Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you still fish if snag and drop was not allowed?

Default Would you still fish if snag and drop was not allowed?

Before I went to SH tonight I started at Manasquan and rode the beach. There were places where there were 10-15 guys at a time. All standing around with their hands in their pockets or using binoculars.

I saw very little goiing on in the way of fishing.
    It seems like most folks are waiting for that big blitz. Other wise fishing is a waste of time?
    How many big blitzes did we really have in jetty country this year?

I read the posts here where finchaser and others say most guys would give up fishing without snag and drop.

I was wondering if you could not snag and drop, would you still fish?

Default Re: Woukl you still fish if snag and drop was not allowed?

You didn't qualify if it was solely for surf or all fishing.
    Here is my take. If you are out amongst pods of bass, and they are on bunkker it is sometimes difficult to get them to eat anything else. Troll umbrellas and shads and you get covered up with blues. Jig and the blues are on top. Trolling maja spoons will put you on bass if you are down deep enough. The point is that sometimes snag and drop is the most effective way to single out the biggest bass. Not trying to cause dissension as I imagine it is different for guys from the surf as it is on a boat. Just my .02.

I have not and never will fish via "snag and drop".
    A big part of my enjoyment in surf fishing is tricking a fish into striking an artificial presentation.
    I also feel that way to many large bass have been killed the last few years and snag and drop has contributed to this in a big way. So I am kinda against snag and drop fishing from that perspective (would welcome any laws restricting/eliminating snag and drop fishing). Just my .02 and also not tying to cause any dissension.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

A guy posted this on another site, I agree.
    Snag and drop- "I call it musical chairs fishing.
    When the music stops, you better hope you have a seat or your out.
    Other than that, there's absolutely no skill in it."

I average 300 bass a year and never snag and drop.

But you can bet on this, that snag and drop will put and end to bass fishing as the breeding stock is being wiped out by a mindless way of fishing done mostly by clueless people who don't understand the damage they are doing

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Yes I'm a plug guy.But retired from fishing anyways.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

temporally retired^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post
    Snag and drop- "I call it musical chairs fishing.
    When the music stops, you better hope you have a seat or your out.
    Other than that, there's absolutely no skill in it."
    Thanks for that, hookset....

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    I average 300 bass a year and never snag and drop.
    But you can bet on this, that snag and drop will put and end to bass fishing as the breeding stock is being wiped out by a mindless way of fishing done mostly by clueless people who don't understand the damage they are doing
    I'm so sorry you said that, ya grouchy basstid....now, people won't "like" you on Facebook......

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    No I'm a plug guy.But retired from fishing anyways.
    "Temporarily...."

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    temporally retired^^^^
    Yup, if finchaser says it, let ti be written, let it be done....

True story......

There were some big bass caught yesterday (Fri) when fish were close to some beaches for at least 3 hours. Very happy that some guys got their PB bass from the surf....

What I'm not happy about is legitimate phone reports that were phoned in, of guys weighing in their fish at certain shops, giving them away to anyone who wanted them in the shop, and then back out again to get some more......that behavior, is absolutely appalling...and the guys doing it deserve our collective shame.....

This probably doesn't matter, because the ones who have been doing this, will keep doing it...just wanted to raise awareness that it is still happening,......

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    What I'm not happy about is legitimate phone reports that were phoned in, of guys weighing in their fish at certain shops, giving them away to anyone who wanted them in the shop, and then back out again to get some more......that behavior, is absolutely appalling...and the guys doing it deserve our collective shame.....

This probably doesn't matter, because the ones who have been doing this, will keep doing it...just wanted to raise awareness that it is still happening,......

Disgusting.

None of those boats would have been there today if not for snag and drop as that was all they wre doing, and not one hooked up in the half hour I glassed them.

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...hes-2009/page2

No. because bunker look ridiculous stuck to a bomber.

Plus, they kinda mess up the action...

I don't do facebook ,the entire internet when it comes to fishing SU_KS

This is the attitude of a lot of guys out there, In Ristori's column Friday.

"Capt. Chris De Stefano of Wall said his son got into lots of big bass off Spring Lake this morning but was upset about the lack of releases of those large females by some boaters."

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post

"Capt. Chris De Stefano of Wall said his son got into lots of big bass off Spring Lake this morning but was upset about the lack of releases of those large females by some boaters."
    Hey now those are harsh words. When there are less cows can't we just order more from Amazon or Ebay?
    I feel that half the snag and drop crowd could not catch a fish without this or blitz fishing. Try hopping up and down on the boulder fields of mecca for 6 hours a night till your back is so sore it's crooked for a few 20 or 30lb fish. That's real fishing. Standing around snagging or dropping is nothing. Half these folks only fish for bass for 3 months of the year and then quit because they don't have what it takes to catch them all year

Thought some might like to revisit this. Good topic, bucket.....
    The last time I did this.....I was desperate....out on JB's boat late Spring 2015..(first time doing that in years)..because the larger fish just were not coming into the NJ beaches this year.....

The bunker pods were miles long....the actual catches of bass were scattered....we were among bunker schools all night.

Started out at the perfect time in late afternoon.....and couldn't buy even one fish....with the exception of a hefty cownose ray I caught......

If you want a large bass this Fall, either
    1. fishing live bunker,
    2. Pencil popping among actively feeding fish,
    3. or trolling seems to be the most logical way to do it.

Fin was out on the boat yesterday, and today.....among the bunker schools.....
    They did pretty well.
    Just to clarify....(They don't really snag and drop....they snag the bunker, bring them in, and put back out on a circle hook.
    That reduces the chances of gut hooked bass).....

Nonetheless, he saw quite a few dead bass floating in the water yesterday......

Thank you all for the different opinions and the adult discussion....
    Bumping this thread, in case any of ya's had more thoughts....or wanted to add to it....thanks....

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    among the bunker schools.....
    They did pretty well.

Nonetheless, he saw quite a few dead bass floating in the water yesterday......
    Yeah my thoughts are some things never change. From 2012 to 2015. There will always be meatheads who justify whatever they are doing. Keeping undersized tog on the jetties. Culling 15 pound bass so they can bring more meat home. These guys if you put them in front of the mirror they would not recognize themselves. You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by jonthepain View Post
    No. because bunker look ridiculous stuck to a bomber.

Plus, they kinda mess up the action...
    Hah good one.

You guys know if you want the biggest fish you HAVE to snag and drop. Or get them on the troll. Biggest ones are usually on the bottom below the 24 and 28 inchers. Just saying.

True, I agree.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast