Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wet suiting

Default Wet suiting

Many people are buying wet suits or thinking about it.
    Darkskies suggested that i share some info. about that topic.

wet suits float you. they'll keep you warm for 3 hours. 3,5 & 7 millimeters
    are common thicknesses for wet suits. the thicker the suit the warmer it is.
    even though we're in 70 degrees today i'll be yaking in a 7mm suit soon.
    That because the water still cold. Hypothermia is a big deal, i try to avoid it. it saps your energy,
    clouds your judgement & will claim your life if you let it.

Todays suits are a lot more flexible & thinner than the older suits i surfed & dove in.
    I use Pinnacle wet suits. they use to call it elastiprene but they phased those suits out.
    i picked Pinnacle because they had merino wool in the suit & levlar knee pads.
    Henderson Hyperstretch are also good suits.
    I got my 3mm suit locally & got ripped off, i say that because my 7mm suit was only $189 it should have been $500!
    I suggest going to leisurepro.com & looking at their suits. They have a shop at 42w 18th St. NYC.

I use OTB boots they are now made by new balance http://www.shopnewbalance.com/men/sh...ilitary/211MBK

I picked these since they were created to fit in force fins. here's the link for that http://www.forcefin.com/product/FFOR50.html

I suggest the otb's because they are very light & can also be worn over stocking foot waders with korkers too. The force fins are small & powerful. I don't suggest the force fin pro model unless your under water. swimming on top with the pro model has given me hamstring problems, they weren't designed for top side use.

i used kadir's Aquaskinz Elite pro hunter series double barrel bags, bucktail pouch, & pliers sheath. http://www.aquaskinz.com/index.php5?mode=ehps

Kadir has always been good to me & has stood behind these products, he has modified them & repaired them for me. he has also offered to create a sling for my rods so i can swim with them. I currently use rock climbing rope that doubles as a stringer.

My belt is from a dive shop $10

I use princton tec lights the amp 1 & the eco flare.
    my head light is from underwater kinetics.
    I keeps 2 knives with me a SOG SEAL pup elite, & a wenkona squeeze knife it's blunt tip & titanium.
    http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/SQTKSL.html?&&

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Categ.../SOGE37TK.html

I wear a Suunto core watch. it has a compass, barometer, storm alarm,thermometer, depth meter, sunrise/sunset times & a lot more.http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/54871...pmd_google_pla

I tried to add a link for combat side stroke from youtube but couldn't.
    look it up if you wish .
    This is an effortless way to swim, add fins & you cruise.
    Hope this helps. Best wishes & be safe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 177505.jpg   wet suit.jpg  

Last edited by UrbanFishingMan; 03-15-2012 at 08:23 PM. Reason: add video

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanFishingMan View Post
    I tried to add a link for combat side stroke from youtube but couldn't.
    look it up if you wish .
    This is an effortless way to swim, add fins & you cruise.
    Hope this helps. Best wishes & be safe.
    UrbanFishingMan, I added a link for you for this.
    The way to post up video links here is pretty easy.

1.Just copy the link from youtube
    2. Go to the menu bar at the top of your posting window.
    3. You will see several options...Bold, Indent, Underline, Colors...
    4. The button for "Insert Video" is the 2nd one from the right....
    5 Supported Video formats include:

Hulu
    Youtube
    Vimeo
    Daily Motion
    Metacafe
    Google
    Facebook

When the window comes up, paste the link, and say OK.

Here ya go:

Here I go embarassing him again, but the info contained in UrbanFishingMan's first post in this thread is gold, folks. Frikkin gold, people.....

He's learned this stuff through years of trial and error.
    He's learned, from watching others fail, and almost drown, to respect the power of the current, and....
    To have a back-up rescue plan in case your FIRST rescue plan doesn't pan out...

Again, he fishes the most dangerous waters on the East Coast....
    and comes back alive each time.....

I don't know if many of ya's will ever have the need or desire to fish waters like that....and honestly I would only recommend it to someone who has a high degree of experience, and confidence in their skill set.....

But some of those links he posted there, can benefit guys who fish other surf areas, in NJ and LI, that may be less dangerous but still challenging...

It's not very often someone comes along willing to help people like that...
    And he's nice enough to post it up for anyone who's interested to read and learn.

Outstanding thread and info, UFM, thanks for sharing with us.....

(And I hope ya consider the phone message I left for ya the other night....the night tides are good till Sat....and prime tides are so late that they will keep most folks indoors...come on down.... )

Awesome advice guys, just awesome. I probably won't wetsuit like that but did check out some of the links. They have great gear, thanks so much.

Great informative thread. Thanks big time.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Lots of information, dude. Thanks for sharing that urban.

I use OTB boots they are now made by new balance http://www.shopnewbalance.com/men/sh...ilitary/211MBK

I picked these since they were created to fit in force fins. here's the link for that http://www.forcefin.com/product/FFOR50.html

I suggest the otb's because they are very light & can also be worn over stocking foot waders with korkers too. The force fins are small & powerful. I don't suggest the force fin pro model unless your under water. swimming on top with the pro model has given me hamstring problems, they weren't designed for top side use.

Wow that is some detailed information there urbanfishingman.
    I went to the new balance site:

. With its patent-pending outsole design, the boot features side draining ports allowing for instant water evacuation, helping the boot to dry in record time. With its quick-drying upper sporting water-friendly synthetics and open mesh, the Abyss II provides unsurpassed breathability and serious comfort. (This boot is available exclusively online.)

I think that is a valuable benefit. I now have boots from cabelas and it takes them over a day to dry and 2 days to get completely dry. Iwas going to ask about korkers but saw that further in your post you talked about that too, I wonder how long it took you to figure the matching of this gear out?
    Thanks for posting, I learned a lot.

Like those knives. The one for $30 isn't that bad. Good even for the jetties if you are moving around and get stuck in braid. I hate those guys who won't bring their braid home with them and think of a jetty as their own personal garbage dump especially the bait fishiers. Great advice,thanks.

Did you know that the initials for urbanfishingman UFM could also be urban fighting machine? Are you a fan of UFC? Pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by ledhead36 View Post
    Did you know that the initials for urbanfishingman UFM could also be urban fighting machine? Are you a fan of UFC? Pretty cool.
    Or you could use urban fishing maniac! Just saw this thread, what a wealth of information. We dion't have that many rocks in Ct unless you are talking about Pennington Reef. I bet if you swam out to the end there by the lighthouse you could get some nice stripers.
    Thanks for sharing.

Many people are buying wet suits or thinking about it.
    Darkskies suggested that i share some info. about that topic.

. I currently use rock climbing rope that doubles as a stringer.

My belt is from a dive shop $10

I use princton tec lights the amp 1 & the eco flare.
    my head light is from underwater kinetics.
    I.
    Like the princeton tec lights and just noticed the tip about rock climbing rope. That might also be useful if you wanted to anchor yourself to a jetty in rough weather.

UrbanFishingMan,Thanks for sharing all that great Info. You gave me some things to think about.

Default Re: Wet suiting

This is an awesome thread!

Last Sunday i used the Pinnale 7 mil wetsuit with merino wool in it. i was toasty!
    My freinds from Naval Special Warfare suggested an immersion research LX dry top.
    It is THE BEST drytop i have ever used. I swam kings & scotts in it & was very warm.
    The best part is no water gets in to weigh you down. Our Navy boys get issued LX drytops.
    NewBalence is being contacted by a retired NSW member to have grip studs installed in their Tacticle 221 boots.
    This will eliminate the need for korkers!
    Go lite fellas!
    Best wishes & be safe!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drytop.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	15653Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caswells.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	15654

Hi hope everyone is well.
    As the winter seminars begin, I wanted to inform you all about my wetsuiting talk.
    It adresses equipment, saftey & strategies for fishing Eastern Long Island.
    Cow Harbor bait & tackle in Centerport, NY is hosting a free seminar series from 12 to 2 pm each saturday.
    here is the link to sign up. http://www.cowharbortackle.com/SEMINAR-SIGNUP.html

I know many of you are Jersey fisherman but the equpitment information is also beneficial for jeddy & kayak applications.
    also I have met may Jersey guys in MTK this fall & i will be adding MTK tactics into this talk.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	me.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	15981

Dude you are off the wall! You must have balls made of steel, extreme fishing for sure. Thanks for sharing.

NewBalence is being contacted by a retired NSW member to have grip studs installed in their Tacticle 221 boots.
    This will eliminate the need for korkers!
    Go lite fellas!
    Best wishes & be safe!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drytop.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	15653Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caswells.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	15654

I would like to check these out when they come to market. Great idea. Thank you.

There is a lot of great info in this thread. thanks for sharing urban fishing man.

Hi everyone,
    I will be giving my wet suit talk this Sunday from 10:30 TO 11:30 at the
    North Amityville Firehouse.
    The address is 601 Broadway (Rt 110) in North Amityville. It is located between the Southern State Parkway and Sunrise Highway on the east side of 110.

This will cover the equipment, the strategies, & safety in the impact zone for wetsuit fishing the east end.

I will be giving another seminar on March 16th at Cow Harbor Bait & Tackle
    the shop is located at: BRITANNIA YACHT CLUB
    81 Fort Salonga Road (RT.25A)
    Northport, NY 11768

Nice of you to do that to help the fellas out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast