Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CHEATING to win a fishing tourney?

^(This is a rhetorical question....)
    I can't answer that....and you shouldn't try to answer it either....
    But for those of us who know how and where fish generally move during the season...it was puzzling.....
    And brought up to me,. as something folks here might talk about...

What I would like to do here....raising awareness.....
    is.....
    1. Have folks here relate what they would do, and wouldn't do...to win a tourney.....

2. Would you bend the rules a bit?

3. Is it really unethical if the tourney rules say fish have to be caught from the "front"...and you happen to know where there a few large....in the back.....is that OK. or not OK?

4. If a tourney specifies "land only" and you know were some big fish gather up.....and can only reach them in a kayak.....is is acceptable to get them in a kayak....and then weigh them in as if you caught them from shore?

These are all ethical issues that could arise....for anyone participating in a tourney....
    I would like our members here, to have an adult discussion, on
    A. what winning means to you....and how far you would go, just to say you won a tourney....

B. Which of the above questions/instances above, would be acceptable to you....and which would not?

Thanks for reading....and thanks for your opinions.....

The prizes at stake have a lot to do with it as well as "bragging rights".

Nice example:

2013 Mid-Atlantic $500.000

Payout Summary

Base Prize $468,000.00
    $1000 Calcutta $102,460.00
    $1500 Calcutta $149,460.00
    $2500 Calcutta $242,050.00
    On The Board Reward $199,280.00
    White Marlin Pro Jackpot $413,600.00
    My Port Calcutta - CAPE MAY $118,440.00
    My Port Calcutta - OCEAN CITY $115,620.00
    Total Payout $1,808,910.00

I think if you break the rules you should be disqualified. There should be no exceptions. Cheating on your taxes is something people do as well. If you get caught you can go to jail. I am assuming there is not enough evidence so far and that is why you are not naming the person or persons. If it was a club they should kick that person out. And their name should be posted when that happens. Just my .02. Thanks for raising the issue. I have no respect for cheaters.

right cheating is cheating no matter who you are

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

NO tolorance for cheating AT ALL!! If ya cant play by the rules dont play at all!!! No matter what it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Blazin420 View Post
    NO tolorance for cheating AT ALL!! If ya cant play by the rules dont play at all!!! No matter what it is...
    Exactly! How hard up does a guy have to be for recognition that they would cheat at any cost to win a contest. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.
    i think you have to have to inforce the rules the same way. Otherwise the contest has no true meaning or merit.

Agree 100%.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

I heard the story from one of my buddies when we were out drinking last nite. Its true. Just ask Joe D. No one should be allowed to get away with that.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    This is but one example....of several....of questionable behavior....
    I want the readers here, to ask themselves, what they would do, or not do....in situations like this.....

Asbury Park Club Marquis Tourney 2013
    This tourney happens in June every year...open to the general public.....
    * One of the conditions was that the winning fish had to come from the "front"...as I understand it, ocean and inlet fishing...
    Nothing from the holes in the bay, bridges, etc, where big fish are known to sit every year till the water warms up or the bunker leave the "back"

So if it wasn't from the only place in the "front" that would have produced a bass like that.......
    Did it come from the "back"?

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    The prizes at stake have a lot to do with it as well as "bragging rights".

Nice example:
    2013 Mid-Atlantic $500.000

Payout Summary

Base Prize $468,000.00
    $1000 Calcutta $102,460.00
    $1500 Calcutta $149,460.00
    $2500 Calcutta $242,050.00
    On The Board Reward $199,280.00
    White Marlin Pro Jackpot $413,600.00
    My Port Calcutta - CAPE MAY $118,440.00
    My Port Calcutta - OCEAN CITY $115,620.00
    Total Payout $1,808,910.00
    Jbarbosa you have a good point here. Dark correct me if I am wrong but I think the top prize for that Asbury fishing club tournament was $400. Cheating for that small sum of $$ would reveal it is all about ego for some of the anglers out there. It is disappointing to read. Years ago if it was discovered that someone was cheating and it was exposed they would have been removed from the club immediately. We are much more lenient nowadays.

if u cheat in a tournament u r as bad as a poacher and a slimy piece of chit someone needs to turn you in an expose it

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    right cheating is cheating no matter who you are
    Quote Originally Posted by plugcrazy View Post
    Exactly! How hard up does a guy have to be for recognition that they would cheat at any cost to win a contest. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.
    i think you have to have to inforce the rules the same way. Otherwise the contest has no true meaning or merit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Agree 100%.
    Quote Originally Posted by wish4fish View Post
    if u cheat in a tournament u r as bad as a poacher and a slimy piece of chit someone needs to turn you in an expose it

I almost forgot I started this thread a year ago....
    Since then there have been some recent developments in some of the surf contests.....

I received word the other day that some people are weighing in boat-caught fish in surf tourneys.......
    It is so despicable it makes me sad for them.....

That's all I can say for now while the investigation is under way.....
    I regret that I cannot be more specific........

If the news comes out in the general press.....you folks can free to talk about it....
    In the meantime.......please do not try to put a name/names...to the act...just yet.....
    Anyone who is dialed in...in any of the major fishing clubs is already aware of these proclivities..I just want to thank those in the clubs who do not tolerate this...and will continue to ban members when it's discovered....

But you can continue to share your opinions on how you feel about things like this......
    and how it taints the playing field...for all the honest fishermen out there......

If anyone sees any updates, or any other mentions of cheating in saltwater tourneys.....that have been published and can be corroborated....please feel free to post...

Thanks....
    And thanks for not naming the names...just yet......
    It's only fair to wait until this is further documented and corroborated......

If you have to cheat for any reason you suck as a fishermen period actually I wouldn't call you a fishermen because your a ****head.It does happen, whoever thought corruption and greed would be related to fishing tourneys I never fished them personally for that reason.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

If true their names should be publicized and they should be kicked out of whatever club they are in. Zero tolerance. Anything else would not be fair to the honest folks. Please keep us posted.

I agree anyone who would do this is lower than whale s*** and post the name. I know you don't want us to say anything until its official but there is a guy who posts on facebook all the time. It's like he is taunting all the other fishermen out there. "I got fish to 25pds last night while u were sleeping." Wouldn't be surprised if it was the same guy that weighed that fish in.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    If you have to cheat for any reason you suck as a fishermen period actually I wouldn't call you a fishermen because your a ****head.It does happen, whoever thought corruption and greed would be related to fishing tourneys I never fished them personally for that reason.
    x2 man that is terrible. It's just fishing it isn't life or death! Why can't everyone just play by the rules?

Some more examples of poor sportsmanship are rising to the surface lately. I'll come back and try to speak about it in general terms when I get a chance.

There are some folks who will do or say anything to buy themselves credibility. I feel bad that as a society we have come to that. In the meantime, if you're out there and not catching....remember that there's no shame in trying, and failing....
    Failing builds character. I've tried to succeed at numerous things in life, fallen flat on my face with some.....and succeeded at others....

The true measure of a man, is what he does after he gets back up, dusts himself off....and moves forward....with honesty.
    Food for thought....

Other opinions welcome....

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    The true measure of a man, is what he does after he gets back up, dusts himself off....and moves forward....with honesty.
    Food for thought....

Other opinions welcome....
    Sorry to hear that ds. I have also heard it said the true measure is what he does when no one else is looking.
    Catch that short at the beach at 3am and no one is around. does it go back in the water, or slipped in a bag or cooler?
    Only the shadow knows for sure.

Apparently the leaders in the recent tourney failed a lie detector test. So cheating is still a factor in big money tourneys.
    http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2..._shore_article

I know them

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

^ So whats the scoop? The real story? Did they cheat or not?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast