Thread: Plug Length

Default Plug Length

So does adding the tied tail to the plug instead of a treble add 1 1/2 - 2 inches to the plug length?
    Does the size matter? Does the profile matter with the different hooks?

White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Default Re: Plug Length

I feel like this is one o those optical illusion trick questions, Monty....

I see the point you're making, though.
    For me, I would use the siwash bucktail on top.

When things seem slow and it gets harder to catch a fish. I rely heavily on those.
    That crappy looking mag darter I have been fishing, has such a bucktail on the end.
    Sometimes I don't know if it's the teaser that attracts them, or the plug, or the action I give to it...but I feel, for me and the type of fishing I do, it's important to cover all the bases like that when you have less fish around.

X2 monty, I'm liking the first one too. Are you having luck with the darter this time of year?

Quote Originally Posted by skinner View Post
    X2 monty, I'm liking the first one too. Are you having luck with the darter this time of year?
    Where I have been fishing the bait seems to be small and some skinny and some small and skinny. So no. I caught a few bass on a Choopy Darter last fall. Before that I really didn't like the plug (used the Super Strike a long time ago). I have a couple Tattoo Darters (above). I am attempting to learn how to fish them (present them properly).

What is the dot mark on the brown one on the top? Is that like a mark a bunker has or supposed to be something else. Nice plugs there monty.

you have to be careful with wood darters most loose there action with a non treble rear hook

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    What is the dot mark on the brown one on the top? Is that like a mark a bunker has or supposed to be something else. Nice plugs there monty.
    Bunker mark, came that way.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    you have to be careful with wood darters most loose there action with a non treble rear hook
    Thanks, I hate having a treble on the back.

I like trebles,,I have an idea that with a swimmer that has a lot of tailwagg it "jingles" as you work it on top,i have not used any type of underwater mic but,I believe it does give off a metallic sound.could be.
    I have some with dressed singles and some with plain singles,depends on what I have at the time.
    I want every hit to stick,,,

H-H
    Takes a Big Man to sling Big Wood,,,,boys sling plastic,,,,,,,

So this plug purchased has no tail hook (ignore the shoe or sneaker (whatever it is)). I added a dressed siwash to it and it swims ok....most of the time, some times not. Without the tail hook what are thoughts catching blue fish? Miss a lot? Short plug wont miss them? I try to stay away from trebles on the back....But am thinking that on the Darters a treble is the way to go to get a consistent plug action (per Finchasers post and from what I have been seeing as I fish them).

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    So this plug purchased has no tail hook (ignore the shoe or sneaker (whatever it is)).

Ohhhh, but I can't ignore the surf shoe Monty, it was counted as part of your catch that day....

And I think one of the members claimed it as lost property, didn't he?

All good, though I would not fish that darter without a rear hook, but that's just me....

If it had 2 hooks he probably would have had the person also

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

HaHa don't give him any ideas he might actually end up dragging a dead body in!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Ohhhh, but I can't ignore the surf shoe Monty, it was counted as part of your catch that day....
    And I think one of the members claimed it as lost property, didn't he?
    Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    HaHa don't give him any ideas he might actually end up dragging a dead body in!

Hey you never know what you might find out there. They found a few dead hookers on the Island last year. why not in the water? Be careful.

Where I have been fishing the bait seems to be small and some skinny and some small and skinny. So no. I caught a few bass on a Choopy Darter last fall. Before that I really didn't like the plug (used the Super Strike a long time ago). I have a couple Tattoo Darters (above). I am attempting to learn how to fish them (present them properly).

Small and skinny bait is a good idea to use a small and skinny something or other to throw at the fish.
    When the mullet and bunker are big and thick I start useing bigger stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
    Small and skinny bait is a good idea to use a small and skinny something or other to throw at the fish.
    When the mullet and bunker are big and thick I start useing bigger stuff.
    Most of the Bass I have caught this August have been on the 5 1/2" loaded Red Fin.
    Very Skinny

As a rule do you downsize your plug size in the summer according to the bait out there or do you mix it up with bigger plugs as well? thanks

Does the size matter?
    I really don't fish lures that much but if you're with a woman and she tells you "size doesn't matter" - that's an epic fail.

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    As a rule do you downsize your plug size in the summer according to the bait out there or do you mix it up with bigger plugs as well? thanks
    That's been my realization recently. Seems that the bait we find in Jersey is small. I think even blues target the smaller sized artificials. For me using teasers would double the catch at times.

I even think at times if I catch a fish on a certain popper or spook the fish is targeting the dressed tail, thinking its a small bait.

^ Monty is absolutely on the $$ about that dressed tail....there are some nights it's made the difference between catching and not catching...for me....
    I have some pics of bluefish hitting a popper with one of surfstix's teasers.......a bucktail siwash.....that teaser and the popper action made them mad as hell....it was great...will try to load them when I get a chance....