I have also thought about getting a gun to protect my family. The past 5 years I have given it serious thought and may still try to legally get one. If I had a gun and someone was breaking into my house I would blast away. And maybe (hopefully) hit him.
But I just do not see the reason for these semi-automatic guns with 30 or so bullets in them that can be shot in less than 1/2 a minute.
So many extremes in this country, No guns vs the right for any type of gun. There is a reasonable middle.
Also on being allowed to purchase a gun, people bitching about having to wait a certain period of time for background checks. From what I have heard the last few days there are lots of people who just don't give a **** who has a gun as long as they can buy one when ever they want one. And people bitching about regulation.
That mortgage deregulation a few years ago didn't show how good we can handle non-regulated things that need to be regulated.
There are some things that need to be regulated, not going crazy here, but in my opinion I do not think the gun used in these killings should be available to citizens in this country. Yes it was a deranged monster who did this, got his hands on guns his mother should have had locked up. But she more than likely purchased that gun legally. Does anyone know if this gun used in these killings would have been legal before the assault weapons ban expired? Yes guns don't kill people, people do. Some people should not be near guns. And some guns that can cause mass killings like this should not be available....If so for what?
This country has veered off track. Greed, I don't give a **** about you as long as I'm happy this second attitude.
Somethings (MANY) have to change or I fear things will continue to worsen. I think there are going to be a lot more screwed up young adults the next few years with mental problems and the sense of entitlement, things don't look good.