Thread: Surfcasting 201 - The Surfcasters' Bible....Artificial Only thread....

Hybrid View

Default Re: Surfcasting 201 - The Surfcasters' Bible....Artificial Only thread....

So I thought this thread could be Strictly about Surfcasting Tips for Using Artificials....
    and maybe the thoughts that go through your head when you are out there....

I have some things I may be posting here from time to time as I get a chance...
    For example, some may recall me saying "A good surfcaster...." as a preface to many of my reports, etc. As time permits I will try to search for them and post them here.....

In the meantime if any of you want to talk about what works for you when using artificials, and any general or specific suggestions about what you do to catch fish, feel free to jump in....thanks!

Default Re: Surfcasting 201 - The Surfcasters' Bible....Artificial Only thread....

Learn one beach at a time-
    I think one of the things you told me is to learn one beach at a time. I am amazed at the subtleties you get into, the level of detail in your thinking. Your advice to me the other night was spot on. I am beginning to think you can see them under water. And to think that way back when you were a googan who took 2 years to catch a keeper!

Don't be a superman with your casts. Sometimes the fish are right at your feet.

Thanks and good suggestions guys, keep em coming....

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    Learn one beach at a time-
    I think one of the things you told me is to learn one beach at a time. I am amazed at the subtleties you get into, the level of detail in your thinking. Your advice to me the other night was spot on. I am beginning to think you can see them under water.
    Steve, that's part of my problem, part of the addiction. I have gotten to know the places I fish like the back of my hand. I really have a sense of where they might be when I'm casting. There are times when I'm home at night, and the winds and the tides will be such that I feel the fish are calling me.. I'm compelled to be out there, whether I catch or not, because the conditions compel me to......

Once you get to that point, a good surfcaster looks to travel to different areas and apply what they have learned to these new places, making note of conditions that are similar and trying to see if the fish will be there as well.

How many times have you been out there, and praying for a fish?.....

"Lord Save me from the Skunk...."

It's 3am....
    you've been fishing all night....

Your body is soaked with sweat....
    Been hit by a few waves...each time reminding you how good it feels to be alive....and out there fishin......

You're casting, and casting.....
    Not a tap.........

You put in a Prayer to King Neptune....
    even that doesn't work....

So you say the words, out loud..or maybe you mutter them under your breath.....Lord, save me from the Skunk...."

You continue casting and casting....
    Some casts, you actually close your eyes,,,,trying to sense, when a fish may be near the end of your line......

And Finally..... you get that hit.....
    The one you've been waiting for, at the end of your line.....

Your Adrenalin pumps up.....
    The groggy half-asleep head on your shoulders shakes itself into action....
    Your fingers and arms, instinctively know what to do......
    Your hookset is solid.....
    and you have that one fish...that you asked for...to save you from the Skunk....

Amen, brother!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Your Adrenalin pumps up.....
    The groggy half-asleep head on your shoulders shakes itself into action....
    Your fingers and arms, instinctively know what to do......
    Your hookset is solid.....
    and you have that one fish...that you asked for...to save you from the Skunk....
    I hear you, know that feeling.

Learn to present the plugs properly,then learn when to use them and have a good understanding of why you chose them.Learn everything you can about a specific plug the how and why it is designed the way it is,if you do this presenting it will give you a head start to the learning game.You don't take a metal lip in a heavy heave and if you don't have current a darter is a waste of time leave it home etc.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    Learn to present the plugs properly,then learn when to use them and have a good understanding of why you chose them.Learn everything you can about a specific plug the how and why it is designed the way it is,if you do this presenting it will give you a head start to the learning game.You don't take a metal lip in a heavy heave and if you don't have current a darter is a waste of time leave it home etc.
    Spot on advice surfstix.