Thread: Big blues ruining or stealing your plugs, what do you do?

Default Big blues ruining or stealing your plugs, what do you do?

We have had some fantastic blues biting on the South shore of LI this week. They are hitting rubber shads, bucktails, and in the last few days it seems they mostly want plugs. On Sat and Sunday I lost 3 gibbs poppers to these demons.
    They are so violent they are also ripping the hooks off too.
    What do you guys suggest when they are here so thick and the best bite is on plugs? Wire leader? I am now out $48 because of my losses just this weekend alone.

u know its part of the game u loose a plug reel up retie and keep fishing

7deadlyplugs......here is a reply I wrote trying to help someone else.....

Those big blues really tear up the better plugs.
    I don't know what you pay for your plugs, but here are some of the things I do to cut down costs, and increase the chance to land that 30# bass when it's the one on your plug....

1. Buy "beater plugs" at winter garage sales and flea markets.
    I buy great used wood and plastic plugs for around $1.5o- to 3 each. Carry them with you for times like this.

2. When big bluefish are around take out your bag of beater plugs, and then you won't feel bad when losing them. This is not directed at you, but I don't understand the logic of guys throwing $20-35 plugs when big blues are around.

3. Cut the weaker hooks off and replace with quality split rings and good hooks.

4. Change out the split rings (I use wolverines) and hooks to heavier and better quality ones. Never been a fan of the hooks where you close the eyes with pliers. Lose a 35lb bass on one, and you will see what I mean.

5. Here is a video on Youtube where I show guys how to upgrade the Daiwa SP. You can follow the instructions here for all your plugs with weaker hooks.

Just do a search on youtube for daiwa sp
    if you have trouble with cutting and pasting the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4fqb9hr7L0

hope this helps, better luck next time.
    Catch em up.

Good advice, and you can also add a single hook for the back as most blues hit the back hook.

3 ft. wire leader would of saved some bucks.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Nice video ds. 7dp I second the flea market advice. Why waste your hard earned money on these monsters when you know they all have teeth? That's why I like to use spoons too like the krocodile and castmaster. If your retrieve is fast enough you are almost guaranteed they will not swallow it and be hooked in the lip or head. I think skinner made a good point about single hooks change-out. that makes it a lot easier and you will catch more this way. Good luck.

Default Re: Big blues ruining or stealing your plugs, what do you do?

I like my plugs having scars and looking beat to hell,shows that they get used and are catching fish.
    it also shows that they are actually being used and not hanging on someones wal.
    it seems to me that if someone wants a plug to hang on the wall I woud use something bought off the store shelf.
    I did make 3 for a guy that wanted them to hang up for decoration,those were plugs that were not sealed or would even work if fished,they do look great but, for actual fishing they are not suitable at all.

now,when gators are large and in numbers,i use 100 pound mono leaders,nrmally i use 60-80 but,if they are thick,I use 100 grand slam,stuff is stiff and takes a shredding.
    also,I fish the edges of the fish and don't throw in the middle of them,less teeth on the fringe you know.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heavy-Hooksetter's Heavy Action Pix 585.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	15736Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heavy-Hooksetter's Heavy Action Pix 112.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	15737

R-P
    Takes a Big Man to sling Big Wood,,,,boys sling plastic,,,,,,,

Default Wire leader & tins

I found myself with only 4 AVAs & a Kastmaster in my bag during a 4 hour bluefish blitz in MTK last Saturday.
    My other plugs were Super Strike poppers & six bucktails. They never left my bag!
    My wire leader was also left behind because i was targetting Bass.

A few bit through my 80 pound leader & I was down to my last AVA jig & a kastmaster.
    I had 50 blues & a bass that day. My state limit was well worth the $8 i spent for AVAs & TA clips.

in a bluefish blitz i always sling metal the siwash hook is EZ to remove from the toothy Blues.
    If you want to toss top water plugs i'd choose those Tsunami poppers $7 dollar a plug.

Please keep in mind I fish primarily for food, not recognition or contests.
    All the fish you see we're given to greatful families to use for food, please keep any comments respectful
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	318903_546737825352077_89782601_n.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	15738

Switch to bucktail and pork.

broom stick plugs. a few years ago we were at a blue blitzes.....and the guy next to us told us he's going to his car to get his broom stick plugs ....we had no clue what he was talking about ...he came back and showed us ...they were broom stick handles about 6" with a single hook on the back ...no fancy paint job ....he started throwing them and catching ....when I got home I made a few and never looked back . I always have a few junkie plugs with me just in case

never use trebles hook for blues ....you watch guys spent 10 min trying to unhook a blues

Like DK said good hooks and rings ....
    used a needle fish plug with no belly hook ...this will let you grab the plug and unhook the fish faster

Hey madcaster I was just curious have you seen any big blues lately? thanks

I haven't been fishing in a while ...to busy ...no report of any blues Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5842_419821164767383_296124277_n.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	17696 I make these just for blues ...fly like a rocket ..I can grab the plug and pop the fish right off ....

Quote Originally Posted by 7deadlyplugs View Post
    We have had some fantastic blues biting on the South shore of LI this week. They are hitting rubber shads, bucktails, and in the last few days it seems they mostly want plugs. On Sat and Sunday I lost 3 gibbs poppers to these demons.
    They are so violent they are also ripping the hooks off too.
    What do you guys suggest when they are here so thick and the best bite is on plugs? Wire leader? I am now out $48 because of my losses just this weekend alone.

I would have some cheap poppers on hand just for an occasion like those capt.bills.
    they also make an atom jr. copy.
    they do work I have at least one in my light lure bag,they only cost like 10 bucks so,it does not hurt to lose one 'er 2.

R-P
    Takes a Big Man to sling Big Wood,,,,boys sling plastic,,,,,,,

You can take a cheap popper and remove both trebles and split rings if the plug is equipped with them, then crimp a wire leader about 1- 2ft. long from the rear tailoop on the plug on the other end crimp a 6/0 VMC Siwash.Off the front of the plug you can just attach a short wire leader to your mainline,I know the fear of just having one single hook and not catching while everyone else is, but it works and while your catching they are prying trebels out of a blues mouth.I was taught this by a very old man I met years ago you will also gain casting distance without the trebles and bass will hit a wire leader I fish wire almost exclusively in a spring spot because of the blues and catch bass without a problem.

I think a common misconception is the bass are shying away from the wire but I believe the case is the blues are getting there faster.If bass are following and not hitting just stop the plug for a second then they realize the food is mine a sinking popper works well when they do this because it stops the plug and drops it right in front of them. Just some random thoughts.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.