Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Review: Daiwa DSP and DSM - Pros and Cons.....

Default Review: Daiwa DSP and DSM - Pros and Cons.....

The Daiwa plug took the surfcasting industry by surprise.

Default Re: Review: Daiwa DSP and DSM - Pros and Cons.....

One minute it was relatively unknown.....

Then guys were catching fish with it, and blacking out the plug when posting the pics to keep it secret....

And eventually it got into mainstream use, and became so popular that some shops can't keep them in stock....

Based on the strong support for the Daiwa, I thought I wouild start a separate thread for it here......

A kind of review thread, where some of us....

talk about the SP and SM (smaller version),
    how it has added to our fishing,
    and any positive or negative comments you want to add for an honest review.....

Thanks for your opinions!

IMO bye bye bomber. better cast,better swim in rough water ,better catch .Lets not forget I tested the SP over 2 years ago and was one of the first to use a bomber when Joe of Stevens Bait abd Tackle was one of the first shops tp have bombers

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

I have fished it very little, couple bass on it. Casts great, incredible for that profile. Only con I could think of is that the hardware needs to be changed on it before using.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

forgot to mention like monty says the hardware needs to be up graded to #4HD split ring and 1/0 size 4x stong hook

Default Re: Review: Daiwa SP and SM - Pros and Cons.....

Yup. i think it was the best thing out there when herring were around. Bunker, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    forgot to mention like monty says the hardware needs to be up graded to #4HD split ring and 1/0 size 4x stong hook
    Thanks finchaser.

Good advice, Wondered if any body had advice using them when the water is dirty or rough? thanks

yes sir got fish on the orange belly one in the the river and when the PP canal was ripping no problem

I think it is killer for night time when the sand eels are around.

I pull it out when nothing else will work. Lets not forget loaded bombers too guys. They are actually better and it seems guys forgot all about them. The loaded bombers and needles were killer at IBSP for us last fall, much better than the sps.

We like to use it in the harbor and bays in MA when tinker mackerel are around. It matches the hatch perfectly.

I like them and they have been good for me around the inlets. The rattles rock. I upgraded my hooks though and stronger split rings.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieTuna View Post
    We like to use it in the harbor and bays in MA when tinker mackerel are around. It matches the hatch perfectly.
    Thanks for that Charlie. I didn't even think it would be good in a bay and thought you had to fish it in the surf. I will try it out in the fall when the bass go after the peanut bunkers and mullets.

Quote Originally Posted by porgy75 View Post
    Thanks for that Charlie. I didn't even think it would be good in a bay and thought you had to fish it in the surf. I will try it out in the fall when the bass go after the peanut bunkers and mullets.
    Plug works in the surf ,river or bay all season long

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Plug works in the surf ,river or bay all season long

Worked for me last night. It was the only thing they would hit!

There is a back of an inlet I fish when it is nasty out. Right before a noreaster. Incoming tide. These things are the ****. Like magic. Other times and places it is hit or miss for me.

Quote Originally Posted by williehookem View Post
    Like magic. Other times and places it is hit or miss for me.

I'm glad you mentioned that Willie....

Some guidelines of when I do and don't use it, based on...
    Swells, and Duration....

Swell size and ocean roughness.....

For me there are different factors that cause me to pull the Daiwa SM or SP out...but the one consistent factor lately, that has caused me to not fish it like I usually do...is the swell size.

This info is based on my experience, yours may differ....
    In an inlet, river, or bay area, the decisions may be different because the water is (generally) more stable, and the plug stays in a relatively small window in the water column.....

As the surf gets rougher, I have found that the Daiwa moves around too much. Of course, this depends on where you are fishing as well. For me, I have found other smaller plugs that work as well or better, but your presentation of them, as well as the Daiwa, is what will allow one angler to out-fish another, at times 2:1.

For me, generally speaking, I like the swell size to be 0-2' on nights when there is not a lof of bait around, and you have to hunt for the fish.

Any swells that are higher, and I will look for something that dives a little deeper and digs in better to the surf between the waves.

There is also something called duration, which I have also written an article about.
    Mid-period swell.
    Intermittent period swell.
    The faster the duration, (2-4 secs) the less likely I am to pull out the Daiwa and fish it...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    I
    For me, generally speaking, I like the swell size to be 0-2' on nights when there is not a lof of bait around, and you have to hunt for the fish.

Any swells that are higher, and I will look for something that dives a little deeper and digs in better to the surf between the waves.

There is also something called duration, which I have also written an article about.
    Mid-period swell.
    Intermittent period swell.
    The faster the duration, (2-4 secs) the less likely I am to pull out the Daiwa and fish it...
    I would also add that when mullet are moving through the surf, this is a great night time plug.

Any other thoughts?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast