Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any one getting herring lately?

Default anyone getting herring lately?

In the inlets? or is it too cold? thanks

Default Re: anyone getting herring lately?

anyone fishing for herring or anything else right now is a die hard. I'm done till it gets a tad warmer. sorry I can't help with any thing further. Good luck. And let us know if you do find some, pm me if you want to keep it on the d/l.

Don't you folks have a moratorium on herring fishing down there?

Dogfish I don't think so I think that is for a different kind of herring. Has anyone heard of any herring reports lately?

Water is too cold

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Well I think they are now coming in. We got some on the weekend in Brooklyn. Maybe you guys have them this weekend after the storm

Good to know thanks for the info!

Pickled herring hmmmm.

Thanks for the info guys I might start looking for herring in the inlets after the noreaster and things settle down. The back bays are cold yet too cold for consistent bass. Hoping the 3rd week of march will be the ticket.

sea herring are gone and herring that arrive next it is illegal to target,catch or possess same goes for shad I believe this year

Early reports of herring in Jamaica Bay the bass won't be far behind!

Just thought I would ask has anyone been getting the sea herring consistently in the inlets yet? Thank you for any intel

they have come and gone

Hey all I was wondering if you or anyone you know is getting herring. I read some reports about them getting them in long island and thought they might be here too. Also just a little confused. The herring fishing is closed so does that mean we can't fish for the winter herring too? Aren't they a different species? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hookedonbass View Post
    Hey all I was wondering if you or anyone you know is getting herring. I read some reports about them getting them in long island
    They have shown up in the sound and not just one but quite a few locations. I would be surprised if you folks are not seeing them as well. Try incoming tide at the end of day with sabiki rigs.

Was out this afternoon looking. Quite a few out fishing. Didn't see a herring or fish caught in 15 mile space of shoreline, inlet included. Maybe soon but they weren't there today.

Quote Originally Posted by BassBuddah View Post
    I would be surprised if you folks are not seeing them as well. Try incoming tide at the end of day with sabiki rigs.
    You're right on the $$. They just showed up in RB. Have to be on a dock or pier to catch. Sea herring. The old guys are catching ok. Ask dark he knows some of them too. May give it a try this weekend.

thanks ledhead. some small stripers showed up recently. Do you guys think its in any way related to the herring?

A fair amount of Bass showed up in SNJ back bays and someone I know actually got a teen fish which did have 2 Intact herring inside. Most fish were slot sized but footballs so I dod suspect they followed small patches of herring in.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkHart View Post
    A fair amount of Bass showed up in SNJ back bays and someone I know actually got a teen fish which did have 2 Intact herring inside. Most fish were slot sized but footballs so I dod suspect they followed small patches of herring in.
    Good news thanks for the intel. A guy I know just got a bunch of em in jbay. New years blitz?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	159642.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	19129

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast