Thread: Stripers & Anglers Education Series: Understanding Bluefish Migration

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    The bluefish action in the bays is shaping up to be some of the best inshore and surf action he have had in years. I'm very excited about this. Hope other folks are as well.
    ...good luck out there, people....
    This really is turning out to be an exceptional year for bluefish. Over the last 2 weeks, the bluefish bite on artificials has been somewhat inconsistent. Throwing bunker chunks brought more consistency. The assessment from that is that the water is a little cold and they were sluggish..all true.

And although I have been doing well on them at night, if there is not a lot of bait present in the water they can be very picky. I don't think people who say "you can catch bluefish with a spoon and a hook" have ever seriously targeted them with artificials at night....because it ain't that easy in colder water......

However, with the warming of the water, the last few days things have ramped up a bit. Coupled with the sunny and hotter forecast for the next 5 days, look for the bluefish action to explode during this time in more places instead of the usual traditional back-bay areas.

They are truly a lot of fun to catch, especially the bigger ones, at least to me they are....get out there and get some before they leave...

**Jamaica Bay is now heating up as the region's premier area they are drawn to because of food and water temps.....so while they are still in our area as well, try to get out there soon....

That is very informative. You could write a book on what you posted here or at least an article for on the water. Thanks for posting that.

Default Re: Stripers & Anglers Education Series: Understanding Bluefish Migration

"Blues migrate south in winter. They migrate offshore late June/early July to spawn"

I read this on the internet today and was going to ask if someone had any different ideas? I read page 1 of this thread and don't see how this can be true. Do they all migrate south in the winter?