Thread: DEP Proposes Amended Rules to Enhance PublicAccess to Beaches & Waterways

Default DEP Proposes Amended Rules to Enhance PublicAccess to Beaches & Waterways

Sent in by Fin, thanks!

Subject: DEP Release: DEP Proposes Amended Rules to Enhance PublicAccess to Beaches & Waterways

IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
    March 19, 2012

Lawrence Hajna (609) 984-1795

DEP PROPOSES AMENDED RULES TO ENHANCE PUBLIC ACCESS TO BEACHES AND WATERWAYS
    CHANGES MADE IN RESPONSE TO PUBLIC COMMENTS

(12/P28) TRENTON - After considering numerous public comments, the Department of Environmental Protection today formally proposed amended common sense rules to improve and enhance public access to New Jersey's beaches, bays and waterways, DEP Commissioner Bob Martin announced today.

In particular, the DEP has proposed changes that provide greater public access for fishermen across the state, enhanced opportunities for the public to participate in the crafting of municipal public access plans, and clarified the protection and continuity of the Hudson River walkway, while also clarifying rules regarding marinas.

"Providing ample access to our ocean beaches, bays and rivers is a fundamental right for all residents of New Jersey, and the driving force behind these rules," said Commissioner Martin. "We heard the suggestions and concerns expressed by many of our residents during a very robust public comment period over the past year and have responded by making changes to the proposed rules, especially recognizing the needs of the fishing community in New Jersey.

The amendments, published today in the State Register, include the following:

* Provide enhanced public access for recreational fishermen by ensuring that municipal public access plans include defined and guaranteed points of access for day and night fishing.

* Provide greater transparency and public involvement in development of municipal public access plans by ensuring that proposed access plans are posted on the DEP website and that the public has an opportunity to comment on them.

* Do not require marinas to expand access when improving existing facilities, but development on adjacent sites would require marina owners to provide public access plans

* Mandate public access to and along the main route of the Hudson Waterfront Walkway and adjacent piers on a 24-hour basis except in very limited circumstances, and requires conformance to existing Hudson Walkway design guidelines and standards.

Public hearings on the amended rules are scheduled on April 18 in Avalon and Long Branch.
    To read the proposed rules amendments visit: http://www.nj.gov/dep/rules/proposals/20120319a.pdf
    Commissioner Martin noted the DEP will work closely with towns and cities to craft access plans that make local sense and protect the rights and needs of residents and businesses, instead of imposing one-size-fits-all, state-dictated access rules. He stressed that all public access plans developed by municipalities require approval of the DEP, which has final authority over them.

The DEP will assist local governments in developing Municipal Public Access Plans, dedicating state Green Acres Program funds and other state resources to implement local plans, and effectively communicating the wealth of public access already available in New Jersey.

The proposed access rules recognize the Jersey Shore and waterfronts are diverse, dynamic areas that provide a wide range of public access opportunities, from beach access to swimming areas, from places to congregate to places for solitude, and from places to surf, launch a boat, kayak or fish. They also recognize that legitimate recreational opportunities also include the ability to have restaurants and other public establishments along the waterfronts, in appropriate locations.

The DEP also understands the need for meaningful public access to tidal waters in urban areas.

The environmental health and public accessibility of the ocean, shore and tidal waterways also are inextricably tied to New Jersey's economic health. Tourism, much of which is tied to Shore communities, is a $38 billion per year industry in New Jersey.

The Department in 2010 undertook its review of the public access rules, in part, because the courts struck down provisions of existing rules, the Legislature put a moratorium on implementation of provisions requiring marina access, and the DEP recognized that a more common sense approach to the rules could enhance access.

To assist the public, the DEP has launched a Web site http://www.state.nj.us/dep/cmp/access/ that has a wealth of information about public access points, including public restroom and parking facilities, amenities such as restaurants, boat and kayak launches marinas, water quality, handicapped facilities, and places to fish. This guide will enable people to choose the ideal location for them to enjoy New Jersey's coastal and other tidal waters.

Public hearings concerning the amended rules are scheduled on April 18, 11 a.m. in Avalon, at the Avalon Municipal Court Meeting Room, 3100 Dune Drive, Avalon, N.J. 08202; and April 18, 5 p.m. in Long Branch, at the Long Branch Municipal Council Chambers, 344 Broadway, 2nd floor, Long Branch, N.J. 07740. For more information on the hearings visit: http://www.nj.gov/dep/rules/notices/20120319a.html

Written comments may be submitted through May 18, electronically at http://www.nj.gov/dep/rules/comments or in hard copy to N.J. Department of Environmental Protection, Gary Brower, Esq., Attn: DEP Docket No. 05-11-03, Office of Legal Affairs, Mail Code 401-04L, P.O. Box 402, 401 East State Street, Floor 4, Trenton, NJ 08625-0402.

I haven't had a chance to review the full text and amendments in detail. When I do I'll try to get back here and post some thoughts. In the meantime, if you folks aren't happy about a particular provision or amendment, please post up.

This is your access, people....
    and the saddest realization I'm seeing in the last 2 years is that less people care, or seem to want to be involved, even when it's made easy for them....

I have some access concerns going on, where I am fighting battles against certain parties in private....no one seems to think how they may affect our future access...and will be posting these as new developments occur.....

The bottom line.....there are thousands out there willing to let I and others do the work, and who have no interest or don't see it as an issue....until the day they get to their favorite fishing spot, and see they can't fish there anymore.....

Please folks, get involved in access issues where you live and play...before it's too late....

A mentor of mine was fond of saying....

"Access, once lost, is rarely if ever re-gained"

We found that out at Shoreham Beach in Brookhaven, LI.
    We are seeing that on the best shore fishing spots on the North Shore of LI.

We have already lost jetty access from some places ranging from Highlands, NJ to Ocean City, NJ....

Don't think this can't happen in your area, even with this new legislation and amendments....because there are always creative ways a town can maneuver around these.....

Thanks for reading, folks, and don't be shy, feel free to comment....

Default Fisherman's Action Group

Hey Rich the DEP just scheduled a meeting with the fisherman's action group and we want to hear any Tidal water access issues!Please get in touch with me and let me know.Any issues at all!Thanks to guy's like Darksides you all can still fish Let's pull together and fight the powers that be.We are wining let's not give it up now.

FC
    Last edited by fishincrazy; 03-27-2012 at 03:57 PM. Reason: spelling:
    PASS IT ON!!TAKE A KID FISHING!!!!

Thanks for keeping this in the public eye, Jim.
    There are so many issues now where fishermen apathy has taken over....it's gotten to the point where lots of folks are content to let the other guys do it....

I can tell you that Jim has been a tireless fighter in these access wars,,,,,
    And they are wars, or battles, because every time we lose I feel like they cut a piece of my soul away....

I wish more folks would feel that way...but I learned a long time ago I can't tell folks what to feel....

The best we can do is keep them informed and ask for some to lend a hand...

Folks, there will come a point in time where FishinCrazy will get tired too....

Each and every access meeting he goes to, he has to drive over 100 miles round trip...the burdens of doing this are bound to wear some of us down...yet we keep fighting because we're stubborn, and our passion and love for beach access and fishing helps pull us forward....

As Jim said, we could always use more hands....even if ya want to PM him and tell him thanks for all he has done...please do so.....and if you have any NJ access concerns, feel free to:

1. Post them here.
    2. PM FishinCrazy and let him know..
    3. Or e-mail him and let him know.....

Thanks for reading folks.....

Jim, let me know when you want to come fishin up north this year...some nice fish are out there...
    And thanks for all your efforts..

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Thanks for keeping this in the public eye, Jim.
    There are so many issues now where fishermen apathy has taken over....it's gotten to the point where lots of folks are content to let the other guys do it....

I can tell you that Jim has been a tireless fighter in these access wars,,,,,
    And they are wars, or battles, because every time we lose I feel like they cut a piece of my soul away....

I wish more folks would feel that way...but I learned a long time ago I can't tell folks what to feel....

The best we can do is keep them informed and ask for some to lend a hand...

Folks, there will come a point in time where FishinCrazy will get tired too....

Each and every access meeting he goes to, he has to drive over 100 miles round trip...the burdens of doing this are bound to wear some of us down...yet we keep fighting because we're stubborn, and our passion and love for beach access and fishing helps pull us forward....
    Funny thing I was told by a friend that I'd never stop fighting because I was to stupid to know when I was beat. LOL
    I'm in I will call you.I've been hearing all about the fish from Chris and Joe.I will be fishing soon.I've been staying close to home saving some money waiting for the big girls to come in!We will fish this spring.

FC

I scanned the pdf quickly. I didn't see anything in it about being allowed, or not allowed, to fish jetties. What about the street parking being restricted. I think they did that in either Long Branch or Deal where there is no parking on one street. Pullman ave I think?

Quote Originally Posted by paco33 View Post
    I scanned the pdf quickly. I didn't see anything in it about being allowed, or not allowed, to fish jetties. What about the street parking being restricted. I think they did that in either Long Branch or Deal where there is no parking on one street. Pullman ave I think?
    Paco we where told that the state has always allowed fishing access to Jetty's if you are told by a policeman to leave a Jetty Let me know!I will do whatever it takes to keep people fishing the tidal waters of NJ!!!!!!

The parking problem is another issue all together.The DEP requires Towns to provide parking for access.They are not aware of the parking issues we face.The group has brought up this issue many times and we will again at this next meeting.I will talk to them about Pullman Ave!We have also discussed Point Pleasant and Brick who have pay to park rules in effect.We have also talked about the 2 hour limit and no parking after 10 o'clock sign in Bayhead.We will keep fighting the state so as not to lose our right to access Tidal Water.

Thank you Paco for showing interest in.

FC

Quote Originally Posted by fishincrazy View Post
    The parking problem is another issue all together.The DEP requires Towns to provide parking for access.They are not aware of the parking issues we face.The group has brought up this issue many times and we will again at this next meeting.I will talk to them about Pullman Ave!We have also discussed Point Pleasant and Brick who have pay to park rules in effect.We have also talked about the 2 hour limit and no parking after 10 o'clock sign in Bayhead.We will keep fighting the state so as not to lose our right to access Tidal Water.
    FC
    I don't know how you will be successful fighting the parking fishing crazy. I don't like the restrictions but I kind of see how the townspeople could get mad. Have you seen the AH jetty lately? It has turned into a garbage dump on some weekend days. I cannot believe how sloppy some of these idiots are.

We also have to pay for parking in Asbury Park, and even in the bombed out lot at 8h ave they now have oarking spots and you have to pay. I don't see how you can fight that. They definitely won't take them out once they put them in place. I think it's just something we are going to have to put up with. As for Pullman, I don't blame the folks who live there having those signs put up. Have you seen the insanity and trash and disgusting behavior that happens on that street when the bite is on? Shameful.

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    I don't know how you will be successful fighting the parking fishing crazy. I don't like the restrictions but I kind of see how the townspeople could get mad. Have you seen the AH jetty lately? It has turned into a garbage dump on some weekend days. I cannot believe how sloppy some of these idiots are.

We also have to pay for parking in Asbury Park, and even in the bombed out lot at 8h ave they now have oarking spots and you have to pay. I don't see how you can fight that. They definitely won't take them out once they put them in place. I think it's just something we are going to have to put up with. As for Pullman, I don't blame the folks who live there having those signs put up. Have you seen the insanity and trash and disgusting behavior that happens on that street when the bite is on? Shameful.
    The deal with reigning in fisherman who are pigs is something we as fisherman have to take control of.I know I for one do not tolerate any A-Holes when I am fishing.I have picked up trash that I have seen guy's throwing on the ground and sent the same guy's home with it.I also carry trash bags with me when I fish.The number of fisherman who are affected by the few scumbags out there have to stand up and force these pieces of @#%#$^^$ to keep quiet ,pick up after themselves,and follow the rules so we don't loose our right to fish!I agree that there are some real scumbags out there those people need to be educated.I find a baseball bat to be a great teacher!

Now as far as the parking issue when any of these towns apply for a permit to build on tidal water or request beach replenishment,or want to do anything which requires a permit along tidal water,we as fisherman will have a voice.The DEP will be holding public comment periods for all of these permits and the requirement for access from the Public Trust will be put forth every time.Any town with restrictions will have to change them in order to get their permit's approved.So we do have some power to fight these parking issues.We as fisherman just have to stand up for ourselves!

Steve thank you for the response!

FC

These are some comments that Sudsy made.

The DEP is guaranteeing us that all existing accesses will be preserved and we will have backwater access to all streets, both real and paper, that end on tidal waters as well as public parks that are on tidal waters.

They are also saying that they currently have no legal authority to force the towns to comply and they will not have that authority until this plan is passed - so in other words we are being placed in a position where we have to take the government on their word. (Speaking for myself, that is something I've never been particularly comfortable with)

In our negotiations we have promised them that if this is allowed to pass and they do not then provide everything they have promised we will cause them a political firestorm, in public protest, negative media attacks, and most important in VOTES.
    There are 200,000 saltwater fishermen registered in NJ. We have expressed the opinion that we can get at least 1% of them to vote against any politician that has caused us to lose the ability to fish where and when we want to. That's 2,000 votes, and a large enough threat to be taken seriously.

One of the difficulties is that legislators from non tidal water areas feel that this issue doesn't and can't affect them. They need to realize that this isn't true.

More comments from the Avalon meeting from the bassbarn.
    Thank you to all who went. There are allegedly 200,000 fishermen in NJ and the turnout never reflects that.

"attended the avalon meeting and to me it appeared to go well.
    had the tree huggers and the "i can afford to live on the beach and want to keep it private" people there but had many more in favor of the plan.
    it's not complicated at all.....we just believe the public should be allowed access to public beaches.
    the beaches are for all not just a select group.
    be interested in what happened at long branch meeting as that should have been much better attended and many more user groups there. "

The way I see this it is a battle between the haves and the have nots. Thanks for all the work fellas.