Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honey the Striped Bass are Shrinking...How to Recognize the Signs

Default Honey the Striped Bass are Shrinking...How to Recognize the Signs

The official striped bass Biomass numbers are a lie......
    How do I know this?

Default Re: Honey the Striped Bass are Shrinking...How to Recognize the Signs

I know this because I spend between 200-250 nights a year fishing for them....

Because I used to target them solely in NJ.
    As little as 8 years ago, I could catch a half dozen small bass in an hour before work, getting my fix for the day.
    And then go about my normal business happy, and content.

Fast forward that fishing mindset to 2012-

I have expanded my striped bass range to 5 states...
    meaning I now have to fish NJ and 4 surrounding states, to get the numbers and sizes of fish that I used to catch in NJ.
    This has skyrocketed my expenses to catch bass, and frankly it's killing me...don't know how much longer I can keep it up....or want to.....

Because I remember how easy it used to be to catch a few striped bass, just a few short years ago....

And most importantly....
    Because over the last decade I have built a network of contacts all along the Striper Coast...

And these conversations, hundreds of them, with folks from all walks of life, who love to fish for striped bass, are all starting to have the same resounding themes......

Default Misguided attempts to fix EVERYTHING ELSE but the real problem....

There are a number of fishermen groups out there, now trying to save the bunker.

The theory they are putting out there, is that the poor striped bass are starving.
    If only there were more bunker, we could have more bass.

Why, because God will deliver them to us from Heaven, that's why....

If you want to learn more about why saving the bunker, will NOT save the bass...
    here is just one of the many threads here that will help folks understand a bit better...
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...e-Bass-Numbers

Default Drawing the Parallels to 1979-1981

In 1982 a striped bass moratorium was imposed on the Eastern Coastal States in which you could not target and kill striped bass....

Various measures were implemented after this moratorium, one of them being that in NJ a 36" size limit was imposed, one fish per day....

I want folks reading this to understand how bad it was.....
    Back then, 30 years ago, a size limit of 36" was great because before that it was 18"......score one for the guys who were trying to bring them back.....

but the one thing I don't think many people understand, is that you could go weeks without catching a striped bass....it was so bad, that bluefish, fluke, and weakfish were the fish you targeted in the inshore waters...striped bass were an "incidental catch" because catching one, for most folks, was so rare....

Default Conditions that Contributed to the 1982 Moratorium

1. Commercial Fishing - was permitted then, and is arguably the biggest single cause of the decline. Recreational fishing had nowhere near the participation and numbers of folks that we have today.

2. Belief that the Resource would renew itself forever.

3. Faith in the numbers provided by the Gov't Scientists.

4. Overconfidence that the Striped Bass would survive any type of fishing pressure that we could lay on them.

5. General lack of support for any Conservation efforts, save the "Sky is Falling" messages from forward thinkers like Bob Pond and others (several threads here on that).

Default Background on Bob Pond....

It's hard for some to understand how things were 30 years ago.
    Some new entrants to this sport have only been fishing 5 years or less.

Bob Pond was a guy who marched to the beat of a different drummer.
    An accomplished surfcaster and plugbuilder, with many trophy bass to his credit...

Yet as he caught more big bass he began to notice the decline of the sizes and numbers.....

Many of his peers did not see what he saw,,,and back 30 years ago, if someone called you a Conservationist, they might have as well called you a Communist..........the label was that bad....

He spoke out for the Future, and in his mind, it was something he could see clearly, that others could not.
    When folks give me credit for threads like this, I would rather point to Bob Pond from MA,

Bob from NJ , and the many I have come to know, that believe the way he did....

Some background info for those who want to learn more about Bob Pond...

Bob Pond has passed...
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...light=bob+pond

Massachusetts Custom fishing plug makers

Living Legends

Moratorium, Life Without Striped Bass

Why Should I care?

Legends of the Salt

Where are the bass?

Default Conditions that Are Contributing to our 2010 Decade of Decline....

1. Everything in post 5 above, minus the commercial fishing.....

PLUS........

* M&M Theory

* Lack of Varied Year Classes

* Decline of bigger bass, the 40-60lb year classes.

* Lack of Schoolie Bass in Wide-Ranging Areas

* Professional Capts and others Hyping the bite......this does more a disservice to the reality than several of the above factors as some of these Capts should know better when they claim there more bass than ever before......

Default Looking for S&A Member Opinions....

I presented the basic outline, folks.
    I'll come back to add as I get more time, and address your questions.

In the meantime, what are your opinions?
    Can you add anything to help shed some light on these issues, and help raise awareness?

Thanks, folks....

Default Re: Misguided attempts to fix EVERYTHING ELSE but the real problem....

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    The theory they are putting out there, is that the poor striped bass are starving.
    If only there were more bunker, we could have more bass.

Why, because God will deliver them to us from Heaven, that's why....
    The real tragedy is there are a lot of guys who believe this. Good thread, dark.

I have been fishing the salt regularly for around 20 years.
    Here's my opinion. In that time I have seen the rise of the bunker blitzes. This has enabled surf guys to get fish beyond their wildest dreams. In that time it also seems like speaking of NJ we have a hot spring season culminating in the bunker blitzes. Then the water gets hot and the fish move North. They come back around Oct and from Oct to Nov we have more consistent action on our beaches.

This is hard to wrap my head around. 2 solid months of great, fantastic action, supplemented by other months of sporadic action. Dark I remember when it was more consistent. I think that was about 8-10 years ago. We had fish in March, April, May, June (in the ocean), and then Sept, Oct, Nov, and Dec.

So we traded 8 months of regular action for 2 months of insane beat your chest action.
    I would rather have the 8 months of regular action back. Unfortunately I do think the reason for this is all the beating of the chests,, tackle shop heroes and pics on the internet. You aren't a man unless you are weighing in and taking a video of a 40lb fish. When did that become a prerequisit for manhood in NJ? Seems pretty silly to me but if you ask me that is where all the bass went - all the internet heroes. I mean, how many 40lb bass can you eat anyway? Heard they taste like a** anyway.

Thanks for your opinions, guys.
    Some good perspectives, and solid evidence you have provided.

I have started a yearly stock assessment, addressing each area, on a twice a year basis.....

For those who want to read more....
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ed=1#post59637

This is eye opening. Thanks for posting.

Dark I think you're wasting your breath, but thanks. People won't see the train wreck until there are no fish. The signs are already on the wall, what more do they need to see?

Jigfreak, good point, but the vast majority of anglers fishing today, were not fishing during the moratorium. Hence, education is needed to show those who doubt, what the trends are showing.

I really think they should do something about the commercial netters. Can't keep filling the nets like that every year down south and not expect it to take a toll.

Default Re: Drawing the Parallels to 1979-1981

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    In 1982 a striped bass moratorium was imposed on the Eastern Coastal States in which you could not target and kill striped bass....

Various measures were implemented after this moratorium, one of them being that in NJ a 36" size limit was imposed, one fish per day....

I want folks reading this to understand how bad it was.....
    Back then, 30 years ago, a size limit of 36" was great because before that it was 18"......score one for the guys who were trying to bring them back.....

but the one thing I don't think many people understand, is that you could go weeks without catching a striped bass....it was so bad, that bluefish, fluke, and weakfish were the fish you targeted in the inshore waters...striped bass were an "incidental catch" because catching one, for most folks, was so rare....

I remember that, dark. Was just a kid then. Would go out with my grandpa or dad, and catch bluefish and weakfish. When I got my first striper I didn't know what it was thought it was a weakfish without the front teeth. It was far different than it is today. One thing I have seen mentioned here several times is a slot limit. That makes sense to me. And cut down the allowable catch from 2 to one. One fish a day between 28-36".

Also No bonus tag. Maybe in some way they could tie the bonus tags to tournaments instead of giving them back to the commercial lobby. My .02.

Link to the Saltwater Sportsman Article, sent by Fin, thanks!

http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/sp...s-striped-bass

William "Doc" Muller on bass in the Chesapeake and Hudson. Doc has written a few books and knows his ****.

Muller lays it out in no-nonsense language. The ASMFC knows its true but doesn't want to do anything about it. thanks for posting that.

Thought some might have some comments to the Doc Muller video, or maybe some of ya's haven't yet seen it and might like to take a look....
    Comments welcome, both positive and negative.....all opinions welcome here....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast