Thread: Shooting in Connecticut

Default Shooting in Connecticut

Its got to be a low point in this country's history.
    Its unthinkable what happened.
    Greatest country in the world??
    At one time yes, not now in my opinion.

My prayers and thoughts go out to all the children, families and friends.

This country is a mess, and by country I mean lots of citizens in it.
    The government is another total disaster.

This country has lost its moral compass.
    People got mad when Obama criticized some of the things going on in this country, well we should all look in the mirror.
    That this happened in this world, never mind this country is completely unacceptable.

US is my home and I love living here, but what the **** is going on??

A person is a little depressed, medicate them.
    A person has a little trouble finding a job, pay them for not working.
    Hey lets make smoking pot legal, that will solve everything.
    Kids spend hours each day playing games on computers, Ipads, etc. and killing aliens, zombies and people.....think this doesn't desensitize them?

This shooting in Connecticut is so sad, so horrific. Just cannot believe this has happened.
    Unbelievable sadness, incredible anger at this monster who did this.

Lots of people arbitrarily shooting people more often now. All tragic. This is beyond tragic.

And he wasn't a Muslim or a terrorist. He was a home grown American monster.

I can understand a motive for what happened on 911, it was unbelievable bad, cowardly.

But this shooting in Connecticut, 20 children between the ages of 5 and 7, unfathomable.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Default Re: Shooting in Connecticut

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    My prayers and thoughts go out to all the children, families and friends.

This country is a mess, and by country I mean lots of citizens in it.
    The government is another total disaster.

This country has lost its moral compass.

A person is a little depressed, medicate them.
    A person has a little trouble finding a job, pay them for not working.
    Hey lets make smoking pot legal, that will solve everything.
    Kids spend hours each day playing games on computers, Ipads, etc. and killing aliens, zombies and people.....think this doesn't desensitize them?
    I think you hit the nail on the head monty. I believe all the video games, violence, etc does desensitize these kids.
    They are not held accountable. Thinking of those children who died is saddening. They were all executed. The trauma they must have felt before they died, watching their classmates, must have been gut wrenching. I am so sad inside for those poor little angels. The only thing that consoles me now is that they will be angels in heaven. Anyone who has children has to be deeply affected by this. And you are right about this country, our morals and standards, what is acceptable and not, are going to hell in a handbasket.
    May God watch over all of them. They are in his care now. Glad the shooter is dead. If he lived I think one parent would have tried to take him out during the trial.

I feel numb from this. Whats more is how do you prevent it in the future? Some one the radio shows said there should be a cop in every school. How do you make that happen? Not feasible. Or gun control, some one said only cops should have guns. That is not feasible either. So what do you do? How you prevent it? You can't. If you took precautiions at 695,000 schools, it could happen at the 1000 schools that did not have precautions.

I don't see how anyone could have forseen this. I was reading an account of his older brother who was initially the suspect. They said they had no contact with each others. Must have been some weird stuff going on between the killer and his parents. But why would you take that anger out on innocent children? I don't even think of them as children. Between 5 and 7 they were still babies.

I think you are on to something talking about the desensitazation of the video games. We did not have massacres like this when I was growing up. The Jim Jones and the Jonestown was the biggest mass killing I can remember, but that one they did to themselves. Monty I wish I had more solutions. I only have regrets that we can't torture animals who do things like that, if they are still alive.

Kids today are too demanding and selfish. Fault of the video games or the fault of the parents? I don't know which. RIP and t&p for all of those little kids.

Good point jigfreak and others.

The story got to me too. I was listening to it on the radio as it unfolded. I get that there was some dysfunction in his family....have seen all too much of that growing up....but for him to take it out on those children.....it seems so mean spirited and selfish......

I hope folks don't take this the wrong way, but IMO we have turned into a selfish society. Rather, I would clarify and say we are very self-centered. There are many folks out there with good hearts and who unselfishly give of themselves.

However, there are a good portion of children who have been raised to be selfish....

*So selfish that when their parents become old and incontinent, they cannot be bothered helping them with their toilet needs...instead warehousing them in nursing homes...
    * So selfish that when life is not perfect, today's generation has a penchant for whining about every little thing through social media.
    * So selfish that sites like facebook and Twitter cater to the self-importance of this generation..... (I'm still trying to understand twitter......why is it important to know what stars like Paris Hilton had for lunch? Or where they're getting their dog groomed?)

The above are but a few examples.
    I don't mean to take away from the talk about this tragedy, Monty....I think it is a good thread....

although painful to talk about....

I clearly don't remember mass murders on this scale when I was growing up....so IMO something has changed in the fabric of society to change that....
    And I'm not a gun owner...but I think the mass rush to control guns will not resolve the underlying issues that can cause situations like this to develop....

I also don't have any concrete answers....and join all of you in expressing your sadness.....I have been thinking about this for the last 2 days.....

God, our Heavenly Father....
    Please accept the souls of these innocent victims into your House....
    And have mercy and compassion on those who were left behind.,....forever asking themselves the question..."Why?"

In your gracious benevolence please provide some guidance and comfort for those,,,,so they may somehow get on with their lives one day,
    after suffering such a terrible loss.......

May they All RIP
    Amen

I don't think gun control will do it either. Obama was just weeping that something must be done. You can bet that the something will have to do with gun control. We have a right to bear arms in the Constitution. Libs like noBama and others want to take that away. The criminals will always be able to get guns. This kid's Mom was a legally registered owner. There was no way she would have been able to know that he would do that. My .02. Thoughts and prayers.

I blame video games partly for desensitizing these kids to violence.
    This is from yahoo.com

The videogame industry is another that could be affected following the Sandy Hook tragedy, as fingers point toward the often violent games' effect on the psyche of American youth (Lanza was apparently a fan of the wildly popular, military-themed "Call of Duty"). These early reactions could lead to long-term changes in the business world, or we could go back to "business as usual" before long. This remains to be seen as this far-reaching, fast-moving story continues to unfold