Thread: Whales in NJ.....

Hybrid View

Yes, it would be a good "feel good story" to save him (not a lot of that lately.
    Quote Originally Posted by gjb1969 View Post
    i hope they save him it would be a shame if he dies its a strange thing that u dont see all the time i hope hes ok
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

so true we need some feel good stuff

I'm on the fence about this. What about when they save the beached whales, and they beach themselves again? How far is this manatee from home, like 1500 miles? What could have possibly interested it in the backwaters of NJ to swim into the muck at Linden?

I still think they should save it. Just my .02.

I may be mistaken, but i thought this one has traveled up and down the coast before.
    May have mistakenly taken a right turn on the way home (I do that often).

Quote Originally Posted by VSdreams View Post
    I'm on the fence about this. What about when they save the beached whales, and they beach themselves again? How far is this manatee from home, like 1500 miles? What could have possibly interested it in the backwaters of NJ to swim into the muck at Linden?
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Looks like they lost him.

Posted: Monday, 19 October 2009 12:51PM

Wildlife Officials Say Manatee Hanging Around NJ Has Disappeared

by KYW's Karin Phillips
    That "lost" manatee off the coast of North Jersey is really lost now. Wildlife officials says the sea cow has disappeared and may be headed south on its own.

We get a lot of manatees in this area each summer -- they travel up the east coast and usually get back to Florida before it gets cold.
    But Chuck Underwood, with the US Fish and Wildlife Service office in Jacksonville, Fla., says that wildlife agencies all along the east coast have been alerted about the missing manatee, last seen in a tributary in northern New Jersey last Friday (see related story).

It's now hoped that the manatee is on its way south on its own, but Underwood says they don't want to take the chance that it hasn't gotten lost again.

Underwood says anyone who thinks they see the manatee should call their nearest wildlife agency:
    "The big thing we would ask people to do is, while we do have plans in place to rescue the animal, we ask you only to report the animal's location. Don't try to do anything to corral the animal or track the animal in any way -- just report the sighting."
    In South Jersey, the number to call would be that of the Marine Mammal Stranding Center: 609-266-0538.