Thread: Bluefish....The New NJ State Gamefish?

Hybrid View

Default Re: Bluefish....The New NJ State Gamefish?

1.Just wondering if you folks out there would still fish...if there was a Striped Bass Moratorium...?
    2. Would you fish for bluefish and be happy with that?
    3. What do you think are the chances of that happening?

1. Yes, I’d still plug. I hardly catch any Bass lately anyways. I would still enjoy the attempt, the personal satisfaction of just being there. I have found it to be good therapy for the mind, soul and general attitude, yes, I would still fish.

2. I’d plug for downtown blues, mostly on top. Their explosions make me smile outwardly. I’d be semi happy as opposed to overwelmingly happy. Smaller blues would bring out the hookless Atom poppers and old metals, the excitement, for me, would be less.

3. Striped Bass Moratorium – I see the pressure on this fish growing more and more with each passing year. More and more keepers being walked off the beach. The pressure from the comms/fish markets/resturants will only increase in the future, they want a share, for money’s sake. Depends on who represents them, (in the political sector) in order to override game fish status, if possible. Just my thoughts/opinions, right/wrong, who knows.

dude i will fish for bluefish any day or night they rock! and if they tell us we cant fish i will tell them to go eff themselves!

Quote Originally Posted by surfwalker View Post
    1.Just wondering if you folks out there would still fish...if there was a Striped Bass Moratorium...?
    2. Would you fish for bluefish and be happy with that?
    3. What do you think are the chances of that happening?

1. Yes, I’d still plug. I hardly catch any Bass lately anyways. I would still enjoy the attempt, the personal satisfaction of just being there. I have found it to be good therapy for the mind, soul and general attitude, yes, I would still fish.

2. I’d plug for downtown blues, mostly on top. Their explosions make me smile outwardly. I’d be semi happy as opposed to overwelmingly happy. Smaller blues would bring out the hookless Atom poppers and old metals, the excitement, for me, would be less.

3. Striped Bass Moratorium – I see the pressure on this fish growing more and more with each passing year. More and more keepers being walked off the beach. The pressure from the comms/fish markets/resturants will only increase in the future, they want a share, for money’s sake. Depends on who represents them, (in the political sector) in order to override game fish status, if possible. Just my thoughts/opinions, right/wrong, who knows.
    surfwalker:
    1. I would still fish. Honestly if there were not a lot of stripers I might give up.
    2. The blues if they were there could fill the void.
    3. I don't know what the chances of that happening because I have not seen the moratorium to compare it to. what do you think?

btw, is anyone seeing big blues lately? been reading a lot of reports of small blues and the bigger ones in the deeper waters of the bay. Did the monsters skip NJ entirely this year?

Quote Originally Posted by lostatsea View Post
    btw, is anyone seeing big blues lately? been reading a lot of reports of small blues and the bigger ones in the deeper waters of the bay. Did the monsters skip NJ entirely this year?
    lostatsea, it has been hit and miss. Last nite it was hit. Big blues all on meat, chunks. Bayshore area. The bunker came in and the blues after them. Only fished one rod cause if you fished more than that you would of lost it. Big gators, 10 lbs and up. Holy crap I went through so many rigs I had to take a break and tie some more.

Love to fish, and just love to be out there. Back in the 80's that's all there was. The only problem is that I'm not crazy about eating them. If I was I would still be eating bluefish from the 80's!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
    Love to fish, and just love to be out there. Back in the 80's that's all there was. The only problem is that I'm not crazy about eating them. If I was I would still be eating bluefish from the 80's!
    It is good to hear from someone who remembers what fishing was like back in the 80s MikeO. I love fishing for bluefish as well. The grandkids do too.