Thread: Long Island Snapper

Default Long Island Snapper

I recently caught my limit of Snappers up in Oyster Bay this past weekend ranging in length from 8.5" to 10", small I know but still tasty if you've had them before.

Anyone have ideas how to prepare them?

I've tried evoo with kosher salt and pepper then grilled, they were ok but a bit messy to get off the grill and were falling apart.

Red.

Default Re: Long Island Snapper

Redvan did you cook with foil? You said they were a bit messy to get off the grill. When I have small fish like that I wrap them in foil, drizzle with oil and lemon and some spicy rub, close the foil leaving it open just a tad and watch it like a hawk. A few minutes and it's done, the foil seals in the juices. Try that and see if you notice a difference.

You could also put a little mayo or Italian salad dressing in with the foil wrap, delish.

Redvan I second the dressing or mayo in the foil. The mayo takes the oiliness out of the bluefish. I dont know how or why because it is a fatty product. It does seem to work though.

Snappers wack the head finger gut them toss them in foil with EVOO or butter a little pepper,tarragon (easy on the tarragon)dill and paprika a slice of lemon won't give you such a lemony flavor as the squeezing the juice .The little guys are great, if they were bigger ones bleed them as soon as you catch them,fillet them(fresh) do the same as above and you can add some slices of tomato and onion and steam in the foil till it flakes off the skin.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.