Thread: Plug reflectivity

Default Plug reflectivity

What part does reflectivity play in selection of plugs, if any?
    These are three plugs Rip Plugger made.
    I put the epoxy/glitter on the three, (painted the white and gold one).
    I really like the reflectivity in the glitter on these plugs. A lot.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3160003AA.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	10464

Name:	P3160003AAB.jpg 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	10465

Name:	P3160008AA.jpg 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	10466

Name:	P3160015AA.jpg 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	10467

Name:	P3160021AA.jpg 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	10468
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

IMO in the dark none

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

I don't know what it does to be honest. I put it on some of my stuff just because it looks neat.
    I go with the Martha Stewart Glitter. Very fine so it mixes well into the epoxy and just picks up the light. I like the white and red.

The blue fish love it.At night unless you have a full moon probably not much.I don't use glitter just mix some pearl paint w/ the color I am using either gold,silver or pearl wht. sometimes a bronze color.The bass don't use sight until the final attack they use their other senses either smell or vibrations through their lateral lines.

I always put some type of reflextive material on a plug if I can.
    Krystal flash on a tail hook, glitter on a plug. When any light hits it, will get some type of reflection (bright), i would think. Kinda like a chrome metal lure.
    In the dark, moon light or other area lighting in certain areas I would think would impart some type of light reflectiveness.
    Always trying to increase the odds of getting a strike.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Default favorite plugs

This has to do with Galveston but I thought the Lures might be good for you guys to see what they like.

Fishing pros vote on their favorite lures

By Joe Kent

Correspondent

Published March 9, 2010

Monday was another of those days not to be on the water. Strong wind and cold rain, enough said! Unfortunately, it appears the long-range weather forecasts predicting extended winter weather for Galveston are proving to be accurate.

One of the most frequently asked questions by readers is “what are the best lures to use in Galveston Bay”? With the lack of fishermen on the water Monday and my inability to receive e-mailed fishing reports due to a virus attack on my computer, this would be a good time to address that question.

Rather than give my opinion on the best inshore lures, I took a poll of several of the top guides in the Galveston Bay complex along with other fishing professionals. I asked them for their preferences on hardware or hard plastic lures as opposed to soft plastics.

By far the No. 1 choice by a majority of this group was the Corkie, which is a hybrid between a hard and soft plastic lure.

Although this lure was the winner, don’t expect to find any for sale at local tackle shops. The manufacturer recently was acquired by another bait company, and modifications in manufacturing equipment were needed to start production.

I have not had an update on when they will be back on the market; however, I was told it would be early this year.

Below are other recommendations by the group polled.

Capt. Paul Marcallio likes Baby Super Spooks and She Pups. He said smaller baits have caught bigger fish in years past, and his favorite colors are chartreuse, black and chrome.

Steven Soule’s choice is the 51 Series Mirrolure. The 51 Series is best for wading and the 52 Series for drift fishing. Soule does much of his fishing wading and also is a big fan of top water lures.

Capt. Mike Williams has seven favorites and all are Mirrolures. He calls them the magnificent seven. They are the 51 Series and are respectively called the Tahiti Sunrise, Woody, Trophy Trout Killer, Legendary Classic, North Cross, Widow Maker and Texas Chicken.

Capt. Steve Hillman likes pink Skitterwalks, chartreuse/pearl She Dogs, chrome/blue Super Spooks and Mirrolure 52MR28, 20MR19 and Catch 2000 series.

Capt. Chris Howard is also a big Mirrolure fan. His favorites are the 52MR, Catch 2000 and Catch 5. The Catch 5 is a killer in the surf, according to Howard. His other choices are the Rapala Twitch Rap, She Dogs and Skitterwalks.

Not mentioned by the guides, and popular this time of year when glass minnows are plentiful, are speck rigs. Although not really considered hard plastics, the small lead head jig tandem is outstanding for reds and trout working schools of glass minnows. White seems to be the preferred color.

Hopefully, we will have some fishing reports to pass on in Wednesday’s Reel Report.

http://galvestondailynews.com/story....2b1771d8216a17

Default Re: Plug reflectivity

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    The blue fish love it.At night unless you have a full moon probably not much.I don't use glitter just mix some pearl paint w/ the color I am using either gold,silver or pearl wht. sometimes a bronze color.The bass don't use sight until the final attack they use their other senses either smell or vibrations through their lateral lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    I always put some type of reflextive material on a plug if I can.
    Krystal flash on a tail hook, glitter on a plug. When any light hits it, will get some type of reflection (bright), i would think. Kinda like a chrome metal lure.
    In the dark, moon light or other area lighting in certain areas I would think would impart some type of light reflectiveness.
    Always trying to increase the odds of getting a strike.

Agree with surfstix. Its not the glitter so much its the shading that works for me. That means when the water is dirty I'm using yellow white or chartreuse as opposed to darker plugs. Sometimes it helps sometimes it doesnt.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    IMO in the dark none
    Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    Agree with surfstix. Its not the glitter so much its the shading that works for me. That means when the water is dirty I'm using yellow white or chartreuse as opposed to darker plugs. Sometimes it helps sometimes it doesnt.
    Agree with both.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    IMO in the dark none
    Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post

Agreed finchaser. Also agree with surfstix on the full moon white. Sometimes when its dark out with the new moon white plugs like the bone colored SP also work for me. I thought black plugs for dark conditions and light plugs for lighter full moon.
    Does anyone have any idea why light colored plugs would work during a black night?

It's more likely the movement/profile of the the plug they are reacting to rather then the color at night they are much less cautious feeding at night then during the day.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

well,in the dark there is not much more than starlight so with respect to that,the less light there is the less there can be any reflectivity.
    last week on the new moon I caught 2 bass on a creek chub giant pikie that is a Rudolph and then one on my yellow rip splitter down deep.
    I really don't try to use a plug because of color but, because of profile and weather it is a deeper swimmer or surface swim depends on where I'm going to fish.

Name:	H-H PlugWerx INC 383.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	19040Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H-H PlugWerx INC 384.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	19041
    I chose these 2 because out in the rips there are 2 humps that rise up from 25-30 feet to 12-18 feet,the pikie will go down about 15 feet when drifted waay out and reeled back against the current slowly in that area.
    also my fatcats will dig down when used the same way,other wise they will swim on top slow rolled.
    the fish hang in between the humps when they are there.

R-P
    Takes a Big Man to sling Big Wood,,,,boys sling plastic,,,,,,,

Name:	IMG_20141021_184811774.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	19042started making some with glitter .....just to reproduce the silver in a sand eel ....I believe the plug has to be in the right place at the right time ....luck ...skill is getting it to the beach

Nice Matt your needles are great when the wind is cranking.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.