Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plastic swimmers: Differences, what works when

Default Plastic swimmers: Differences, what works when

Thought maybe a thread on the differences in plastic plugs might be interesting.
    Maybe a few examples/experiences.

For me:
    Magdarters have been more productive in moving or turbulent water than other plastics (my most productive plastic).
    Usually use a mixed retrieve, little rod tip action.

Loaded redfins (smaller size) have been more productive in calm water than any plastic, but also have produced in white water (bone color).

Used to use Javelins, they casted better than bombers and swam a bit deeper than bombers if I remember correctly.

I'm not big on Bombers, just never really enjoyed fishing them.

SP Minnow, have not fished it a lot, a couple Bass this year in moving water. Casts great.

Anyone have experience with Megabaits? Just picked up my first.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Default Re: Plastic swimmers: Differences, what works when

Mega baits J110 are 5' and 7/8 ounce they cast great and catch fish even better down to my last 12

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Mega Bait and the Mambo Minnow were 2 of the favorites of the Old Farts Fishing Club (OFFC). They even considered calling themselves the Mambo Minnow fishing club, until I convinced them the OFFC name was cooler.

The thing thay makes some of these work, IMO, is the rattle some of them have, and the small profile.

Even though Fin says he is not a profile fisherman, I'm gonna be the contrarian and say sometimes when the fish are scattered or picky, it really has mattered, to me. For example, these big bluefish at night that we are targeting. They do not seem to want to hit 7" plugs when the primary forage is small bait. 4-5" gets the most attention.

I still like bombers though I feel they have dropped in popularity. When I'm fishing rocks or inlet areas I always have it in my head that what I'm throwing might be donated to those rocks. A bomber is a lot cheaper to lose, and I still fish them religiously. If you look at them swimming in the water they have a good wiggle in current.

When they work.....

The SP has been touted as a plug that will make the fish jump out of the water and land on the shore in front of ya.
    I lot of guys are tellling me they now won't fish anything else.

I think that is somewhat short-sighted, though....
    In rough water, for example, I have done much better with the Mag Darter in side by side comparisons.

I feel that in rough water, where the swell is big, the Mag darter is easier to keep in the strike zon for longer periods than the SP.

Of course, that's just my experience.
    Guys who plug fast moving current like the Rips in NJ., or the Mass Canal, swear by the SP.
    In those conditions I would agree, but not if the swell is bigger than 3', in my experience. (and the fish are scattered)....if there are a lot of fish around there are many things you can throw to them with success.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Used to use Javelins, they casted better than bombers and swam a bit deeper than bombers if I remember correctly.

Are you talking about Javelins, or Mavericks?

If it's Javelins, Fin has a story he might want to share here. Ask him....

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    When they work.....

The SP has been touted as a plug that will make the fish jump out of the water and land on the shore in front of ya.
    I lot of guys are tellling me they now won't fish anything else.

I hope you don't classify me as one of those, dark. I love the SP and have done well with it this year. As you said I don't think it works good in a pounding surf. I feel the magdarter is good, or any darter for that matter when the bunker are in.

Monty I use loaded redfins and loaded plugs a lot more when the sandeels are here.

I like the older redfins. They are slim for when small bait is around. Great movement in the water. Good for when the fish are picky as well.

For me:
    Magdarters have been more productive in moving or turbulent water than other plastics (my most productive plastic).
    Usually use a mixed retrieve, little rod tip action.
    Yes, that works. Also, I use megabaits around the end of the season. If the sandeels are thick I will throw the small rubber eels or avas. If not megabait is killer, toss it out and slow retrieve. end of day when the morning is colder is a good time.

Are you talking about Javelins, or Mavericks?
    If it's Javelins, Fin has a story he might want to share here. Ask him....
    Definitely Javelins, when I first started fishing in salty water I used them instead of bombers because they casted much further and could "feel" them better.
    I life Fins stories, how bout it Finchaser?

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    I hope you don't classify me as one of those, dark. I love the SP and have done well with it this year. As you said I don't think it works good in a pounding surf. I feel the magdarter is good, or any darter for that matter when the bunker are in.
    Monty I use loaded redfins and loaded plugs a lot more when the sandeels are here.
    I noticed the Redfins produced a lot more for me in the fall/late fall last few years when the sand eels were around. I have also caught with them in the bay when small bait was around just after sun up when other plugs/metal/rubber did didlie.

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    Yes, that works. Also, I use megabaits around the end of the season. If the sandeels are thick I will throw the small rubber eels or avas. If not megabait is killer, toss it out and slow retrieve. end of day when the morning is colder is a good time.
    I'm going to throw it a little this week.

Definitely Javelins, when I first started fishing in salty water I used them instead of bombers because they casted much further and could "feel" them better.
    I life Fins stories, how bout it Finchaser?
    PM him and ask him to answer if he doesn't see this....the old grouchy basstid is grouchier than usual this week...I'm kinda feeling that way as well., until we start seeing more fish......

Plastics-they're in the bag, used sometimes. Rebel 4" & 5 1/2", calm water, favorable breeze. Casted parallel to beach/in the trough. 7" Rebel sinker(or simulars), heavier action water and current, good sweeps. Bombers/Redfins- mostly calmer water, decent sweep. There's plenty of others, they are tried, but not overworked. The water activity will dictate their use, or not.

Anyone know who made/makes the top lure?
    Caught a small bass with it earlier this week (and of course also missed one), can't remember where I got it from.
    The bottom is a red fin.

mambo minnow

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    mambo minnow
    Thank you Finchaser, was my first time using a Mambo. They still made?.

^ You can get them on ebay, guy. here you go. I like them and the mega-bait when the small bait is around. I think the mega baits are harder to get though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Gags-Grabb...-/261046419934

This is some advice I gave the other day.....

I was doing OK on the x-rap in the Winter when the herring were around. I found other plugs to be better when the fish were on top, but on nights where the swell was big and the surf was nasty with a fast duration, IMO something that stays on top is not really in the strike zone long enough to pass where the fish are.

On those nights, when a bottle plug or NB bottle darter didn't work, I always had an x-rap with me.....Sometimes I would have to throw that one plug for 1-2 hours, just blind casting, but it did pay off with mid teen to bigger fish.

The beginning of the mullet run, the mullet were smaller, and a better profile to match that has been the SP.

However, some of ya's may have noticed that while there are not a lot of mullet left, the ones left behind tend to be bigger...7" up to corncob size...

I would say if you are out in the next few days,,,bring that X-Rap plug with you.
    It's something you have to believe in, as often it seems futile, casting and casting....but now that the migratory fish are starting to show up, this plug is a great choice in rough surf, or when you are fishing current and the fish do not seem to be feeding on top, or visible.

Quote Originally Posted by 7deadlyplugs View Post
    ^ You can get them on ebay, guy. here you go. I like them and the mega-bait when the small bait is around. I think the mega baits are harder to get though.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Gags-Grabb...-/261046419934
    Thanks 7DP, the Mambo saved me from the skunk today again.

I would say if you are out in the next few days,,,bring that X-Rap plug with you.
    It's something you have to believe in, as often it seems futile, casting and casting....but now that the migratory fish are starting to show up, this plug is a great choice in rough surf, or when you are fishing current and the fish do not seem to be feeding on top, or visible.
    That believing thing is not easy...(its like what came first, the chicken or the egg (believing in something without success)....not sure that's a good comparison). I threw one a little this past week and will continue to at the very least carry one.

As the water gets colder this time of year, now is the time to downsize the size of the plugs you are throwing.....
    Excellent suggestion for the mambo minnow...people.......

Others....although they are PITA to throw, the jointed swimmers can provoke a hit from a sluggish bass....and have saved me from many a night when they were the only thing that got results after hours of casting.......

These are some of the downsized swimmers a few friends are throwing....note the heavy duty split rings and upgraded hooks......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP2651.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	15860Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP2652.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	15861

Any other thoughts?

I gather from reading this that when the water is cold you want to downsize. What are some of the smallest sizes you guys have been throwing early spring?

Quote Originally Posted by surferman View Post
    I gather from reading this that when the water is cold you want to downsize. What are some of the smallest sizes you guys have been throwing early spring?
    I'll start fishing in a week or two (as long as winter actually ends), these plastics will be in my surf bag.
    Seems that the the first fish I catch each year are on teasers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast