Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Surfcasting 201 - The Surfcasters' Bible....Artificial Only thread....

Yeah I have a feeling I know where you were I was there last night I don't know what the hell happened there but no structure one giant sandbar and you only get to work the plug about 10 ft. before your dragging it over the bar and with no drop off at the beach its a waste of time for me maybe better at the flood but the ebb may as well fish the bay side deeper water and more current.Btw the fish were there but between the bar blocking them from getting to the beach and the boats blowing through them it just scattered them and put them down.I'll be taking that place off my list for now time to head east a little more.The few spots that did have "funny water" the bait ******* had 6 rods set up this is when I'd love to see a school of blues come through and take a few rods away one guy 6 effin rods.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I fished the last few hours of out going and some of the incoming there. Maybe the exact opposite would be lot better. Was amazed at how far I could walk out on that bar. Seemed an enormous amount of sand there now, and there was a lot there before. Was my first time back there in months. Took a while just figuring out what happened. Got to one area that I had caught a few short bass earlier this year and made a cast, plug landed on land . I can't see *hit out there.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Yeah looks like a desert with a foot of water over it, structure is wiped out there.That beach used to be that big before all the dredging so I guess mother nature is putting it back.That little jetty does the job they need one on the other end off the point they wouldn't have to dredge anymore.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I fished the last few hours of out going and some of the incoming there. Maybe the exact opposite would be lot better. Was amazed at how far I could walk out on that bar. Seemed an enormous amount of sand there now, and there was a lot there before. Was my first time back there in months. Took a while just figuring out what happened. Got to one area that I had caught a few short bass earlier this year and made a cast, plug landed on land . I can't see *hit out there.

I think I know the area youre talking about. Has a huge bar. Will be good for when the sandeels show up. However word gets out quick and it will be like opening day of trout season. I remember one year there were guys spaced every 5 feet. Maybe 2010? Crazy stupid fishing brings everyone out of the woodwork.

I have a tip for fishing with diamond jigs. Don't know if it was mentioned in here before.
    When there is a lateral sweep to the current, some times I catch fish by tossing it out and working it laterally with the way the sweep is going.
    That works when the fish are sitting over the bar. You can also toss it out past the bar, and with the sandeels they will often hit it right before you come to the bar.If that doesn't work I try against the current. You never know where they will be from one day to the next so try different things.

Photo tip- This should be a no brainer since they covered over most of the jetties. You can't keep a bite quiet while posting clearly recognizable background pictures on the internet. So- don't do it. If you do it and your spot gets crowded, don't whine like a little girl in a post and ask why.

Agree 100%. And if you send pics out to a buddy that you barely know just to brag a little how do you know that he won't forward on to 10 of his buddies and then it magnfies. Before long you got 75 dudes shoulder to shoulder fishing a place where you only had it to yourself and a few buddies. Think before you send a pic out.

Instant share of pics and facebook has ruined the challenge of fishing that's for sure.

Tip for early spring - use small rubber to prospect an area for signs of life. If you don't get any action move on to the next place.

what he said^^^IMO only way to fly Also saves small fish from getting gut hooked by the snot slingers

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Never understood why they don't make circle hooks mandatory for the snot throwing crowd.

Match the hatch with your presentation
    There are places where it's only spearing and minnows. You throw a 5 or 6 inch shad you will catch. You will double your catching by just keeping it simple and using the basic fin-S. Too many fellas want to complicate things. KISS.

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    Tip for early spring - use small rubber to prospect an area for signs of life. If you don't get any action move on to the next place.
    Yes, and low and slow is the way to go.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234