Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Review: Daiwa DSP and DSM - Pros and Cons.....

Default Re: Review: Daiwa DSP and DSM - Pros and Cons.....

I like to give it a slow retrieve. If the surf is big I fish it sideways in the troth depending on whether the general current is coming from the north or the south. I like the action and the rattles. I always have one in my bag and it is the first plug I pull out.

Twitch it every now and then. When the water gets colder this will give you some nice fish. small one for when rainbait are around, the larger sp for mullet herring and peanut bunker.

The thing for me about this plug is the cast-ability (Is that a word?) You can toss it into windy conditions and you can't do that with a bomber.

They are SP and Ds minnows by Diawa there is no such thing as a DM minnow

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Thank you OGB.....

When I talk about the SP....there may be some confusion because my favorite of the 2, is the DSM, the smaller version.

I have had nights where fish were picky, especially when small rainfish and spearing are the primary forage. I would rather use this smaller plug for a lot of the fishing I do as it is shorter and more closely resembles small baitfish.

I still like the SP for when it's windier or you need to cast out further.

To add to this,,,,,

There has been a lot of bluefish action in the blitzes lately....
    Big bass are lazy and generally speaking......will follow behind the bigger blues looking for scraps......

ML Swimmers have been a good way to pick some of these bigger bass up....but in areas where there are multiple kinds of forage such as rainfish and spearing in addition to the bunker....some friends have been picking up stray bass...long after the blitz is over, by patiently casting with SPs....

Anyone else have any thoughts on the DSM...anyone out there using them besides me and some friends? Let's hear about it and any thoughts you have......

since i'm not always in your good graces I use the DS in the back.

This plug is the only thing some of the newer folks want to throw. I wonder if in 5 years from now there will be anyone fishing good old fashioned bombers and redfins.

Quote Originally Posted by BassBuddah View Post
    This plug is the only thing some of the newer folks want to throw. I wonder if in 5 years from now there will be anyone fishing good old fashioned bombers and redfins.
    And Mambo Minnows. I like to try to catch on "the not hot plug".
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by BassBuddah View Post
    I just bought 7 Redfins, and 5 more Bombers, I'm going to load a few Redfins, and Bombers.

The Hype on the internet is making everyone think the SP are the only game in town. I'm going to still throw the bag to see what the Bass wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    And Mambo Minnows. I like to try to catch on "the not hot plug".

You have always marched to the beat of a different drummer....I eagerly await your trip reports this Spring...

Is color important?
    many times I have fished a beat up mag darter or Daiwa SP (in the surf at night) just to prove a point, at times when there is no ambient lighting or the water is not crystal clear, the color is secondary to presentation....it's the fisherman who catches the fish, not the lure....guys who get hung up on all these special colors they have now, should read this carefully....

This is from the winter fishing thread...and shows one plug that I caught over 100 bass on.,...the plug is beat to crap and ugly as hell...(yes I know it needs new hooks)..but the fish didn't care...IMO in this specific case of fishing the surf at night, the presentation was more important than the color.

Post #31
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...g-Thread/page3

Some pics.... Attached Thumbnails

Quote Originally Posted by vpass View Post
    I just bought 7 Redfins, and 5 more Bombers, I'm going to load a few Redfins, and Bombers.

The Hype on the internet is making everyone think the SP are the only game in town. I'm going to still throw the bag to see what the Bass wants.

Great point Vpass....I think there is an upcoming thread on this soon....

Any other thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by vpass View Post

Old school cred.
    Me too. You cant tell what they want till you get out there for that evening.

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    Old school cred.
    Everyone knows it clams

^^^

Although SPs are admittedly one of the great products to come on the market in the last few years, they do have their limitations.....
    (I say this not to pick arguments with people, but only to share my experiences and what is working for me, right now)....I have fished side by side with groups of surfcasters throwing the SP, because someone told them the SP was a killer plug, and will outfish all others, in all conditions......but for the conditions we were fishing, the SPs did not produce

And I'm sorry, because although I love the SP, IMO no one plug will crush the fish in all situations....(just sharing my experience, here, again)

There are plenty of old timers who use redfins, or loaded redfins and outfish many of the other profiles....
    I don't know why they aren't more popular.....it seems in the angling community there is a continuous push for the next best thing.....

The one point to raise here, is that in the summer the fishing slows down.....,,many guys give up because with the small amounts of bass around it becomes more frustrating to target them,,,,so many assume they are just not there.....
    If you were to scuba or free dive you would see bass sitting near the bottom in certain areas......feeding on small bait, crabs, etc......
    A small bucktail is ideal for targeting them in these situations....

Again, every situation is different.....your choice of what you throw would be guided by the conditions and forage for where you are fishing.....
    However, it''s my experience, that when the fish are lower in the water column...the SP sometimes cannot reach that zone...and a loaded redfin or a small bucktail or rubber jig, will allow you to present to more fish, and increase your catches.......

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    Old school cred.
    Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Everyone knows its clams

Yep, that finchaser definitely has old-school credibility.....
    He's older than dirt......

As for credibility....and advice on clamming.....back in the early days...when he was in his 20s, just a young pup........his *** sat on a bucket clamming at the beach for so many hours at a time, that he had a permanent ring on it.....if you search in medical journals for the "finchaser ring" you will see a pic of the ring around his ***.

Quote Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
    Small and skinny bait is a good idea to use a small and skinny something or other to throw at the fish.
    When the mullet and bunker are big and thick I start useing bigger stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Most of the Bass I have caught this August have been on the 5 1/2" loaded Red Fin.
    Very Skinny

Very good points, guys.

The SP vs the SM......for Fall Fishing....
    First introduced to the public in Mid 2008 (Finchaser and friends were testing them in 2007)

Many of the threads out there have been about the SPs.....some like them because they are longer, a little heavier. You can get more distance from them and punch them out better if it's windy.

This video where I review and upgrade the Daiwa, is actually the DSM, the smaller one.

Have had a lot of success with that one with fish to the low 20# range.

To recap....
    DSM, or SM:
    4 1/3 to 5 1/4" long, weighing 4/9 to 2/3 oz...13F series said to be the most popular

DSP. or SP:
    6" long, and approx 1 1/4 oz...15F series said to be the most popular

However, for most of the year, when smaller bait is around, I'm partial to the Daiwa SM, or DSM as some refer to them.
    I'm upgrading the hooks and split rings, so that's no problem should I run into a bigger fish.
    What I like the best about it, is the small profile.....

Realistically, many baitfish in the back bays at this time are 2-4"....hence my preference for that small profile.

** Upgrading revisions.....
    1. Some of the best combos that work well for me are the VMC 1/0 4X hook, rear hook optional, depends on your preference. As noted if the hook is too big and you are only using one, it may throw off the balance and swimming action of the plug.

2. In the video I mention Wolverine split rings. Am still using them, but have come to see that the Rosco #4h are a little bigger and impede the action less, probably a better choice.

Some of you may be upgradiing differently, or using different combos. These are just my preferences and what works best for me.

Daiwa DSPM...the "15 S" Series, indicating suspending.....sometimes called the Daiwa Suspending minnow.....
    Official name and sizes....(listed in red at the bottom of the chart)
    http://www.daiwa.com/Lure/pop_ds_pro_minnow.aspx

In a nutshell, they are said to be similar to the DSPM, the "F" series, which are the floating ones that most refer to and buy from the shops....but are 1/8 oz more, and said to suspend.

This was developed in 2012, but is just now starting to be reviewed by anglers and surfcasters......and becoming available in local tackle shops...
    Might be a good addition to your Fall and early Winter lineup....

Just wondering if anyone is using them now, or has additional comments for this thread..

Suspending comments,
    different weight transfer..
    How you feel they swim......etc
    ..thanks...
    Last edited by DarkSkies; 09-28-2013 at 02:39 PM. Reason: fixed, the OGB sent the right links, thanks Ol Grouchy!

The information above in post 39 is wrong the DB is a 3 3/4 inch 1/3 ounce or 4 3/4 inch 1/2 ounce plug made for fresh water it is not an SP minnow

The new SP sinking is a 6" long 1.25 ounce true SP minnow available in all the same colors as the SP minnow which is 6" long and 1 1/9 ounces the SP stands for Salt Water Pro. They will be available within the next few weeks a few select shops have them. I have one and it casts a little further and swims a little deeper

http://www.daiwa.com/Lure/pop_ds_pro_minnow.aspx

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast