Thread: Stripers & Anglers Education Series: Understanding Bluefish Migration

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post

There is further, detailed discussion of this recent phenomenon in the following thread: http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...riped-Bass-Fis

For those of you who want to understand the shift and all its implications, I suggest you read the thread above. In this thread I'll try to just touch on the basics of migration, and some of the reasons behind it.

Lets hear it for Professor Googan

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Fin, you and I have talked about this... Our conversations are responsible for a lot of the content I formulate, and I want everyone to know how much credit you and some other friends deserve. I'm just the guy who can put things into nice sounding words and paragraphs, but it's the old-timers like Fin and others here who deserve the real credit....they have conversations like this every day...just go down to Castaways B&T and grab a cup of coffee, and you would be amazed at some of the things that are discussed over the counter down there...

One of the motivations for putting up threads like this was to celebrate the knowledge that the old timers have, which far eclipses that of anyone writing some of the recent books that have come out lately...

I don't mean to detract or criticize any one writer specifically, but some of the younger anglers out there assume the latest in the internet popular writers, are inventing this stuff as they are writing it....and that it is Gospel...not realizing that many of these "New Techniques" and "Cutting Edge Approaches" have been around for years.....

Meanwhile, guys like Fin and others, have been generously dispensing their knowledge, one thread at a time, for the benefit of new and experienced anglers alike....all for free, and doing it unselfishly.....

The stuff contained in this "Fishing the Old Ways" thread that Fin started is priceless, and doesn't cost folks one penny to learn....
    It's golden advice that I think is important to preserve, as many new anglers want to focus on the pot of the gold at the end of the rainbow, and not on the path that takes them there....
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...g-the-old-ways

Another reason I started this S&A continuing education series is that there are respected anglers out there, voices of the communities they are in, who really don't understand migration, striped bass, bluefish, and all other species, to the extent that they are not sure why fish are in a certain area at a certain time of year....

As a result some of of them give out information that is inaccurate. IMO that really doesn't help the guys who are looking to learn. I know many folks just want to catch a fish, and learning for some of them is secondary....but what I have been fortunate to learn is that the conditions about WHY the fish are there, are key to being able to consistently catch fish.....If you truly want to learn, and log your failures as well as your successes, you will be almost be able to predict how the fish will behave, in terms of movement, throughout a season of fishing.

To me, being able to track those fish, and the whys and the subtle nuances of what happens during the migrations, is as exciting as the fishing itself....and it's something a few close friends and I have obsessive conversations about.....

As mentioned, I know that most folks just want to catch a fish....
    but what if you could increase your odds over time, by focusing on time, tides, bait patterns, migration and weather patterns, to the extent that you could decrease your time not catching by focusing on times and places where the fish were likely to be?

That's what I'm trying to get folks to think about here, when they read threads like this...
    And also, as part of the big picture, to try to understand more about fish and bait migration and how it relates to our perceptions of the fish biomass and it's relative health or lack thereof...

** Also, when I or Finchaser posts up a thread, I sometimes think that folks may feel intimidated in responding...remember that there are no "wrong" answers here....we all have opinions, and if you think you have something to contribute, even if you don't agree.... please do....