You can take a cheap popper and remove both trebles and split rings if the plug is equipped with them, then crimp a wire leader about 1- 2ft. long from the rear tailoop on the plug on the other end crimp a 6/0 VMC Siwash.Off the front of the plug you can just attach a short wire leader to your mainline,I know the fear of just having one single hook and not catching while everyone else is, but it works and while your catching they are prying trebels out of a blues mouth.I was taught this by a very old man I met years ago you will also gain casting distance without the trebles and bass will hit a wire leader I fish wire almost exclusively in a spring spot because of the blues and catch bass without a problem.

I think a common misconception is the bass are shying away from the wire but I believe the case is the blues are getting there faster.If bass are following and not hitting just stop the plug for a second then they realize the food is mine a sinking popper works well when they do this because it stops the plug and drops it right in front of them. Just some random thoughts.