Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: any one getting herring lately?

thanks sharkhart. Nice sized herring 7deadly!

Any herring being caught lately by y'all up in the North? Been reading reports of them being around but also wondering why it seems there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in NJ. Pickled herring anyone?

Funny you should mention that. I went to Jersey for Thanksgiving dinner and to visit family over the weekend. The guys were catching stripers full of herring. I didn't bring my pole with me and was def mad. Seems like there is still a bite near that island beach park. I asked them if they were catching herring by themselves and one dude said to me "why would I do that? Use them for bait?" I tried to explain you can pickle them and he looked at me like I was from Mars. Jersey dudes are a little fem if you ask me. Herring are lots of fun to catch and pickle. You may have to get your hands dirty and smell like fish a little when catching them. Still a lot of fun. My .02.

Heard of some herring at the manasquan inlet on the incoming. Shouldn't all the inlets hold herring this time of year or is the dredging affecting that? thanks

Seems like fishing for herring in the winter in Jersey is a lost art.
    maybe a lot of guys are confused with the Spring River herring, and aren't aware that you can fish for them?

Tons in Shark River inlet they are dredging the manasquan

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

thank you sir. you would think the increased need for dredging would give the ACOE a clue that all of their Engineering hoopla is not working.

Wondered if any of you gents are catching the herring yet. I dont need exact location. General area is fine. With this cold snap, I'm thinking they might be around and may give it a try after Asbury today. Thanks

Yes, we were getting them before the storm. Sea herring not the river herring that are protected. Try any port or marina with deep water. Sabiki rigs on the incoming tide have been best for us. Good luck

Thanks for the intel.

Might try for some this weekend. If I get any I'll post a report

X2 they're in the inlets as well.

X3 a lot of bunker are showing up at the usual places. Hopefully this is a sign of a good year to come

Not my pic, posted by someone else. They have been getting herring and mackerel, believe it or not, at some of the SS inlet areas. I may take a ride this afternoon if the weather holds and it's not too wet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 207584.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12