Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stripers And Anglers Most Unusual Catch Awards!

Awesome stories. You never know what you might get when you're out there. Found this on youtube a guy got a sturgeon from the surf.

Awesome!

Very cool catch congrats to the angler.

Wow that's the first I ever heard of one caught from the beach. Thanks for sharing.

How about this. A cubera snapper at island beach. 25lbs. great catch dude.
    http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2...l#incart_river

Check this out, guy caught a Cobial yesterday in the back of Raritan Bay on a bunker chunk! Cobia!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1531702977060.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	21536

Wow! Nice one!

Capt Al Ristori got a large sheepshead up in the raritan bay.

[COLOR=rgba(153, 153, 153, 0.75)]AUGUST 6, 2018[/COLOR]
    A once in a lifetime catch — again!

Just last week I wrote a blog noting the lack of southern species showing up to the north so far this season, but I’ll have to take that opinion back after fishing Sunday morning with Chuck Many of Annandale on his Ty Man from Gateway Marina in Highlands.
    We were drifting sandworms at the mouth of the Hudson River for school stripers and weakfish and trying to work through bait-stealing porgies when I hooked a fish that fought just like one of those species with short runs against a tight drag. Peering into waters somewhat discolored by recent heavy rains, as the fish came toward the surface I was shocked to see the black bars on a roundish body of a big sheepshead.
    Many quickly got the net under a sheepshead that was 23 inches long and weighed 9 1/4 pounds on my Garcia Abu Combi scale before we released it after a few quick photos.

As mentioned in my blog last week, I had been shocked once before by a sheepshead in the north. That was on Sept. 7, 2013 off a rock pile in Raritan Bay while seeking weakfish with Joe Massa on his My Three Sons out of Morgan Marina. Not wanting to use up the last few sandworms, I switched my jig head to a Gulp Jerk Shad and hooked a 20-inch, 7-pound sheepshead.

Since I’d never heard of a sheepshead in Raritan Bay before (and haven’t since), I figured that was a once in a lifetime experience. That sheepshead was also larger than any I’ve caught in Florida, but Sunday’s second “catch of a lifetime” made the earlier fish seem small.

It’s likely that sheepshead were more common in northern waters over a century ago when channel bass (red drum) were the primary inshore game fish up to the central N.J. Shore. Though large sheepshead are caught with some regularity in South Jersey up to the south jetty of Barnegat Inlet, they’re unusual north of there.

Sheepshead normally fight like a giant porgy, with lots of head-shaking, but the latest did none of that. In fact they are a giant porgy, being one of the largest members of the porgy family Sparidae. which is represented by many species in temperate and tropical waters worldwide. In addition to the prominent black bars, the crab-crushing teeth are a sure identifier
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sheepshead.jpg  

Posted it in the NY forum earlier:

White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

nice!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12