Thread: Power Pro Super 8 Slick Braid

Default Power Pro Super 8 Slick Braid

I have used it the last 8 trips to the surf and really like it.
    Using the 30 lb.
    Have used it on three rods no problems.
    Zero wind knots and I'm casting as far as ever.
    I had a rod I had been using that for some reason I was getting lots of wind knots when I used it.
    Used the same reel I had been using, the only difference was the Power Pro Super 8 Slick braid, no wind knots.
    I hate the other (original) Power Pro braid, this line is totally different.

Here is their spiel:
    Super 8 Slick is a super soft 8 carrier braided line. The combination of the 8 carrier diamond braid construction with PowerPro Enhanced Body Technology resulted in a braided line which is ultra round, smooth as silk and slick as a mono line.
    PowerPro Enhanced Body Technology compacts the line to avoid wind knots and digging into the spool. These advantages for the fisherman result in a line which is more quiet in casting, has increased casting distance and super smooth handling.

PowerPro Exclusive EBT (Enhanced Body Technology)
    Applies special coating closing the gap between yarns which makes the line ultra smooth and avoids windknots and line digging into the spool!

Also features:

Accurate and silent long-distance casting
    Excellent strength/diameter ratio enables you to fish even more sensitive
    Ultra round due to 8 yarn diamond braid construction
    Soft, slick and silent
    The perfect partner for your reels
    Available colours: Hi Viz Yellow - Timber Brown - Marine Blue - Aqua Green
    Available sizes: 0,15mm 10kg till 0,43mm 50kg
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Default Re: Power Pro Super 8 Slick Braid

I never liked the origional power pro,others loved it, I had less problems with Suffix.Since I have not fished I have no idea about the newer Suffix other than what I read.Sounds like it passed the Monty Marathon though lol.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    I never liked the origional power pro,others loved it, I had less problems with Suffix.Since I have not fished I have no idea about the newer Suffix other than what I read.Sounds like it passed the Monty Marathon though lol.

Same here with the Suffix, was my choice over the original Power Pro.
    I was really surprised with not having problems with the new line.
    Not sure on how long it will last (deterioration), but so far I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    .Sounds like it passed the Monty Marathon though lol.

Someone told me Monty was the Columbia Sportswear Gear tester before he got his current job?

ha ha funny! Thanks for that monty!

I have grown to hate power pro. however it is the only thing that some tackle shops push. T think they should offer you some alternatives. Might be a profit thing where they make more $$ on the PP. Thanks for the review, I might try it.
    How much more does it cost than the old PP monty?

I'd go back to mono before I'd use power pro, it's even worse since shimano bought the company

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    I'd go back to mono before I'd use power pro, it's even worse since shimano bought the company
    Seriously, don't hold back, how do you really feel?
    I hated the old stuff, this Super 8 Slick Braid has been good for me so far. Have seen a few reviews where this stuff is hated, others where its thought of as the best. Just like all the other lines out there, lots of opinions....but mono?

Quote Originally Posted by skinner View Post
    I have grown to hate power pro. however it is the only thing that some tackle shops push. T think they should offer you some alternatives. Might be a profit thing where they make more $$ on the PP. Thanks for the review, I might try it.
    How much more does it cost than the old PP monty?
    It costs 50% more. I have it on 2 reels and will see how it holds up. Its completely different than the original powerpro (softer, smoother). I had way to many mysterious line breaks with the original powerpro crap. Thought Suffix was much better, reliable, better casting.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Someone told me Monty was the Columbia Sportswear Gear tester before he got his current job?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Seriously, don't hold back, how do you really feel?
    I hated the old stuff, this Super 8 Slick Braid has been good for me so far. Have seen a few reviews where this stuff is hated, others where its thought of as the best. Just like all the other lines out there, lots of opinions....but mono?
    Haven't tried the new stuff it's 8 strand instead of 6 so it's rounder, but the old stuff had too many mystery break offs my new favorite is Fireline BRAID tracer . This is braid not regular fireline. Most of my reels are filled with Stren Sonic a;though a few have Suffix. As for mono P-line co polymer

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

I wondered why I kept getting those mystery break offs with powerpro. I thought it was the top guide but had it happen on more than one pole. Thanks for the info guys.

Power Pro Super 8 Slick Braid, So far thrilled with this line. Have used it on every trip since June. Since I started using it I have had 3 knots, instead of untangling them since its so slick I just pulled on both sides of the knot it it just undid itself. Zero mysterious breaks. Casting distance as good as ever. No complaints yet. Need to see how long it holds up and stays slick.

I just spooled up my surf rod with the same ...haven't taken it out yet ....
    I hope I have the same results monty