Thread: 70 lb bass caught and released in MoCo 6-6-12?

Default 70 lb bass caught and released in MoCo 6-6-12?

This (allegedly) happened yesterday in a boat off of Monmouth County.
    Someone called me about it and allegedly saw the pics.

I still have no verifiable confirmation of the fish, so as of now it's strictly a rumor.

Here's what was reported to me....again, all alleged until it gets confirmed....

"The guy who caught it, his name is Jim.
    The guy fishing with him writes in the Asbury Press Hook Line and Sinker Fishing series, so I think it will be mentioned in tomorrow's column.
    The lucky angler, Jim, is a member of the Monmouth County Cartoppers. "

Default Re: 70 lb bass caught and released in MoCo

I'm happy to hear about bigger fish being caught, if it did happen.

I don't begrudge anyone their moment in the sun if it's a lifetime achievement for them.

It is true, however, that I and others have seen a marked decline in some of the biggest year classes in the last few seasons.

It seems many charter boat captains have lately taken to boasting of all the big fish they're getting....when the truth is these big fish are few and far between....and IMO we are killing too many of them.....

But.,,,,you can't begrudge someone who wants to document and record their personal best, weigh it in, and maybe have a mount made of it.....

For many folks, a 50 used to be a fish of a lifetime....and to some it still is.....

Using that logic, a 70lb bass would be the fish of several lifetimes.....and you really have no right to criticize an angler for keeping one....it is truly a great achievement.......

And in this case, catching one, taking pics and measurements, and releasing it.....and to me exemplifies some of the highest levels of sportsmanship I have heard of recently.......

So congrats, Jim, and some well-deserved applause.....

Default Re: 70 lb bass caught and released in MoCo

IMO a rumor, no mention in Hook Line and Sinker must have slipped the writers mind about his friends accomplishment. Let's not forget about the 2 shops it was weighed at oh wait was a boga grip and released(oh wait they only go to 60#), no wait did the length and girth formula and released. Sounds fishy to me.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again