Thread: Row boat in ocean safety

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    A 14' or 16' bass boat does not belong in the open bay or ocean. One good wake from a boat and they're swamped before they even figure out where the life vests are.
    Weather and conditions can indeed change instantly. I saw some very irresponsible boating on the 4th of july weekend. I think it should be mandatory that everyone operating a boat have taken a safety course with a certificate to prove it. I know this might be impractival with the rowboat renters. Some of them take the biggest risks. When I see children without life vests I think they don't know how close they could be to a mortal tragedy. Every year someone dies because they didn't have their life vest on. I know the coast guard can only do so much. Everyone gripes about being boarded. However it is a lot less painful to pay a find for negligent behavior than to have to explain that their child is dead because of an error that was forseeable. Let's be careful out there folks.

I saw this it looked like a aluminum boat about 16-18'. Pretty dicey to fish out of in an inlet this time of year. Pic grab from a surf cam.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3903.JPG