Thread: Kayak Trips and Fishing Reports 2012

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    I covered an insane amount of ground and once the sun came up a lot of people seemed to be fishing and not catching.....starting to see the fish are really concentrated around certain areas, with a lot of dead water in between.

All the more reason to get a kayak or boat. I spent 4 hours on the beach this morning and nothing but one runt bass to show for it and skates and dogfish. I could see some kind of bird action but it was like a mile out. You guys in kayaks can def reach them bass, good luck this year.

DannyV was at it again this morning....
    His report and pics, courtesy of MSGDan.....

"Here are a couple pictures from this morning. Landed 3 bass, 5 monster blues, all live bunker."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0138.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	15194Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0140-1.jpg 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	15195Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0144.jpg 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	15196

That Gator in the pic above looks BIG to me. Great pics!!!!
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Good job, Dan.

Tucked away today to avoid the wind. (I'm such a fair weather kayak fisher) It was another bluefish fest today..... They are so much fun out of a yak. Downright scarey at times as they do their gymnastic moves right at the boat and want to get in your lap! Fighting them at eye level is a treat! There was no counting them again today. Mixed sizes and it was a topwater day!!!!!! I hate to admit it but, teasing them over and over and watching the smack the plug again and again is sometimes more fun than catching those yellow eyed demons. Back at it in the am, if I can move my upper body.

Awesome report, Judy.

It seems that out in deeper water is the place where a lot of them are holding.

This morning I discovered one of the reasons why....there were quite a few birds diving on grass shrimp on the bay flats.
    When those grass shrimp gather en masse. the blues come in and will hold for awhile. Not many were catching this morning from shore as the water is a bit cold and dirty in the shallow areas. As I said, a day or so of extreme sun and it will turn around to where everyone is catching them...glad ya had a blast!

Had a repeat today of yesterday, but not much on the top water action. Set a kayak fishing record today. There were 5 of us to start the day and the women out numbered the men! I haven't heard that much laughing, screaming, hooping and hollering in a long time! The blues continued to put on the show. One of the guys decided it was time to test his new yak and his balance skills and fished most of the day standing in it. (not an outback).
    Lesson learned today: If you don't want company in your yak, when you do not have a fish on, reel the plug in at the front of the yak, not the side. Never know what lurks below.