Thread: Drugs

Default Drugs

A Different Drug Problem

(Submitted by Concerned Citizen)

The other day, someone at a store in our town read that a Methamphetamine lab had been found in an old farmhouse in the adjoining county and he asked me a rhetorical question, “Why didn't we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?”

I replied, I had a drug problem when I was young: I was drug to church on Sunday morning. I was drug to church for weddings and funerals. I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the weather.

I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults. I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie, brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the preacher, or if I didn't put forth my best effort in everything that was asked of me.

I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with soap if I uttered a profanity. I was drug out to pull weeds in mom's garden and flower beds and cockleburs out of dad's fields. I was drug to the homes of family, friends and neighbors to help out some poor soul who had no one to mow the yard, repair the clothesline, or chop some firewood, and, if my mother had even known that I took a single dime as a tip for this kindness, she would have drug me back to the woodshed.

Those drugs are still in my veins and they affect my behavior in everything I do, say or think. They are stronger than cocaine, crack, or heroin; and, if today's children had this kind of drug problem, America would be a better place.

God bless the parents who drugged us.

A good friend of mine sent me this and as far as I am concerned it should still be practiced but thanks to the CPS and schools that teach the kids today they can rule us we are screwed we can take their video games away soon that may be to stiff of a punishment.I know the above molded me to be better it just gets the point across,I also know that some parents cross the line and thats what got us here in the 1st place.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Surfstix, I agree with you a 100%, great, true post.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    I was drug to church on Sunday morning. I was drug to church for weddings and funerals. I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the weather.

I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults. ....., or if I didn't put forth my best effort in everything that was asked of me.

I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with soap if I uttered a profanity.

I was drug out to pull weeds in mom's garden and flower beds and cockleburs out of dad's fields.

I was drug to the homes of family, friends and neighbors to help out some poor soul who had no one to mow the yard, repair the clothesline, or chop some firewood, and, if my mother had even known that I took a single dime as a tip for this kindness, she would have drug me back to the woodshed.

.... and, if today's children had this kind of drug problem, America would be a better place.

God bless the parents who drugged us.

A good friend of mine sent me this and as far as I am concerned it should still be practiced but thanks to the CPS and schools that teach the kids today they can rule us we are screwed we can take their video games away soon that may be to stiff of a punishment.

Surfstix, I have experienced all the highlighted things above.
    When I was growing up, I got my mouth washed out with soap for any talking back or foul words...there was no argument or Child Protective Services, if your behavior was out of line you knew clearly what the consequences were.

If you did something bad, you knew your Dad would beat you with a belt when he came home, no argument or negotiating there either.

Some of the problems I see is that some children today are raised as if they were royalty, never having to work menial or minimum wage jobs, never having to help out with household cleaning or yard maintenance....that's all "beneath them"...and God forbid you try to tell some of the modern kids to scrub a toilet!

We need to go back to some old-fashioned values for some of these kids...I have conversations with friends about it all the time, I think the general consensus is that we are too easy on this generation of children by giving them everything they want..

You even see it on the internet, when a 20-something guy posts something, and expects others to help him become an expert in just 10 short posts. Meanwhile, half of these younger folks don't even think of bringing something to to the table, doing their own research, etc, etc....

So maybe today's parents are at fault....

Me too my folks were harsh and I don't regret it one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    We need to go back to some old-fashioned values for some of these kids...I have conversations with friends about it all the time, I think the general consensus is that we are too easy on this generation of children by giving them everything they want..
    And we need to go back to old fasion values in dealing with adults. I am tired of hearing about a punishment that fits the crime. Now a days it does not even come close to it. I'm all for the punishment EXCEEDS the crime. Time to get this country back on track. And how about old fasioned values for adults instead of having so many people employeed where they make their $$ on taking advantage (SCREWING) others
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Today you give an inch they know they can take a foot the thing that drives me crazy is the parents on the news crying about there kids being killed or overdosing getting in non stop trouble where the eff were they are they blind then of course you have the parents that want to play bad cop good cop which just destroys their marriage the bad cop is the one looking out for the best interest of the kid then you get the argument its only going to make them do it more eff that house arrest you don't like it theres the door don't let it hit you in the arse on the way out and don't plan on your key working if you decide to come back Thank God I never had to sraighten my kids out old school because they know I will even though they are 15 and 20 they still respect me.I'm not saying I was an angel but I was smart enough to know a belt buckle will crack your skull open(personal experience) and your Dad won't go to jail either even when he took you to the hospital.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.