Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ Fishing Reports for September 2012 www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Default NJ Fishing Reports for September 2012 www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    today 6 to 7:30 released 14 blues and 1 bass all on white bucktail and chartreuse tail. I was also mugged by DS, who fished down wind of me

You really don't understand the nuances of fishing until you fish with this old grouchy basstard. Normally he out-fishes us by 2:1...that morning it was more like 6:1....

My report...fished the ocean in the north for a few hours...
    Best I could do was one short bass and one dropped bass, on the SP (conditions are now prime for the SP, will talk about that later)

Not happy with these results, I went down (uninvited) and mugged that grouchy basstard.

We each managed a few small blues., but he dominated us all in numbers, and after everyone had left, just me and him still fishing, managed to pull the only bass of the day out of the salt.

Default Re: NJ Fishing Reports for August 2012..www.StripersAndAnglers.com

Fri night report -
    Fished the ocean for a few hours....prime conditions, but a noticable lack of bait where I was.
    Worked a few stops.
    Only one bump all night.

Went down to mug finchaser there...Tried an early morning run before the vacationers and swimmers got there.

No one was there, no fishermen, no finchaser, anyone, it was like your own private beach at that time.
    Fished for 1 1/2 hours, not a touch.

Time to go home, I'm feeling like the biggest loser for traveling an extra 50 miles to get into some bluefish, that weren't there....

Gave it a shot for 5 more minutes.
    Started catching.
    Landed 15 blues 4-8lbs...dropped at least twice that many.

The action was incredible and the aggressiveness was off the chart.
    These are all bluefish fresh from offshore...purple, yellowish sheen of the offshore fish.

I'll go into more detail when I get a chance...

I don't fish on holiday weekends,you should know that

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    I don't fish on holiday weekends,you should know that
    Really missed ya being there....
    It wasn't the same without your yelling and shouting insults at people....
    The word dillydock (copyright Russ Binns) wasn't mentioned once....
    And one of your posse came down after everyone called it a morning. He got the biggest bluefish he had had in 2 weeks, on a freaking tiny fluke rod....He was fighting it forever and I thought he would get spooled...he was happy....

Fished this morning 1:30 to 9:30 bay side. Picked up a spike Weakfish around 2:00 AM on a wood darter. Then around 4:30 a just short Fluke on a teaser. A few hits and misses, was a nice outing (no blood, no crowd where I fished). Water was very stained in the area I fished last, been that way for a good month+ now (at least when I'm there), algae maybe. Got some practice working wood darters in the light, hopefully will help in the dark.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Default NJ Fishing Reports for September 2012

NJ fishing reports for September 2012. ..www.StripersandAnglers.com

NJ fishing reports for September 2012...www.stripersandanglers.com

Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: No Spot Burning! Posts burning spots will be Edited or Deleted.
    Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
    Out Front (Ocean) OR -- Out Back (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
    More discussion on this:
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.

Some acronyms -

SH - Sandy Hook
    NoMoCo - Northern Monmouth County (below the hook to Shark River Inlet SRI)
    SoMoCo - Southern Monmouth County (below SRI to Manasquan Inlet)

OC - Ocean County
    IBSP - Island Beach State Park
    LBI - Long Beach Island

AC - Atlantic County
    AI - Absecon Inlet
    CISP - Corson's Inlet State Park
    CMC - Cape May County
    CMR - Cape May Rips
    GEI - Great Egg Inlet
    TI - Townsend's Inlet

RB - Raritan Bay
    BB - Barnegat Bay
    CB - Chesapeake Bay
    CBBT - Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel
    DB - Delaware Bay

Default Re: NJ Fishing Reports for September 2012

Fishinmission78,
    you won the plug in the August 2012 random drawing!
    PM me your address so I can send it out to ya!

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked!

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits, or something similar.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...splay.php?f=83

Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site!

Pebbles had off today and she hasn't been fishing with me in a long time. We set out on the hunt to try and find some back bay bluefish action for her.

We got to one promising area and started throwing rubber. Within a half-hour there were blues crashing bait on the surface. It became apparent plugs would get more fish so we switched over. It looked to me like it was pure peanuts flying into the air, running for their lives....another fisherman there said it was mullet....whatever it was, 3-5", it wasn't a good day to be a bait fish as hundreds of blues crashed them and chased them back and forth across the water.

Since there was only one type of forage and there were so many of them, it was tricky to tempt them with artificials....but if you kept casting you eventually hooked into em.....

The activity was fantastic, lasting for around 1 1/2 hours.Fish busting all over the surface, dozens at a time, savagely attacking the bait.
    The catching part was just average, but still a great way spend an overcast morning where it was impossible to fish the ocean.....

Pebbles out-fished me 2:1...catching and releasing 8 blues to 6#.
    Chartreuse and bright color plugs worked the best.

We had action from several more. The challenge was to get them interested in the artificial, timing the cast as they were blowing up on the surface.
    I did lose some time helping her land and release, but the girl can catch, and needed no help at all in that Dept.

We both had a blast. Great way to spend a few early morning hours on Labor Day.

Highlight of the day.....
    A Dad and 4 boys with him, fishing hard, helping them get fish, and unhooking and taking pics of each boy and his fish. Despite those interruptions, this Dad and his boys out-fished all there. I think they said they got over 2 dozen.....

These days the younger generation seems to be turning away from fishing.
    There are countless studies out there, calculating the value of fishing each fisherman brings to a local economy....

I would say that based on the smiles those boys had on their faces, and the hoots and hollering, that each bluefish they caught today...was priceless....These kids were the true champions today...great to see them getting into it and the enthusiasm......

Congrats to that Dad and his boys on a great morning, and all working together and having a blast.

Great reports guys! I got skunked today. Went to moco this morning and it was like a washing machine. Tried fluking with gulp and bucktail. I used a 2 ounce and got knocked all over and gave up after an hour. Good catches.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    I did lose some time helping her land and release, but the girl can catch, and needed no help at all in that Dept.

A Dad and 4 boys with him, fishing hard, helping them get fish, and unhooking and taking pics of each boy and his fish. Despite those interruptions, this Dad and his boys out-fished all there. I think they said they got over 2 dozen.....

There are countless studies out there, calculating the value of fishing each fisherman brings to a local economy....

I would say that based on the smiles those boys had on their faces, and the hoots and hollering, that each bluefish they caught today...was priceless....These kids were the true champions today...great to see them getting into it and the enthusiasm......

Congrats to that Dad and his boys on a great morning, and all working together and having a blast.

2 best paragraphs in the report right there! Kudos to you guys. I saw it raining and figured it would be worse at the shore, didn't go.

ha ha ds got outfsihed by a girl, lol! we were out last night around high tide, threw peanuts we netted in the harbor. we got 3 weakfish all short, 1 blue about 28" and 4 stripers the biggest one was 28 1/2". fished from 7 to 1 in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Pebbles had off today and she hasn't been fishing with me in a long time. We set out on the hunt to try and find some back bay bluefish action for her.

We got to one promising area and started throwing rubber. Within a half-hour there were blues crashing bait on the surface. It became apparent plugs would get more fish so we switched over. It looked to me like it was pure peanuts flying into the air, running for their lives....another fisherman there said it was mullet....whatever it was, 3-5", it wasn't a good day to be a bait fish as hundreds of blues crashed them and chased them back and forth across the water.

Since there was only one type of forage and there were so many of them, it was tricky to tempt them with artificials....but if you kept casting you eventually hooked into em.....

The activity was fantastic, lasting for around 1 1/2 hours.Fish busting all over the surface, dozens at a time, savagely attacking the bait.
    The catching part was just average, but still a great way spend an overcast morning where it was impossible to fish the ocean.....

We had action from several more. The challenge was to get them interested in the artificial, timing the cast as they were blowing up on the surface.

Dad fishing with kids doesn't get any better than that, I agree. Glad you and the missus got fish too dark. I bet you have a spot for every weather condition. Good deal.

Default Re: NJ Fishing Reports for September 2012 www.StripersAndAnglers.com

way to go on the fish ds and i am glad to see pebbles haveing a good time fishing and out with u

fished the hook this morning .water was rough had a hard time holding bottom.got 1small fluke 3sea robins on peanut bunker.

Fished the bay last nite it was brown like coffee. Ons short bass and some weakies on peanut bunker.

Hey guys at least you are catching congrats! Looks like peanut bunker is the way to go to at least get some fish now.

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    dark. I bet you have a spot for every weather condition. Good deal.
    My spots weren't so great last night Steve....

I fished the ocean for 3 hours, a few stops, big surf., "long period swell" (search this site for "groundswells and other terms"....)
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...t=groundswells

The conditions where I was pushed me to throw bucktails, not a tap.
    I was so tired from all the running around at the end I probably lost 5lbs...was covered in sweat and the stench of skunk....

Tried to redeem myself looking for back bay bluefish in the pre-dawn hour...downsized the bucktaill to a lighter one. Only raised one fish as I was absentmindedly reeling in and it was just at the surface.....that was all the action I could manage for all those hours...

So sometimes, even if you have your fishing all planned out like a drill sergeant...the fish just ain't there in numbers (if you want to throw artificials)

The water is still warm, ocean has gone back up to 75 degrees. Bait guys are catching fish...but not me....last night was humbling.....

Hey, that's fishing....

First night trip since May, SNJ looking for the weakies, Wind was more then called for and was an issue, could get small offerings down. But i managed to miss two real early that gave me some confidence, then i finally got one, made a short move and saw one smaking bait on surface got em and it was a nice one around 5lbs on a penny shrimp. turned out to be only one in this small hole . I lost them until 2 moves later on the outgoing tide then found a thick school gobbling peanuts. Hard to get more then light love taps and they only reacted to Shrimps. I landed a few saw a few nice ones and dropped about 15 due to the light hits. I thought i hooked a real nice one that turned out to be a 6lb bass. Good to see them back.

5lb weakie great catch sharkhart. Good to hear the penny shrimp was working. I was beginning to think the only way to get them was with peanut bunker.

Real nice report Sharkhart. Congrats on a nice Weakie and Striper.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast