Thread: Greetings...

Default Greetings...

Hi everyone,
    I love the idea of fishing off a dock or boat.

Unfortunately, living in Northeast Queens, there ain't a lot of places to go fish so I usually go out to Captree state park and either fish off their dock or sometimes, spend the money and take a party boat. The problem with party boats is as soon as you start getting bites, they decide to move and take you someplace where there are no bites...!!! what is that all about?

I sometimes take the train out to Oyster Bay and fish near the marina as well as along the sea wall at the Teddy Roosevelt park. Bayside Marina is around the corner and they have a dock or pier, so to speak. My problem with docks is that I never catch anything, never.

I have a few friends with boats but they don't like the mess associated with fishing. So I'm stuck.

When I was young, about 10, my uncles took me to Hempstead Harbor where we would catch dozens of snappers, bring them home and fry them up - wow, what a good time! Can't go near that place now due to pollution.

I think that's where I caught the fishing bug.

Red.

Default Re: Greetings...

Welcome Red, There are lots of good people here. All with lots of knowledge and great fishing tips. Ask about the Jersey fishing and try to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by redvan View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I love the idea of fishing off a dock or boat.

Unfortunately, living in Northeast Queens, there ain't a lot of places to go fish so I usually go out to Captree state park and either fish off their dock or sometimes, spend the money and take a party boat. The problem with party boats is as soon as you start getting bites, they decide to move and take you someplace where there are no bites...!!! what is that all about?

I sometimes take the train out to Oyster Bay and fish near the marina as well as along the sea wall at the Teddy Roosevelt park. Bayside Marina is around the corner and they have a dock or pier, so to speak. My problem with docks is that I never catch anything, never.

I have a few friends with boats but they don't like the mess associated with fishing. So I'm stuck.

When I was young, about 10, my uncles took me to Hempstead Harbor where we would catch dozens of snappers, bring them home and fry them up - wow, what a good time! Can't go near that place now due to pollution.

I think that's where I caught the fishing bug.

Red.

Red welcome aboard!

Don't know ya, but your enthusiasm is refreshing....the words you wrote about Hempstead Harbor harken back to earlier days for sure.....

You said you lived in North Queens....Some thoughts.....

!. Jamaica Bay in the Spring is a world class fishery....
    Most guys think of the fishery as boat related, but there are plenty of places where you can reach big bass and monster blues from the shore...
    Queens, Inwood, Rockaways, Pumpkin Patch, the wall by Rockaway High....and of course, the bridges and access areas near them....Right around the 2nd week of April according to my logs....
    Contact me then and I'll take ya to some places we can wade to where we can catch early spring bluefish till our arms fall off....

2. Oyster Bay has a special value to me....I go up there when I can't catch fish anywhere else and get them from the kayak in that area...but as you may know shore access on the north shore is limited, and it doesnt seem fair that LI fishermen only have a few crappy piers to fish from and all that beautiful water.

3. Point Lookout is another place that comes to mind, pier relatively close to you?

4. How about Manhattan beach and the Rockaway Inlet....some of the biggest spring fish from land are caught from that area....and fall, as well.

5. Also how about the Canarsie Pier and Breezy Point areas,,,,we have some sitemembers who fish there all the time....Brasilva is one of them, he got over 300 bass and 600 bluefish from those areas last year....

Really liked hearing your earlier fishing memories,,,,welcome aboard and contact me anytime via PM if you need more specific intel on a bite.....

Hey Red welcome to Stripersandanglers!
    I don't know as much about long island fishing as dark and some others here but there are some good party boats out of captree. They will try to put you on the meat. Do you surf fish more, or fish on boats more? If you ever come to NJ and want to fish get in touch with dark myself or some of the other nutcases here, monty finchaser, etc. We all have a great time and love to fish. It is very slow right now because of the hot water but the fluking in the surf is ok.

Greetings Red, welcome.

Hi there and welcome!

Welcome redvan. Dark mentioned some great areas to fish. Do you fish all year around?

Hey red van welcome! I didn't know a lot when I came here and the guys helped a real lot. Look forward to your posts about fishing long island. Always wanted to go try it out over there.

Welcome S and A Red van
    Great group here, looking forward to your posts.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Howdy Red. The LI fishing this year would have been a lot better if Demo were open. Fish are there all year except for Dec to March.

Welcome redvan. That was a nice recipe for snapper bluefish you posted there.

Welcome to the show.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

welcome redvan.

Welcome to Stripers and Anglers, Red Van.

welcome!!