Thread: Surfcasting 201 - The Surfcasters' Bible....Artificial Only thread....

Hybrid View

Default Re: Surfcasting 201 - The Surfcasters' Bible....Artificial Only thread....

Thanks Monty!

Default Re: Surfcasting 201 - The Surfcasters' Bible....Artificial Only thread....

Rob read Skinners book and practice practice and practice some more. I nail some big fish every year bucktailing and if you ever hit montauk its all about the buck and pork or buck and grub. The thing to remember is if you are dragging on the sand it's too heavy. Getting caught in the rocks too heavy also. If you are not hitting bottom you are not in the zone either. Start out at a sandy beach with some current and work the current line. Once you get good at that you can graduate to the rocks and hard structure. Good luck

Practice is exactly what I need. Tonight I went out. was fishing with clams and bunker. I rigged one of my rods with a bucktail but I wasn't quite set up. I should have used my 9 foot rod but it was rigged with bait and in the water, so I used my 11' rod but ...well just not right. I did manage one 34 -1/2" striper though. Released to fight another day.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130522_183943.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	17043Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130522_183935.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	17044

oh and that striper was on clam not the bucktail.

Nicely done Rob and welcome aboard.

Don't know if this has been said before but check your knots every time.

If you are plugging an area and are getting no hits try varying your retrieve and maybe that will work. Try this before leaving for another spot. And nice fish Rob!

When you upgrade hooks on plugs balance is key. You want to use the same sizes if you want it to swim straight. You can usually go up one size before you have a problem. On some plugs I have switched to one treble, taking the back one off. When you do that you want to make sure the treble is not too big for the plug or it will ruin the action.