Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Review: Daiwa DSP and DSM - Pros and Cons.....

Thank you finchaser have not tossed one yet but have seen one. Not hating on you Daiwa fanatics out there. Don't see what the big deal is for 1/8 ounce more. If you want a deep or suspending plug the bomber windcheater is a good choice for about 1/2 the cost. Also the storm saltwater one is pretty decent.

I agree^^^ wouldn't buy the sinking and the small and large wincheaters in the green back are one of my favorites in the inlet and canal along with the shad rap x12 and x14 in ghost white

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Hope this helps with any Diawa minnow confusion.

Top - Diawa Salt Pro Minnow (DSPMF15) Weight: 1.11oz (1 1/9oz) Length: 6"

Middle - Diawa Salt Minnow (DSMF13) Weight: .66oz (2/3oz) Length: 5 1/4"

Bottom - Diawa Salt Minnow (DSMF11) Weight: .44oz (4/9oz) Length: 4 1/3"

I fished the SP Minnow a bit more this year.
    When I needed a long cast it really shined.
    Slow retrieve at night.
    Caught more bass on the loaded 5 1/2" Redfin this year.

Also used the Savage Prey Minnow, also casted great, swam deeper.

White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Awesome pics those are some really nice bass!

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    Hope this helps with any Diawa minnow confusion.

Top - Diawa Salt Pro Minnow (DSPMF15) Weight: 1.11oz (1 1/9oz) Length: 6"

Middle - Diawa Salt Minnow (DSMF13) Weight: .66oz (2/3oz) Length: 5 1/4"

Bottom - Diawa Salt Minnow (DSMF11) Weight: .44oz (4/9oz) Length: 4 1/3"

dude you seem very organized by the quality of your posts and the highlighting. Are you an engineer by chance? Or a college professor?

The thing that makes the sp so easy is it does all the work. You don't have to impart any action to it. With the older plugs there was a bit of finesse or twitching, or something else until you found out how the fish wanted it that night. The SP eliminates all the guesswork. Nacherlly all the up and coming anglers want to use it because it catches. monty I'm a loaded redfin fan myself. That's great for the whitebait we get in the bays. If I can't catch on that or bucktails I throw large.

[
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    The thing that makes the sp so easy is it does all the work. You don't have to impart any action to it. With the older plugs there was a bit of finesse or twitching, or something else until you found out how the fish wanted it that night. The SP eliminates all the guesswork. Nacherlly all the up and coming anglers want to use it because it catches. monty I'm a loaded redfin fan myself. That's great for the whitebait we get in the bays. If I can't catch on that or bucktails I throw large.
    So true even DARK catches fish on them

^^^^^ You guys shouldnt forget thzt he caught a lot of fish on clams and worms too back in the day. We used to dig for worms on every moon tide. He's a professional.

Quote Originally Posted by ledhead36 View Post
    ^^^^^ You guys shouldnt forget thzt he caught a lot of fish on clams and worms too back in the day. We used to dig for worms on every moon tide. He's a professional.
    Don't forget his bunkaaaaaa he was quite the master baiter as the story was told to me Even kept his sandwiches in the same cooler

pile on dark lol im in. Do you mean to say if there was a trophy for being a masterbater he would win?

Hey I'm in too! I'll kick in $10 if someone wants to send him a masterbator trophy, priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by plugcrazy View Post
    dude you seem very organized by the quality of your posts and the highlighting. Are you an engineer by chance? Or a college professor?
    No, lol.

I tend to dive into things and overdue it sometimes; everything has to be perfect. Some of my friends who know me well would define me as anal and paranoid. You should see me tie teasers....four hours later I have like three finished.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing the right way.

When I first met Dark and we were working together on a project I wanted to kill him (secretly). I'm trying to measure dry wall and he's yelling at me to hurry the #%?K up.

I had two days in September where the twitch of the SP in the backwash was the key to triggering the strike. Also caught a few bass on the DSM right at the beach lip on calmer days with the color shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    So true even DARK catches fish on them
    Don't forget his bunkaaaaaa he was quite the master baiter as the story was told to me Even kept his sandwiches in the same cooler
    Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post
    pile on dark lol im in. Do you mean to say if there was a trophy for being a masterbater he would win?
    Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
    Hey I'm in too! I'll kick in $10 if someone wants to send him a masterbator trophy, priceless.

I'm too busy to post for a few days and this is what I get....no respect....eff ya's all!
    Thanks for the laughs.

When I first met Dark and we were working together on a project I wanted to kill him (secretly). I'm trying to measure dry wall and he's yelling at me to hurry the #%?K up.
    That's no surprise, JB. I'm sure there are others in the fishing world who have felt the same way as you do, such is life.
    We had a project to finish and a lot of the guys were standing around bsing about fishing and how it used to be. I was probably guilty of that too, and when we finally got some momentum I wanted to see most of it get done in one day. There were about 20 guys there, we finished Jim's basement right quick.
    Work with ya again anytime.

To stand around and talk about fishing, or work, the choice is clear to me.

I agree^^^ wouldn't buy the sinking and the small and large wincheaters in the green back are one of my favorites in the inlet and canal along with the shad rap x12 and x14 in ghost white

I threw the sinking minnow twice this year didn't see what the big deal was about them. Windcheaters are good in the canal here as well.

Not that long ago Diawa went from the super cheap hooks to 2x VMC hooks.

To me this was very disappointing as I still have to throw these hooks away and replace with 4x.

Its sad that they can't follow the likes of Superstrike who after many years gave into their customers and started including 4x hooks.

Superstrike gets it. They listened to the feedback of their customers. You can toss those babies right out of the box and they swim well and won't lose fish. Diawa prob makes so much $$ from the SPs they dont care. They will make some changes but the bottom line is most smaller B&Ts sell the SPs quickly. With demand like that they don't have to try too hard for customer loyalty.

Your right hookset...and lets not forget Diawa is a huge international corporation with many different product lines. Superstrike is still family owned and does one thing only and they do it well!

Diawa is also coming out with a new sp minnow called the bullet.

"The Daiwa Salt Pro (SP) Minnow Bullet is a new lure from Daiwa specifically designed for striper bass fishing in the North East. The SP Bullet evolved from the SP Minnow, a super popular epic fish catching lure. The SP Bullet is a slender 6" lure just like the SP Minnow but the SP Bullet does not have a lip. The SP Bullet is part needlefish and part darter. This brand new design from Daiwa sinks level and has a tight "S" style swimming action. These Bullets are rigged right and ready to fish with a heavy 1.4mm through wire construction and 2/0 VMC Hooks right out of the package. Daiwa gave the SP Bullet the same internal long cast weight system that gives the SP Minnow its phenomenal casting ability. Even in windy conditions, the SP Bullet will live up to its name casting like a bullet!

The SP Bullet will be available in two models and 10 great colors: Sinking Model weighs in at 1-1/2 oz and the Fast Sinking Model weighs in at 2-1/8 oz."

The 1-1/2oz version will retail at $15.95 and the 2-1/8oz version at $16.95.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Diawa SP Minnow Bullet.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	4.8 KB 
ID:	18713

I asked a local Diawa rep if these VMC's were 4x and he said no 2x only for now. The other question is why they were doubling the price on these new plugs? The claim was because they had to make new molds...LOL So the old SP minnows didn't have to have molds made?

If you like the original SP Minnows I suggest you stock up now before they jack up the prices on them...its just a matter of time. Like every other affordable plug out there once they get a following the next thing these large corporations do is jack up the prices.

The 1-1/2oz version will retail at $15.95 and the 2-1/8oz version at $16.95.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Diawa SP Minnow Bullet.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	4.8 KB 
ID:	18713

I asked a local Diawa rep if these VMC's were 4x and he said no 2x only for now. The other question is why they were doubling the price on these new plugs? The claim was because they had to make new molds...LOL So the old SP minnows didn't have to have molds made?

If you like the original SP Minnows I suggest you stock up now before they jack up the prices on them...its just a matter of time. Like every other affordable plug out there once they get a following the next thing these large corporations do is jack up the prices.
    That's crazy! Almost the price for wooden plugs! These companies need to understand most of us are middle class and have to smuggle these purchases past our wives a little at a time. When yozuri made the prices of the magdarters $24 I stopped buying them. Someone might argue with me but there is no one plug out there that works in all situations. If these new daiwas are $16 I will not buy them. Boycott!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast