fish, a decrease of 34%
    Info was from Stripers Forever, link is here.

http://www.stripersforever.org/Info/...oard/I01977B71

From everything I have heard and read, 2011 was a pretty good year in NJ for Striped Bass fishing. My opinion is way to many breeders were killed in NJ. Somewhere along the way regulations need to be changed for the Recreational and Commercial fishing groups (all states). Big time changes.

a 34% decrease in 1 year's catch? That seems pretty serious and can't be dismissed by claiming it's cyclical. Thanks for posting monty.

For years they blamed this on the lack of bunker up there. I don't think that theory holds any more.

It's coast wide but they won't admit it until it's too late. The rec's won't admit to the all out slaughter of bass, take NJ for instance in the spring where there is no commercial fishery. Wait till they vote in 2013 while everyone says things are great and there are more bass than ever (words of Tom F.to the committee) which put off a vote this year for new bag limits ,the commercial guy's are lobbying like crazy for higher quota's which they more than likely will get.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    "The rec's won't admit to the all out slaughter of bass",
    "the commercial guy's are lobbying like crazy for higher quota's which they more than likely will get."
    These two things disgust me regarding the Striper Fishery.
    People are out of control, have lost their conscience and sense of responsibility.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)