Thread: PEW MPAs

Hybrid View

Default PEW MPAs

Protecting the Future of Fish

Depleted fish populations and coastal communities that depend on healthy fisheries need your help. During the past three years, more than 50,000 activists like you have helped us end and prevent overfishing of such iconic fish as red snapper and gag grouper. Now similar species that form large groups to reproduce need protections for prime habitat and spawning grounds to ensure their long-term sustainability.
    It’s like getting good prenatal care: We take extra care of new moms to ensure a healthy start for the next generation.

Federal managers in the Southeast need to hear your support for sustainable fisheries. Please urge them to establish new protections for important spawning sites and critical habitats.

Thanks for your help! Sign up to receive monthly updates on this and other important ocean conservation issues in the Southeast by clicking here.

Sincerely,
    Holly Binns
    Director, Southeast Fish Conservation Campaign
    Pew Environment Group

Protecting the Future of Fish

Many iconic snapper and grouper species in the Southeast U.S. are slow-growing, late-maturing, long-lived fish that can take decades to recover once depleted. Some form predictable, localized, seasonal spawning groups that are especially vulnerable to overfishing. With the help of more than 50,000 people like you, our Southeast Fish Conservation Campaign has helped end and prevent overfishing of hundreds of species from Texas to Florida to North Carolina and off the coasts of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Now we need your help to ensure their long-term sustainability by protecting critical habitat and spawning grounds.

Please sign the petition below, urging fishery managers in the U.S. South Atlantic, Caribbean, and Gulf of Mexico to establish new protections for spawning grounds and critical habitat for these species.

Amendment 14 to the Snapper Grouper Fishery Management Plan

http://www.safmc.net/MPAInformationPage/tabid/469/Default.aspx

Thanks for posting this, NJ Diver.
    Folks don't know how insidious and sneaky the PEW and PEW financed groups are.

Conservation is an admirable goal. We try to show folks that here, in the Catch and Release thread...
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?5854-Catch-and-release-thread

There are some instances where folks are doing things in the name of conservation.,,,,
    They have seminars/symposiums with impressive sounding names....
    They rally fishermen for a supposedly benign cause that is supposed to benefit them,,,,

Meanwhile, they have the ultimate goal of reducing overall numbers of participatiion in fishing.....

In some ways, I agree that changes need to be made,,,,, more folks than ever before are fishing.... but to have an elite group of scientists and extreme environmentalists, decide who should, and should not, fish....is so wrong to me, it might as well be Hitler in charge.....I know these feelings are strong, and I just want to convey this info to folks so they become aware...

It's no secret where I stand on PEW and PEW supported groups., because I don't like the subterfuge they go through to gain fishermens' attention.....

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post

.... but to have an elite group of scientists and extreme environmentalists, decide who should, and should not, fish....is so wrong to me, it might as well be Hitler in charge.....I know these feelings are strong, and I just want to convey this info to folks so they become aware...

Umm dark skies, the head of the NOAA is dr kubchenko. She is just like Hitler so that is a good comparison. Thank you njdiver.

Right you are hookedonbass. Thanks for pointing that out...

Clarification:
    NJdiver generally posts these threads on several fishing sites to raise awareness of the issue. It seems today he posted this thread in several other places where they assumed he was "For" MPAs and promoting them....

just to be clear....

"The one thing about NJdiver's posts is that he sometimes puts this stuff up without a sentence or 2 explaining where he stands...
    If you do a search on NJdiver's posts, you will see he's been involved in some of the same issues that we fishermen are fighting for..."pots off the reefs" etc, which in the end benefits anyone who fishes, or dives, on those reefs"

"Remember this when you are exposed to certain groups that claim they are working "with" fishermen......and ask yourselves if the financing for any of these groups came from PEW, or PEW interests (there are many organizations under PEW, a good deal of them entirely opposed to what we as fishermen want)

If MPA's ever get up and running in NJ, we will not be able to fight to get rid of them....it will be too late then.
    the time to fight, and feel offended,
    and use that anger to do everything possible to stop these people, is NOW

Don't let it happen in NJ...
    NJDiver, us fishermen, land based and boat based, will all suffer if it does..... and this is something that we will never be able to "fix" if it does happen..."

PEW = Pussilinanimous Environmental Weirdos!

So as always, I thank NJ Diver for being on the forefront of what is happning in fisheries and fisheries manageent for our area...which I'm assuming also translates to issues for Divers as well.

And those of us who think this is boring.,.....remember that there are a lot of folks who would eventually like to see MPAs in NJ...and we need to thank folks like NJ Diver and others for their vigilance....