Thread: DEP Proposes Amended Rules to Enhance PublicAccess to Beaches & Waterways

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by fishincrazy View Post
    The parking problem is another issue all together.The DEP requires Towns to provide parking for access.They are not aware of the parking issues we face.The group has brought up this issue many times and we will again at this next meeting.I will talk to them about Pullman Ave!We have also discussed Point Pleasant and Brick who have pay to park rules in effect.We have also talked about the 2 hour limit and no parking after 10 o'clock sign in Bayhead.We will keep fighting the state so as not to lose our right to access Tidal Water.
    FC
    I don't know how you will be successful fighting the parking fishing crazy. I don't like the restrictions but I kind of see how the townspeople could get mad. Have you seen the AH jetty lately? It has turned into a garbage dump on some weekend days. I cannot believe how sloppy some of these idiots are.

We also have to pay for parking in Asbury Park, and even in the bombed out lot at 8h ave they now have oarking spots and you have to pay. I don't see how you can fight that. They definitely won't take them out once they put them in place. I think it's just something we are going to have to put up with. As for Pullman, I don't blame the folks who live there having those signs put up. Have you seen the insanity and trash and disgusting behavior that happens on that street when the bite is on? Shameful.

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    I don't know how you will be successful fighting the parking fishing crazy. I don't like the restrictions but I kind of see how the townspeople could get mad. Have you seen the AH jetty lately? It has turned into a garbage dump on some weekend days. I cannot believe how sloppy some of these idiots are.

We also have to pay for parking in Asbury Park, and even in the bombed out lot at 8h ave they now have oarking spots and you have to pay. I don't see how you can fight that. They definitely won't take them out once they put them in place. I think it's just something we are going to have to put up with. As for Pullman, I don't blame the folks who live there having those signs put up. Have you seen the insanity and trash and disgusting behavior that happens on that street when the bite is on? Shameful.
    The deal with reigning in fisherman who are pigs is something we as fisherman have to take control of.I know I for one do not tolerate any A-Holes when I am fishing.I have picked up trash that I have seen guy's throwing on the ground and sent the same guy's home with it.I also carry trash bags with me when I fish.The number of fisherman who are affected by the few scumbags out there have to stand up and force these pieces of @#%#$^^$ to keep quiet ,pick up after themselves,and follow the rules so we don't loose our right to fish!I agree that there are some real scumbags out there those people need to be educated.I find a baseball bat to be a great teacher!

Now as far as the parking issue when any of these towns apply for a permit to build on tidal water or request beach replenishment,or want to do anything which requires a permit along tidal water,we as fisherman will have a voice.The DEP will be holding public comment periods for all of these permits and the requirement for access from the Public Trust will be put forth every time.Any town with restrictions will have to change them in order to get their permit's approved.So we do have some power to fight these parking issues.We as fisherman just have to stand up for ourselves!

Steve thank you for the response!

FC
    PASS IT ON!!TAKE A KID FISHING!!!!

These are some comments that Sudsy made.

The DEP is guaranteeing us that all existing accesses will be preserved and we will have backwater access to all streets, both real and paper, that end on tidal waters as well as public parks that are on tidal waters.

They are also saying that they currently have no legal authority to force the towns to comply and they will not have that authority until this plan is passed - so in other words we are being placed in a position where we have to take the government on their word. (Speaking for myself, that is something I've never been particularly comfortable with)

In our negotiations we have promised them that if this is allowed to pass and they do not then provide everything they have promised we will cause them a political firestorm, in public protest, negative media attacks, and most important in VOTES.
    There are 200,000 saltwater fishermen registered in NJ. We have expressed the opinion that we can get at least 1% of them to vote against any politician that has caused us to lose the ability to fish where and when we want to. That's 2,000 votes, and a large enough threat to be taken seriously.

One of the difficulties is that legislators from non tidal water areas feel that this issue doesn't and can't affect them. They need to realize that this isn't true.

More comments from the Avalon meeting from the bassbarn.
    Thank you to all who went. There are allegedly 200,000 fishermen in NJ and the turnout never reflects that.

"attended the avalon meeting and to me it appeared to go well.
    had the tree huggers and the "i can afford to live on the beach and want to keep it private" people there but had many more in favor of the plan.
    it's not complicated at all.....we just believe the public should be allowed access to public beaches.
    the beaches are for all not just a select group.
    be interested in what happened at long branch meeting as that should have been much better attended and many more user groups there. "

The way I see this it is a battle between the haves and the have nots. Thanks for all the work fellas.