Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CHEATING to win a fishing tourney?

Default CHEATING to win a fishing tourney?

How far would you go to win a tournament?
    Do you always follow the rules?

Maybe this guy went a little too far?

Friday, January 11, 2013 10:46am PST

Man wins fishing tourney with fish stolen from aquarium

By: David Strege

A man on the island of Guernsey in the English Channel caught a 13-pound bass to win an ocean fishing contest and $1,290, only he didn't actually catch the fish in the traditional sense. He stole it from the St. Peter Port Aquarium.

Matthew Clark, 29, posed for photos of his winning "catch" and claimed the prize in the Bailiwick Bass Club Open Competition before getting exposed by another competitor who recognized the fish.

"My wife and I took the kids to the aquarium and saw the bass in the tank," Shane Bentley told The Mirror. "It stood out because it had some very distinct markings on its head.

"It wasn't until the winning fish was lifted for the photo that I thought, 'That's the fish from the aquarium.'

"Next morning, I went to the aquarium and asked to see the bass with the markings. But neither myself nor the owner could find it anywhere."

Bentley told contest organizers, who then alerted police. The Mirror reported that Clark panicked and sold the bass to a fishmonger, but police matched the head of the fish carcass to the missing bass and arrested Clark.

Clark wound up confessing to burglary and fraud over the summer incident, and on Thursday he was given 100 hours of community service after taking a two-year oath of good behavior.

According to The Mirror, Clark owed the owner of the aquarium $2,400, so on the last day of the fishing tournament, he scaled cliffs, climbed a rope ladder, and snuck into the aquarium through a back door. He presumably used a net to catch the fish.

It was unknown whether Bentley caught a fish in the contest, but he did catch a thief.

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/...from+aquarium/

Default Re: CHEATING to win a fishing tourney?

Serves him right. If you can't do it fair and square why bother?

Default Re: How far would you go to win a fishing tourney?

Quote Originally Posted by plugcrazy View Post
    Serves him right. If you can't do it fair and square why bother?
    That's right. The recent case of Lance Armstrong comes to mind. Cheating to win is a win that you didn't earn.

That dirt bag should be swimming with the fishes.

What do you guys think of the recent winners in the Absecon b&t tourney? The first fish of the year. They won a few hundred and were bragging about it on facebook. The season opened at 12am, and at 1:30 they were at absecon to weigh the fish. That means they would have had to catch all 3 fish in between 12-12:30 am to get to the tackle shop by 1:30.

In a freshwater bass tournament if you cheat you lose. On a party boat if you get caught stuffing sinkers down a fishs gullet to win the pool you lose and might get your *** kicked too. If youre in a surf tournament and weigh in a bass your buddy caught in a boat as your own fish thats cheating. These guys were fishing the power plant all winter and bragging about it. Why should they get prizes for bass they probably caught before midnight. Thoughts?

I think that is disgusting. You can check them out on facebook urban anglers. Bragging about catching fish all winter just check out the page. They they just happened to catch those fish at midnight? Total bs they should be disqualified if they cheated. Lots of other guys out there fishing all night. If they did catch those fish after midnight its good but it seems mighty suspicious to me.

Theres no way they caught all those fish in the first half hour legitimately. I agree hookset they cheated somehow. I fished the plant many times and the bite isn't always on. Def not at 12 midnight. The urban a-holes. Look at the absecon site. One of the fish is all red and looks old like it's been sitting in a cooler with ice for a long time. Cooler fish. Total bs Before anyone calls me a hater check out their facebook page and see for yourself. Not hating on catching fish all winter lots of people I know do it. Putting it on the internet is just plain arrogant and something only a newbie would do. Or an internet fisherman.

All due respect you don't have proof that they cheated, do you?

Bababooey they have been catching fish there all winter. Says so right on their facebook page. Pics dates and everything. From forked river it would take 45 minutes to get to the bait shop. They would have had to catch those fish in 30 or 40 minutes like the other guys said. What are the odds of catching 3 fish, not just keepers, but fish up to and above 20 lbs, in such a short time frame. You don't have to be a detective to know something is fishy. And not just the catch.

people on another website saw them,they should be hung by there testicles until dead

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

You can't kill the kids for cheating finchaser, can you?
    I agree with those who said disqualification. I am sure many would like to fish the back when the season is closed. It is closed for a reason because the fish are so concentrated. The thing that probably irritates people the most is the bragging. Folks have been fishing closed areas for decades. They kept it quiet like jigfreak said. This is the new generation. The human element demands they brag about it. That is the part I find unsportsmanlike. I don't think any fish taken illegally (if they are illegal) should be included in a legitimate contest. Just my opinion

IMO some people like that grow up to be poachers because some are following in there fathers foot steps they had to learn it some where you don't wake up dishonest. My father taught me if your not going to eat it release it. I guess were back to hanging them by there testicles Your new generation is having more and more things taken away from us(access) do them bragging about it on FACE BOOK and there sloppy wasteful ways with no respect for the resource or peoples property. As I always say Bunker and Internet will be the demise of the bass,which i never thought I would witness again in my life time but who says I'll live another 4 or 5 years

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

I don't know this place or or contest but here are my observations. buckethead you said kids. I am assuming they are younger the 18 to 20 something generation. This is a generation that does not have the motivation of their parents. When was the last time you heard of kids working 2 part time jobs when they were in school? The last time you heard of kids giving their parents money from their paychecks to pay for household expenses. Forget about sitting in front of the PC - they do it all via links and apps on their i-phones. This is a generation that is so connected to their phones they come to dinner on a special occasion or the birthday of a relative playing games on the phones or texting while eating. My kids have done this and I have confiscated the phones overnight. You should see the fireworks when that happens. It is frustrating that the mindset of a lot of this generation is to work less and play video games more. I have tried to instill the values I grew up with in them. It is tough. They seem disconnected from society and social responsibility.

By no means do I want to put all young folk in this category. Our young generation are our leaders and innovators of tomorrow. I wish they would put down the damn cell phones for a few hours a day though. Phones have become like an addiction. I don't know if our society is better off with the latest gadgetry or not. the sad thing is it is all here to stay and there is no turning back.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    IMO some people like that grow up to be poachers because some are following in there fathers foot steps they had to learn it some where you don't wake up dishonest. My father taught me if your not going to eat it release it. I guess were back to hanging them by there testicles Your new generation is having more and more things taken away from us(access) do them bragging about it on FACE BOOK and there sloppy wasteful ways with no respect for the resource or peoples property. As I always say Bunker and Internet will be the demise of the bass,which i never thought I would witness again in my life time but who says I'll live another 4 or 5 years
    I agree, you are right on the $$ finchaser. Unfortunately we as parents try our best. I have tried with my children. They call me mean sometimes. They don't know what that word means. When I was a lad I was beaten with the back of my father's hand. If you mis-behaved or talked back you got hit. That is how it was and there was no protective services then. I am not saying that was the best way. It did teach us to behave and respect each other though. One of the biggest things I see among young folks today (btw what generation are they, Generation Z?.) I don't know what category they are now, but the respect and consideration for others is not there in a lot of young adults in that age group

Disqualify them if they did cheat. Isn't that what happened to the lady that got the world record fluke and then a raccoon ate it?

I don't know about cheating or not. The playing field should be level. If someone has an unfair advantage and got fish before the opening that is not sportsmanlike. my .02

If it smells funny it probably is.

another guy who cheated and got busted. Glad to see it happen he deserves it.

http://www.parkrapidsenterprise.com/...-loses-license
    Cheating angler gets seven days in jail, loses license
    A Long Prairie angler long suspected of cheating at fishing tournaments was given seven days in jail Monday for cheating at the Park Rapids American Legion Community Fishing Derby this winter.

Alfred Tom Mead, 72, pled guilty to a felony charge of Theft By Swindle May 20, for sneaking a previously caught fish into the tournament Feb. 2. He has two prior gaming convictions and a decade-long trail of suspicion about his tournament winnings.

Your conduct had a major impact on these things (fishing tournaments), Judge Robert Tiffany scolded him. I hope you realize the seriousness of your conduct. Cheating, the judge said. ?takes the enjoyment and joy out of it for those who bring their kids? and honest participants.

Mead is to report to the Hubbard County jail in one week.

He will be on probation for four years, during which he is barred from the Legion Club, was fined $200 and ordered to pay a $75 public defender co-payment.

During his probation, prosecutor Erika Randall asked that he not be allowed to participate in any fishing contests or tournaments, and that he apologize to the Legion.

Several Legion representatives were in the courtroom but chose not to speak. After the sentencing, they said justice was served.

I like what the judge said at the end about ruining a family outing, Legion manager Jerry Benham said.

Mead has been a winner at the Park Rapids tourney before, along with other regional fishing contests in which he won major prizes.

The felony he was convicted of carried a maximum of 5 years in jail and/or a $10,000 fine.

The essence of the charge is trying to obtain property by swindle, through artificial, trick, device or any other means.

Mead admitted to catching two northern pike on another lake and keeping them alive to bring to the American Legion tournament.

In exchange for the guilty plea, Randall dismissed the game and fish violation hed been charged with, for transporting live fish.

That posed a dilemma for Tiffany, who wondered aloud if he could revoke Meads fishing license on the theft charge alone.

Tiffany reasoned that since the conduct falls squarely within it, (the theft charge) the judge yanked Meads fishing and hunting privileges for two years, in Hubbard County and all adjacent counties.

The grand prize was an Ice Castle fish house valued at $10,000. Mead was planning on registering the fish in the tournament in an effort to win a prize, the complaint states.

In 2009, Mead was convicted in two separate incidents. In January in Todd County, he admitted fishing over the limit, for which he paid a $145 fine and $90 in court fees. He did not appear in court.

Two months later, he was convicted similarly in Otter Tail County of fishing with two hooks or a treble hook not attached to an artificial lure. He was fined $35 and ordered to pay $90 in costs, again without having to appear in court.

During a brief conference in the courtroom prior to sentencing, Legion members questioned Randall as to whether Mead got a slap on the wrist.

Randall replied that his felony conviction will taint his record permanently.

If he applies for a hunting or fishing license, Probation is notified, she told the Legion representatives.

Mead did not comment during the proceedings and left the courthouse with his wife.

Default Sportsmanship - Winning at any Cost?.....How Far would you go?

There was a fight on the jetties yesterday......

I specifically won't go into who, where,
    We're keeping this general for a variety of reasons....
    But anyone who fishes a lot, knows who, and where........

We're not going to name names either.....
    Please bear that in mind....and please don't make me take the time out from my busy day to monitor and censor this thread.....
    I will censor it if I have to.....so please show some respect and follow my request to speak in general terms here....

**The fight had to do with sportsmanship.....and how some of us would, and do, go to any lengths to win a tourney....

As mentioned, those who fish a lot, and have been fishing for 50 years or more.....already know......
    I was asked to start a thread to raise awareness.....
    Having said that.....some of the examples here....will make it clear to those who fish a lot,....that the possibilities would be a small subset of people.......
    As I said, please don't play guessing games....or mention names,,,,,,'
    If you want to relate examples of your personal experience, you can....but without the names of the actors....

This is but one example....of several....of questionable behavior....
    I want the readers here, to ask themselves, what they would do, or not do....in situations like this.....

Asbury Park Club Marquis Tourney 2013
    This tourney happens in June every year...open to the general public.....
    * One of the conditions was that the winning fish had to come from the "front"...as I understand it, ocean and inlet fishing...
    Nothing from the holes in the bay, bridges, etc, where big fish are known to sit every year till the water warms up or the bunker leave the "back"

Toward the end of the tourney, the leading fish was 13#....as many can remember, there were not many big fish to be caught from land in that month......
    I knew of several fish larger than that caught during June.....I got a high teen fish, but as a rule don't enter tourneys.....
    A few anglers I know, got fish bigger, to the mid 20s......
    Here's where it gets dicey.....
    Those who fish the "front" know this clearly....there were no tourney winning fish coming from the jetties at that time last year....I and some others were out there nights at a time (after that brief spurt of activity in late May)...with no jetty action...some of the best of the best, were hopping those jetties at night.....looking for that 20 or better bass,...and they just weren't there.....

So at the end of the tourney.....the leading bass is 13#...a very decent fish given the poor conditions we had last year.....
    The tourney was won.....by a bass of over 20#...I believe it was 25.....

Where did that bass come from?

I and others were out fishing the one place "out front" in two counties that was producing larger bass,....usually only one a night....
    and I can tell you for sure that the tourney wnner did not come from, where these bigger fish were....
    The network of people I share intel with knows who fishes there, and what's caught.....

So...if it wasn't from the only place in the "front" that would have produced a bass like that.......
    Did it come from the "back"?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast